Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch Arch is offline

Default Why do you participate (or lurk) in this group?

Hi Charles, Long time, no post. I suspect I'm preachin to the choir
here. For calipering spindles, I find that lightly but deliberately
riding the tip of the caliper's forward leg (the one nearest to me) on
the leading surface of the revolving spindle, while keeping the back
leg's tip up & free until it's _almost ready to drop down over the wood
works for me. Think 'rubbing' the bevel and cutting downhill with a
gouge or staying off the trailing edge of a skew.

Don't forget the value of a set of thick and cheap open end wrenches
with the tips filed smooth and slightly wide for accurate and easily
repeated specific diameters.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter