Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George George is offline

Default New (to me) steady rest idea for goblets

"mac davis" wrote in message
I really don't use steady rests as much as I should.. seems like they're in
the
my way a lot... gets to be a problem with goblets and glasses..

Great idea in the Winter AAW magazine in the tips section and I tried it
this
morning:

After hollowing and sanding the inside of the bowl, I put a tennis ball in
the
bottom of the bowl and brought the tail stock up to it with a cup center
on it..
Works GREAT!
Why didn't I know about this a couple of years ago, or at least a couple
of
weeks ago when I started the "goblets from hell" for a client?

You weren't keeping up on your reading. Old technique, but a good one. I
simply take the (Oneway) steady I used at 9:00 and move it to 3:00 when I'm
refining the exterior. The Nova, and I think, some other rotating tails
allow you to make tapered plywood disks of any size and bolt them to the
rotating center. Works as well as tennis balls or wooden cones, in my
experience.