Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default New (to me) steady rest idea for goblets

On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 17:46:28 GMT, "George" wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 12:08:53 GMT, "George" wrote:

http://www.scrollsaws.com/WoodLathe/woodlatheString.htm

Dental floss is strong and prewaxed. Plus the mint scent can cove up any
residual from the mothballs!

holy crap!
If you're going to make all those wood parts, you might as well put
brackets and
roller blade wheels on 'em..

Got that right, but in it's simplest form, a string steady is one string or
so opposite the cut. Personally, I use fingers wrapped over on thin stuff,
but there's all kinds of options.

Me too.. learned that from a Dick Sing pen book and wish I'd learned it years
ago..

Have you seen the bowl steadies some people make?

Yeah.. I have a couple of shop made steady rests that are ok but not great..
One of my nephews owns a big roller blade place so he sends me wheels
sometimes..
Most of the time, they're a PITA to keep moving and my shop made clamping block
sucks..
I'm building the next one with Magswitch fixtures..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing