Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch Arch is offline

Default Why do you participate (or lurk) in this group?

I am not so arrogant as to think that I know all there is to know about
woodturning and neither am I a doomsday personality. I sure hope my
comments don't come over either way.

Rcw is a great source for answers to woodturning questions, but down
through the years I've learned as much as I need to know for the kind of
turning I've settled into. The many "new ideas" presented on rcw are
interesting, some even exciting, but they seldom lead to my following up
on them at the lathe.

For me it's the pleasures of friendly and sometimes not so friendly give
& take of diverse members with a common interest in woodturning that I
enjoy more than what I learn about turning wood. It's that _enjoyment
that has kept me active on the ng for years with posts by this
"crotchety ole coot" that often could better be left unsaid.

I remember with happy satisfaction so many turners who have passed
through rcw, each changing it for the better. Some I've heartedly agreed
with and some I've heatedly disagree with, but we always ended up as net
friends. Some have become leaders in turning circles, even becoming
known internationally. Some have 'turned' to other groups and some like
old turners "have just faded away". I'm probably about to join in that
number, dammit.

I won't embarass any of my valued old net friends here with soupy
maudlin commentary, but please know how much I appreciate each of you.
As for the newest and relatively newest members, thanks new friends for
keeping rcw going as an unmoderated friendly source for whatever each of
you hope to get out of a woodturning news group.

And thanks for asking, Charlie.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter