Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default New (to me) steady rest idea for goblets

On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 17:32:25 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

Mac, you seem to be blending two different issues. The tennis
ball/sytrofoam/toilet paper inside the goblet is doing a different job from
the string steady. The latter is strictly for controlling deflection and
vibration in a long thin stem. One of the former devices is still needed to
stabilize the bowl.

BTW, IMO, it would not be as easy or effective to run roller blade wheels
against a very thin stem as string.

I see your point, Leo..
These goblets (known locally as the Goblets From Hell) have 1/2" diameter stems
about 5 or 6" long, so there isn't much deflection.. The tennis ball was an
excellent vibration damper, especially on a goblet with a warped bowl..

When I do thinner stems, I've been using a steady rest that I made..

BTW: I parted off the third and LAST goblet today and it was MUCH easier with
the tennis ball stabilizing the bowl... wish I'd used it on the first 3..

Picture of the tennis ball setup on ABPW this morning..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing