Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
turnerbob turnerbob is offline

Default New (to me) steady rest idea for goblets

On Nov 30, 9:36 pm, mac davis wrote:
On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 16:39:26 -0800 (PST), turnerbob
wrote:

On Nov 30, 12:17 pm, mac davis wrote:
I really don't use steady rests as much as I should.. seems like they're in the
my way a lot... gets to be a problem with goblets and glasses..

Great idea in the Winter AAW magazine in the tips section and I tried it this
morning:

After hollowing and sanding the inside of the bowl, I put a tennis ball in the
bottom of the bowl and brought the tail stock up to it with a cup center on it..
Works GREAT!
Why didn't I know about this a couple of years ago, or at least a couple of
weeks ago when I started the "goblets from hell" for a client?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Hi Mac, I suppose a tennis ball would work but it seems to me it would
be a bit cumbersome.
I use a piece of styrofoam. Some use a paper towel but I prefer the
styrofoam.
Bob
http://www.outofcontrol-woodturning.com

Wouldn't the styrofoam scratch the inside of the bowl, Bob?

I can't say how the tennis ball would work on a smaller goblet, but it fits
snugly in the bottom of mine and just sort of sits there until I bring the tail
stock forward..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Hi Mac, The type of styrofoam I use is the type that things come
packed in. It's fairly soft.
I've been using foam for years and have never seen a scratch. I like
the fact that I can shape it to any size easily.
I'm sure the tennis ball works but I would prefer having something
that goes inside the cup to better support the piece laterally.
Especially with a thin stem goblet. I've turned a lot of goblets but
never with 3.5 " id. At that size I imagine the tennis ball works very
well.