Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default New (to me) steady rest idea for goblets

On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 03:40:39 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

"mac davis" wrote: String steady?
Sounds kinda kinky Leo, but tell me about it
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Escaulen shows this idea at his demos, by turning goblets or trembleurs that
are fantastically tall. He cuts out a wooden "question mark," and supports
it from the ways so the stem goes through the center of the loop (it is
adjustable.) He drives four small nails equally spaced around the loop, and
winds string radially from the nails to the goblet stem, so there is support
in four directions. He ties the strings and stem together with a short
piece of string, tied in a knot. The stem can spin inside the knot, but it
is gently supported--maybe every 6 to 8". He can turn stuff a couple feet
in length and maybe 1/8" diameter.

I suppose a string, looped in this way, and tied with a knot could be
considered "kinky." Whatever *turns* you on.

Yeah, I looked at the link that George posted.. looks way more complicated than
putting a tennis ball inside the bowl and using the tail stock..
Now, if I can find an assortment of different diameter tennis or rubber balls..
;-]

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing