Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default New (to me) steady rest idea for goblets

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 16:44:35 -0500, (Arch) wrote:

Hi Mac, I wonder if AAW would publish a tip about the inclined plane or
maybe a little more up to date, the wheel. I bet it's more likely you
once knew about the tennis ball and just forgot about it.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

nope.. totally new tome, Arch... and I'm easily impressed..

I was using a turned cone in the toe of a sock, but the tennis ball is easier
and "one size fits all"..
I actually read the tip a few weeks ago and didn't try it because these goblets
have a 3 1/2" bell.. I didn't realize until this morning that though in the
picture the ball was larger than the bell opening, it works as well or better if
the ball is inside the bell..
maybe because it contacts closer to the stem?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing