Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default New (to me) steady rest idea for goblets

I really don't use steady rests as much as I should.. seems like they're in the
my way a lot... gets to be a problem with goblets and glasses..

Great idea in the Winter AAW magazine in the tips section and I tried it this
morning:

After hollowing and sanding the inside of the bowl, I put a tennis ball in the
bottom of the bowl and brought the tail stock up to it with a cup center on it..
Works GREAT!
Why didn't I know about this a couple of years ago, or at least a couple of
weeks ago when I started the "goblets from hell" for a client?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"mac davis" wrote: clip) Why didn't I know about this a couple of years
ago, (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Then, do you also know about the "string steady" invented by Escaulen? He
also invented a very interesting ball chuck, for off-axis turning.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"mac davis" wrote in message
I really don't use steady rests as much as I should.. seems like they're in
the
my way a lot... gets to be a problem with goblets and glasses..

Great idea in the Winter AAW magazine in the tips section and I tried it
this
morning:

After hollowing and sanding the inside of the bowl, I put a tennis ball in
the
bottom of the bowl and brought the tail stock up to it with a cup center
on it..
Works GREAT!
Why didn't I know about this a couple of years ago, or at least a couple
of
weeks ago when I started the "goblets from hell" for a client?

You weren't keeping up on your reading. Old technique, but a good one. I
simply take the (Oneway) steady I used at 9:00 and move it to 3:00 when I'm
refining the exterior. The Nova, and I think, some other rotating tails
allow you to make tapered plywood disks of any size and bolt them to the
rotating center. Works as well as tennis balls or wooden cones, in my
experience.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Mac, I wonder if AAW would publish a tip about the inclined plane or
maybe a little more up to date, the wheel. I bet it's more likely you
once knew about the tennis ball and just forgot about it.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Arch" wrote: (clip) a little more up to date, the wheel. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I don't think I have heard about that one, Arch. Could you post a link?
And the plane, also, if you're so inclined.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Nov 30, 12:17 pm, mac davis wrote:
I really don't use steady rests as much as I should.. seems like they're in the
my way a lot... gets to be a problem with goblets and glasses..

Great idea in the Winter AAW magazine in the tips section and I tried it this
morning:

After hollowing and sanding the inside of the bowl, I put a tennis ball in the
bottom of the bowl and brought the tail stock up to it with a cup center on it..
Works GREAT!
Why didn't I know about this a couple of years ago, or at least a couple of
weeks ago when I started the "goblets from hell" for a client?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Hi Mac, I suppose a tennis ball would work but it seems to me it would
be a bit cumbersome.
I use a piece of styrofoam. Some use a paper towel but I prefer the
styrofoam.
Bob
http://www.outofcontrol-woodturning.com
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 17:27:10 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

"mac davis" wrote: clip) Why didn't I know about this a couple of years
ago, (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Then, do you also know about the "string steady" invented by Escaulen? He
also invented a very interesting ball chuck, for off-axis turning.

string steady?
Sounds kinda kinky Leo, but tell me about it..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 18:39:55 GMT, "George" wrote:

You weren't keeping up on your reading. Old technique, but a good one. I
simply take the (Oneway) steady I used at 9:00 and move it to 3:00 when I'm
refining the exterior. The Nova, and I think, some other rotating tails
allow you to make tapered plywood disks of any size and bolt them to the
rotating center. Works as well as tennis balls or wooden cones, in my
experience.

I'd rather go with the tennis ball, George... the inside of the bowl was sanded
to 1500 grit and I don't wanna do that again.. ;-]

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 16:44:35 -0500, (Arch) wrote:

Hi Mac, I wonder if AAW would publish a tip about the inclined plane or
maybe a little more up to date, the wheel. I bet it's more likely you
once knew about the tennis ball and just forgot about it.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

nope.. totally new tome, Arch... and I'm easily impressed..

I was using a turned cone in the toe of a sock, but the tennis ball is easier
and "one size fits all"..
I actually read the tip a few weeks ago and didn't try it because these goblets
have a 3 1/2" bell.. I didn't realize until this morning that though in the
picture the ball was larger than the bell opening, it works as well or better if
the ball is inside the bell..
maybe because it contacts closer to the stem?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 00:29:08 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

"Arch" wrote: (clip) a little more up to date, the wheel. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I don't think I have heard about that one, Arch. Could you post a link?
And the plane, also, if you're so inclined.

I know about the plane, but only from Fantasy island reruns..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 16:39:26 -0800 (PST), turnerbob
wrote:

[...]

Wouldn't the styrofoam scratch the inside of the bowl, Bob?

I can't say how the tennis ball would work on a smaller goblet, but it fits
snugly in the bottom of mine and just sort of sits there until I bring the tail
stock forward..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"mac davis" wrote: String steady?
Sounds kinda kinky Leo, but tell me about it
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Escaulen shows this idea at his demos, by turning goblets or trembleurs that
are fantastically tall. He cuts out a wooden "question mark," and supports
it from the ways so the stem goes through the center of the loop (it is
adjustable.) He drives four small nails equally spaced around the loop, and
winds string radially from the nails to the goblet stem, so there is support
in four directions. He ties the strings and stem together with a short
piece of string, tied in a knot. The stem can spin inside the knot, but it
is gently supported--maybe every 6 to 8". He can turn stuff a couple feet
in length and maybe 1/8" diameter.

I suppose a string, looped in this way, and tied with a knot could be
considered "kinky." Whatever *turns* you on.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote:

[...]

Hi Mac, The type of styrofoam I use is the type that things come
packed in. It's fairly soft.
I've been using foam for years and have never seen a scratch. I like
the fact that I can shape it to any size easily.
I'm sure the tennis ball works but I would prefer having something
that goes inside the cup to better support the piece laterally.
Especially with a thin stem goblet. I've turned a lot of goblets but
never with 3.5 " id. At that size I imagine the tennis ball works very
well.
Bob
http://www.outofcontrol-woodturning.com
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I've never tried it and don't know if it works, but maybe it will
impress Mac.

I think I vaguely remember that for holding and steadying fragile
goblets to do the stems, polyurethane foam sealant can be sprayed in the
cup and when it hardens the tailcenter can be applied to it. I know it
sticks to wood, so how to get it out later? Line the cup with saran?
Plus how would you judge how much the foam will expand. The expanding &
hardening foam could possibly have had other uses.

Just forget I brought it up, Mac. Best to serve a tennis ball and ace
that goblet. Just be careful not to double fault.
Arragh!

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"mac davis" wrote in message
On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 18:39:55 GMT, "George" wrote:

You weren't keeping up on your reading. Old technique, but a good one. I
simply take the (Oneway) steady I used at 9:00 and move it to 3:00 when
I'm
refining the exterior. The Nova, and I think, some other rotating tails
allow you to make tapered plywood disks of any size and bolt them to the
rotating center. Works as well as tennis balls or wooden cones, in my
experience.

I'd rather go with the tennis ball, George... the inside of the bowl was
sanded
to 1500 grit and I don't wanna do that again.. ;-]

I don't do that ever, but an angled groove in the plywood disk holds just
the rim if you are fastidious, and in no way prevents you from reburnishing
once you're done.

http://www.scrollsaws.com/WoodLathe/woodlatheString.htm

Dental floss is strong and prewaxed. Plus the mint scent can cove up any
residual from the mothballs!

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 12:08:53 GMT, "George" wrote:

http://www.scrollsaws.com/WoodLathe/woodlatheString.htm

Dental floss is strong and prewaxed. Plus the mint scent can cove up any
residual from the mothballs!

holy crap!
If you're going to make all those wood parts, you might as well put brackets and
roller blade wheels on 'em..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 20:33:36 -0800 (PST), turnerbob
wrote:

Hi Mac, The type of styrofoam I use is the type that things come
packed in. It's fairly soft.
I've been using foam for years and have never seen a scratch. I like
the fact that I can shape it to any size easily.
I'm sure the tennis ball works but I would prefer having something
that goes inside the cup to better support the piece laterally.
Especially with a thin stem goblet. I've turned a lot of goblets but
never with 3.5 " id. At that size I imagine the tennis ball works very
well.
Bob

I might have to try that on smaller goblet bowls, bob... These are large enough
for the tennis ball to bottom out in the bowl, so it seems to center well..
I was amazed at how much vibration it stopped... much better than my steady rest
did..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 03:40:39 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

"mac davis" wrote: String steady?
Sounds kinda kinky Leo, but tell me about it
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Escaulen shows this idea at his demos, by turning goblets or trembleurs that
are fantastically tall. He cuts out a wooden "question mark," and supports
it from the ways so the stem goes through the center of the loop (it is
adjustable.) He drives four small nails equally spaced around the loop, and
winds string radially from the nails to the goblet stem, so there is support
in four directions. He ties the strings and stem together with a short
piece of string, tied in a knot. The stem can spin inside the knot, but it
is gently supported--maybe every 6 to 8". He can turn stuff a couple feet
in length and maybe 1/8" diameter.

I suppose a string, looped in this way, and tied with a knot could be
considered "kinky." Whatever *turns* you on.

Yeah, I looked at the link that George posted.. looks way more complicated than
putting a tennis ball inside the bowl and using the tail stock..
Now, if I can find an assortment of different diameter tennis or rubber balls..
;-]

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Mac, you seem to be blending two different issues. The tennis
ball/sytrofoam/toilet paper inside the goblet is doing a different job from
the string steady. The latter is strictly for controlling deflection and
vibration in a long thin stem. One of the former devices is still needed to
stabilize the bowl.

BTW, IMO, it would not be as easy or effective to run roller blade wheels
against a very thin stem as string.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"mac davis" wrote in message
On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 12:08:53 GMT, "George" wrote:

http://www.scrollsaws.com/WoodLathe/woodlatheString.htm

Dental floss is strong and prewaxed. Plus the mint scent can cove up any
residual from the mothballs!

holy crap!
If you're going to make all those wood parts, you might as well put
brackets and
roller blade wheels on 'em..

Got that right, but in it's simplest form, a string steady is one string or
so opposite the cut. Personally, I use fingers wrapped over on thin stuff,
but there's all kinds of options.

Have you seen the bowl steadies some people make?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 17:32:25 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

Mac, you seem to be blending two different issues. The tennis
ball/sytrofoam/toilet paper inside the goblet is doing a different job from
the string steady. The latter is strictly for controlling deflection and
vibration in a long thin stem. One of the former devices is still needed to
stabilize the bowl.

BTW, IMO, it would not be as easy or effective to run roller blade wheels
against a very thin stem as string.

I see your point, Leo..
These goblets (known locally as the Goblets From Hell) have 1/2" diameter stems
about 5 or 6" long, so there isn't much deflection.. The tennis ball was an
excellent vibration damper, especially on a goblet with a warped bowl..

When I do thinner stems, I've been using a steady rest that I made..

BTW: I parted off the third and LAST goblet today and it was MUCH easier with
the tennis ball stabilizing the bowl... wish I'd used it on the first 3..

Picture of the tennis ball setup on ABPW this morning..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 17:46:28 GMT, "George" wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 12:08:53 GMT, "George" wrote:

http://www.scrollsaws.com/WoodLathe/woodlatheString.htm

Dental floss is strong and prewaxed. Plus the mint scent can cove up any
residual from the mothballs!

holy crap!
If you're going to make all those wood parts, you might as well put
brackets and
roller blade wheels on 'em..

Got that right, but in it's simplest form, a string steady is one string or
so opposite the cut. Personally, I use fingers wrapped over on thin stuff,
but there's all kinds of options.

Me too.. learned that from a Dick Sing pen book and wish I'd learned it years
ago..

Have you seen the bowl steadies some people make?

Yeah.. I have a couple of shop made steady rests that are ok but not great..
One of my nephews owns a big roller blade place so he sends me wheels
sometimes..
Most of the time, they're a PITA to keep moving and my shop made clamping block
sucks..
I'm building the next one with Magswitch fixtures..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Dec 1, 11:17 am, mac davis wrote:
Now, if I can find an assortment of different diameter tennis or rubber balls.. ;-]

Believe it or not, they exist -- as dog toys! Search around the net
for "tennis ball dog toy" and you'll find them from 1.5 to 6 inches in
diameter. I know they have at least three sizes at our local big
conglomerate pet store. Not that you want to pay premium pet-toy
prices for something that you normally get free as a castoff, but I
couldn't resist following up on the throwaway comment.

Jenn D.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 13:14:47 -0800 (PST), jdrum00
wrote:

On Dec 1, 11:17 am, mac davis wrote:
Now, if I can find an assortment of different diameter tennis or rubber balls.. ;-]

Believe it or not, they exist -- as dog toys! Search around the net
for "tennis ball dog toy" and you'll find them from 1.5 to 6 inches in
diameter. I know they have at least three sizes at our local big
conglomerate pet store. Not that you want to pay premium pet-toy
prices for something that you normally get free as a castoff, but I
couldn't resist following up on the throwaway comment.

Jenn D.

0h... not fair telling me NOW...

My wife went shopping in the States this morning and is due back anytime now...
across the border by now, for sure....

Now, if you woulda posted this last night.. ;-]

OT - Steady Rest JJM Woodturning 12 May 2nd 07 02:27 AM
Help with steady rest on baluster dave_ipswich Woodturning 25 January 30th 07 12:17 AM
Need Help Identifying Steady Rest Jess Metalworking 12 October 15th 05 08:27 PM
FA: Atlas 6" Steady Rest, Follower Rest... Aaron Kushner Metalworking 1 January 12th 05 11:12 PM
How Do You Center a Steady Rest ? Jack Hayes Metalworking 9 December 6th 04 12:47 AM