Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
robo hippy robo hippy is offline

Default Why do you participate (or lurk) in this group?

This was the first turning forum that I found. I still visit it once a
day or so. It isn't the most active. I guess the only real down side
to it is the spammers with the sex stuff and cheap knock off retail
stuff. How boring. I like mentoring as much as I do turning. I have
found the forums to be a bigger learning experience than any of the
turning magazines out there. Made some friends, even met Mac in person
once. Great group of people.
robo hippy

On Mar 6, 9:08*am, "Bob Crawford" wrote:
"charlieb" wrote in message

There are a fair number of regulars in this group, as many if not more
drop ins looking for answers to What, Where and How, and a whole
bunch of lurkers - who hopefully will become participants.

So how'd you get here, why, and what's missing?

I lurk a lot, and participate on occasion. *I've learned SO very much simply
from reading here, and, on occasion, have attempted to pass along a few
tips, hints and tricks, when I believe what I've "discovered" is of interest
to the rest of you. *Over the past 2 or 3 years, I've found everyone here to
be gracious, informative and more than willing to help out a newcomer.
Once, when I had a ? about the Morse Taper on my lathe, I received an answer
in less than 15 mins, from more than a few posters. *I can't get service
like that from my local quickie oil change shop! *

Having given the question some thought, I can't think of anything missing..
I especially enjoy the links to others works, using their efforts as pure
inspiration to spur me on when my mind seems to become "fixated" on one or
two methods or design techniques.

Bob Crawford