Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
vdubbs

Default Foot wear

Yes this is on topic,

I would like to ask those of you who have work areas that are on some
form of concrete, what kind of shoes do you wear while there? Do you
use any kind of mats to stand on? Last, but not least are you flat
footed?

No I am not going to try to sell you something, just want to know what
I need to change to help my legs and back while standing in the shop.
Being 300lbs does not help, I know.

I have never really been able to say for sure that being flat footed
has been a problem for me, but I may need to look for different shoes
while standing for long periods of time in the work shop.

Thanks for your input!

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
DonkeyHody

vdubbs wrote:
Yes this is on topic,

I would like to ask those of you who have work areas that are on some
form of concrete, what kind of shoes do you wear while there? Do you
use any kind of mats to stand on? Last, but not least are you flat
footed?

No I am not going to try to sell you something, just want to know what
I need to change to help my legs and back while standing in the shop.
Being 300lbs does not help, I know.

I have never really been able to say for sure that being flat footed
has been a problem for me, but I may need to look for different shoes
while standing for long periods of time in the work shop.

Thanks for your input!

Man, I feel your pain. My floor is wood, I'm not flat-footed, and I
only weigh 165, but I still have foot and back pain when I stand in the
shop for extended periods. I've tried walking shoes and running shoes,
but the best footwear I've found is lightweight hiking boots. My
favorites are Sierra Lites by Hi Tech. They won't break the bank at
only about $65 a pair. They have better arch support than either of
the others, and my back seems to hurt less too. I'm not sure how being
flat-footed would effect that equation.

DonkeyHody
"You may not always get what you pay for, but you always pay for what
you get."

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"DonkeyHody" wrote in message
ps.com...

vdubbs wrote:
[...]

Two flatfooted females in my family. Only thing they've found other than
the orthotics is Birkenstocks. Both of them are able to wear and walk in
them for extended periods. I do insist they break the "rules" of
Birkenstocks and shave their legs, though.

Keep a couple of different heel heights available, wear orthotics or
Birkenstocks - I have clogs - and if you're turning a long time, put a six
by six chunk where you can raise one foot on it while turning. Does wonders
for the back as it transfers the load.

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
leonard

I am flat footed and weigh more than 350lb. orthonics help but the anti
stress rubber mats help in my shop (concrete floors)

len

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
Andy

I'll second the birkenstocks - no doubt the most comfortable
shoes/sandals I've ever tried (once they're broken in). They do make
shoes also, including hiking boots and safety shoes with steel toes -
they cost a lot, but worth it in my opinion, and you might find a deal
on ebay.
I haven't tried the anti-fatigue mat yet, but now that they're on sale
at Rockler, I'm going to very soon.
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
TerryB

I have a couple different types of anti-fatigue mats in my shop and
they do help extend the amount of time I can stay on my feet. I
recommend them to anyone that do not have them and stand on concrete.
As for shoes, I have tried many different kinds of shoes and cheap
tennis shoes are by far the worst for me. I have a high dollar pair of
safety shoes that are great as long as you are moving(walking) and not
standing constantly. If I stand in them for extended periods, like
doing lathe work and such, my ankles and lower back just kill me and it
even lingers into the next day as well. I plan on going to a foot doc
in the near future just to be sure I don't have a foot problem coming
on. This last year it all has gotten worse. I know age has nothing to
do with it either.........LOL!! Just turn 40 last month, and compared
to some on here that is young by a long shot.

I will have to look into the Birkenstocks, my wife like to wear them.
I just would never thought about them as a shop shoe. Go figure!

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
Morris Dovey

Leon (in ) said:

| For about 18 years and standing on concrete I wear Rockport Hiking
| shoes.

I've worn the same for the last three years. I weigh 150 and have flat
feet. I have 1/4" thick rubber pads in front of tools where I stand
for more than a half hour at a time - and the pads do make a
considerable difference.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
mike

I think that the problem needs to be tackled in a different way, though
shoes are not to be discounted, a lot of that I believe is marketing. I
think that flexibility and strength are the key factors in lower back
and leg pain. For three years I have done my best to attend a weekly
Pilates and yoga class. The Pilates concentrates on core strength and
the yoga on flexibility. All of my back issues have completely gone
away once I started on this path. I am 45 years old, while this is not
old, it is old enough to start having these problems.

I am pretty sure that if the hamstrings are flexible and the
stomach/core is strong then shoes will not be quite as critical. I hope
I did not offend anyone, I am usually a lurker, but I truly feel
strongly about this. As we get older and the years of sitting start
effecting us more all of these things start to take their toll. I am
not the great all knowing one, but have just found that this works for
me and hopefully for someone else also.

thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning

mike wrote:
For three years I have done my best to attend a weekly
Pilates and yoga class. The Pilates concentrates on core strength and
the yoga on flexibility. All of my back issues have completely gone
away once I started on this path. I am 45 years old,

I am pretty sure that if the hamstrings are flexible and the
stomach/core is strong then shoes will not be quite as critical.
I have just found that this works for
me and hopefully for someone else also.

Yep,

In '94 I apparently tried to destroy my spinal cord. I was able to
recover without surgery. I lost 2 years, but I was able to do some
light work in limited amounts. I also weigh 165,, give or take 5lb.
Physical training is important to all of us. I slack off occasionally
and I can tell a difference in everything I do from the way I walk to
the way I feel when I sneeze. A back injury stays with you for the rest
of your life. I'm 40, doing much better than I was at 30.

I wear Wolverines, Wellingtons. I add arch support when I'm breaking
them in, and replace the supports annually. I wear one pair to work
every day. I've had them for 3 years now. Another pair waits in the
closet and goes with me on Sundays until they're broke-in.

Mats in the shop? Oh - Yeah, Imagine what a Kentucky boy uses for shop
mats. Coal mine conveyor belts. They're 4' wide and cut with a utility
knife. Stiff rubber with a fabric inner layer that makes them last
forever under foot traffic. Usually cheap too! Sometimes I can get them
for free in sections 3' to 12' long. Over 6' long and it's all I can do
to handle them by myself. That stuff is HEAVY. They make fantastic p-up
truck bed liners too.

Tom in KY, You've only got one back, when it's gone, well, you'd be
surprised what all else goes away with it!

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
robo hippy

Well, I am no light weight (265), and my feet and back tend to get
irritated when I stand at the lathe for long periods of time. I do have
some mats on the floor, and they help. I can't wear Birkenstocks
because of my foot shape, but New Balance makes shoes in the wide
sizes. I do a couple of things to help. I think posture is a big thing
in eliminating back pain. It is an effort because I don't think as much
about sucking in the old gut to impress the ladies as I used to.
Strengthening the stomach and back muscles will keep the back in line.
Having the lathe at the proper height is another big factor. If you
have to bend over at the waist to turn anything, that will put stress
on your back (most of us walk erect). Also, I wear pressure stockings.
Not the prescription type (yet) but the Dr. Scholls (I think)style.
They make a big difference on how your feet feel at the end of the day.
Some times I will take a break and hit the exercycle for a few minutes
to get tho blood flowing again. Tap your feet in time to the music.
Shift your weight back and forth. Oh yes, this year I will loose some
of those ghosts from Christmas Pasts.
robo hippy

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
Ron Kolakowski

My shop has a concrete floor, and it used to cause me some back and leg
problems. I started wearing some slip-on's from Lands End a few years
ago, and they have been great. Thier catalog no. is #09270-8AGX , and I
just ordered another pair for 29.50. The slip-on feature is especially
appreciated by my wife, since it makes it much more likely I'll take
them off when I come into the house.
Land's End offers some orthopedic inserts for various foot shapes, but
I've not tried them.

I've also been using a couple of the shock absorbing mats from
Woodcraft at my lathe and workbench, and they help as well.

Ron

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning

Spina Bifeda, scoliosis, arthritis. That's what I deal with. I don't
generally stand at a work station for more than an hour without
bending and flexing (also called excersizing occasionaly) and I wear
deerskin slippers. Then I go sit down for a while and work up some
more steam. Most importantly, my router table is 42" tall and the
table saw is 37". I don't bend forward too much while I work.

Pete
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
Robatoy

In article .com,
"vdubbs" wrote:

Yes this is on topic,

Darn tootin' it is on topic.

If you don't look after your feet, you are not looking after your knees and back
either.
Dropping 70+ pounds helps too.
Doc Martin on the feet, with orthotics. Birkies around the house.
Anti fatigue matting in the shop.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

I remember noting that R. Raffin wore clogs or sandals while taping a
video or a photo for a book. I think he later corrected this and advised
wearing safety shoes. Maybe he corrected for legal reasons, but a
lacerated or fractured foot or ankle would sure add an acute problem to
that of chronic back or leg pain. Have any of you sustained a turning
related foot or ankle injury due to failure to wear safety shoes?

I have no personal experience with Birkenstocks, but I wonder if
Birkenstock makes safety shoes approved for industrial wear? If so,
they are probably expensive, but may be worth it. An interesting thread
and the subject is also in our archives.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning

Robatoy wrote:
In article .com,
"vdubbs" wrote:

Yes this is on topic,

Darn tootin' it is on topic.

If you don't look after your feet, you are not looking after your knees and back
either.

**ALSO ON TOPIC** !!

Wear suspenders with that Normie looking toolbelt!! They distribute the
weight better.

And,, if y'ain't got no a$$, they help keep your tools up from your
ankles!! I've got just enough to hold my toolbelt all day, but only if
my suspenders give out.

Tom in KY, Yep, on topic, yep.

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
TerryB

A little google search and
http://www.shoe-store.net/c/brands/i...toe-shoes.html

Safety Birkenstocks..........

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
Larry Blanchard

vdubbs wrote:

I have never really been able to say for sure that being flat footed
has been a problem for me, but I may need to look for different shoes
while standing for long periods of time in the work shop.

Look up "ripple sole" shoes. Used by mailmen. I think Mason Shoes
still makes them, others may as well. I had a pair years ago when my
work required 8 hours of standing and I think they're great.
--
It's turtles, all the way down
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
Swingman

"Leon" wrote in message
For about 18 years and standing on concrete I wear Rockport Hiking shoes.

6', 205 ... and my biggest problems are with a service connected knee
injury, and the fact that I walk at least two miles _every_ day, rain or
shine, knee be damned, before sun up.

I wear Rockport World Tour Classic exclusively, both walking and in the
shop.

Own three pair, two of which I have added inserts on top of the regular
inserts, and one pair, the brown suede version of the WTC, that are more
comfortable without double inserts ... go figure.

IOW, while all Rockport's are not created equal, at least for me, (the last
batch, and most comfortable, are not made in China, but Vietnam, from whence
the knee injury coincidentally originates ... there is some justice in this
world) I still find them the most comfortable, all day shop shoe.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
Leon

Hey Swingman,

I probably went through 4 or 5 pair of Rockport Pro Walkers beginning in
about 1989. They look a lot like the Rockport World Tour Classic that you
mentioned. In 1996 I switched to the hiking shoe, low top. More
expensive but I could wear the soles out on the Pro Walkers in about 9
months walking on concrete all day and had them factory reconditioned. I am
on my 3rd pair of the Rockport hiking shoes in about 9 years. I am getting
about 3 times the mileage plus they are water proof. Great when working out
doors. Get them muddy and simply hose them off while you are wearing them.
I DO NOT do anything to take care of them except replace the shoe laces
about 3 times before I retire them. I "highly" recommend them over the
walking shoes. More comfortable also IMHO.
They come in a hi-top also.

Look here.

http://shop.rockport.com/product/ind...entPage=family

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Leon" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
Robatoy

In article .com,
"TerryB" wrote:

A little google search and
http://www.shoe-store.net/c/brands/i...enstock/safety
-toe-shoes.html

Safety Birkenstocks..........

Is it me, or are those really ugly? Kinda cool in a Disney sort of way.
Wearing those with some lederhosen, and no shirt, would make a statement
at the hairdressers'.

I think the most important safety item, is to be in shape. In my case, I
shouldn't be throwing around 160-pound sheets of acrylic, unless I'm fit.
All I can tell you, is that through my medical-insurance coverage, I
have a leg up on the potential problems.
I have a whole new respect for the properly educated/trained physio- and
occupational therapists. My PT loves talking about his work. He works
with gymnasts and hockey-players and a couple of pro golfers. He
basically coaxed me out of retirement. "That's not retirement, that's
surrender!"
There is so much to learn in this (to me) brand new field.
Proper foot-wear is very important. Not just for safety, but for your
back and beyond.
After 56 years of ignorant and stubborn neglect, this dog has learned a
few new tricks. The transformation is blowing some of my friends away.

The absolute hardest part, is to shut-the-**** up about it. G

I really, REALLY miss those hard Italian salamis though... man, I used
to love those. Flat Calabrese hot. Genoa.
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser

"Swingman" wrote:

IOW, while all Rockport's are not created equal, at least for me, (the
last batch, and most comfortable, are not made in China, but Vietnam,
from whence the knee injury coincidentally originates ... there is
some justice in this world) I still find them the most comfortable,
all day shop shoe.

Maybe not justice, but definitely odd. I got my service connected knee in
England and so far the buggers haven't sent me any shoes. )
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser

Robatoy wrote:

Is it me, or are those really ugly? Kinda cool in a Disney sort of way.
Wearing those with some lederhosen, and no shirt, would make a statement
at the hairdressers'.

Butt Ugly! And picture Chevy Chase in 'European Vacation'.
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
Clifford Heath

mike wrote:
I think that the problem needs to be tackled in a different way..
I am pretty sure that if the hamstrings

Agree totally. I can't believe that these obese posters think
that what they put *under* their feet will fix the problems
they've caused by what they put *over* them.

Go for a decent *fast* walk for an hour, 4-5 miles, a couple of
times a week, your hammies and glutes will gain so much tone
they'll hold your pelvis upright and suck your gut in, stop it
hanging forward and dragging your back further out of line. You
might even lose some of that excess weight. I wasn't overweight,
but when I started walking *hard* for one hour a week, I lost
a Kg (2.2lb) *each week* for the first 8 weeks.

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
Swingman

"Leon" wrote in message

Look here.

http://shop.rockport.com/product/ind...entPage=family

Thanks for the link. I went to the Rockport store in the Galleria back in
early December and tried everything on, but stuck with the WTC's. I don't
think these were on the wall at the time, but I will definitely call them
today and see.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
Leon

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Leon" wrote in message

Look here.

http://shop.rockport.com/product/ind...entPage=family

Thanks for the link. I went to the Rockport store in the Galleria back in
early December and tried everything on, but stuck with the WTC's. I don't
think these were on the wall at the time, but I will definitely call them
today and see.

I had to buy mine from the actual Rockport store also, the one that was in
First Colony mall. That was my last pair and that store closed about 4 or 5
years ago. I am about ready to buy another pair and no one had these on
line. You may have to buy them direct from Rockport. Actually when
comparing the online Rockport store to the other on line shoe stores, they
were cheaper. I'll have to look at the Galleria store also. Like most all
Rockport's, these shoes feel broke in 10 minutes and you can wear them all
day long immediately.
Oddly and another testament that the Chinese can build quality if instructed
to do so, these 4 year old shoes were made in China.

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
Rob

I've spent 34 years standing and walking on concrete and have found
Rockports or Red Wing Boots to be about the only footwear that will
allow me to walk away at the end of the shift without some form of pain
or discomfort. I've tried most shoes, boots and even water filled
insoles but Red Wings or Rockports have served me well.

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
Charlie Self

Clifford Heath wrote:
mike wrote:
I think that the problem needs to be tackled in a different way..
I am pretty sure that if the hamstrings

Agree totally. I can't believe that these obese posters think
that what they put *under* their feet will fix the problems
they've caused by what they put *over* them.

Go for a decent *fast* walk for an hour, 4-5 miles, a couple of
times a week, your hammies and glutes will gain so much tone
they'll hold your pelvis upright and suck your gut in, stop it
hanging forward and dragging your back further out of line. You
might even lose some of that excess weight. I wasn't overweight,
but when I started walking *hard* for one hour a week, I lost
a Kg (2.2lb) *each week* for the first 8 weeks.

There you go. Just the thing for everyone. Unfortunately, after three
knee surgeries, none caused by obesity, and arthritis in my feet, a
fast walk is something I watch other people do. I'd guess some more of
us fat slobs who put too much "over" our feet are in the same boat,
whether from injury or illness.

What you can or can't believe has no relevance outside your own family.

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
Swingman

"Leon" wrote in message

"Swingman" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message

Look here.

Thanks for the link. I went to the Rockport store in the Galleria back

in
early December and tried everything on, but stuck with the WTC's. I

don't
think these were on the wall at the time, but I will definitely call

them
today and see.

years ago. I am about ready to buy another pair and no one had these on
line. You may have to buy them direct from Rockport. Actually when
comparing the online Rockport store to the other on line shoe stores, they
were cheaper. I'll have to look at the Galleria store also.

I just ordered a pair from the Galleria store. They did not have them in the
store, but they'll ship them to you by, dog sled? (5-10 days) for $5.50 ...
which still beats the hell out of _me_ having to go to the &%^& Galleria,
which I only do with a figurative gun held to my head.

Time will tell if you're right about the comfort ... if not, wanna buy a
pair of 11W's in brown?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
Leon

"Swingman" wrote in message

I just ordered a pair from the Galleria store. They did not have them in
the
store, but they'll ship them to you by, dog sled? (5-10 days) for $5.50
which still beats the hell out of _me_ having to go to the &%^& Galleria,
which I only do with a figurative gun held to my head.

Time will tell if you're right about the comfort ... if not, wanna buy a
pair of 11W's in brown?

Ohhhh.. I am a 11.5 M kinda guy. Besides did you not say that they would
ship them to you "meaning me"? LOL

Was the store cheaper than ordering on line?

$5.50 beats a trip to just about anywhere.

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
Tom Nie

Amen, Charlie.

Lots of things are righteously correct until you get a bullet through an
ankle, or pelvis broken in half, or emphyzema from smoking too many years -
and a new wife who cooks great food.

TomNie

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
oups.com...

Clifford Heath wrote:
mike wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
Charles Self

Clifford Heath wrote:
mike wrote:
[...]

Oh, man. No bullet strikes, just too much time falling off of off-road
motorcycles, sometimes with the bike on top. Do that for 10-15 years, and
zing. Add in a genetic predisposition to arthritis, COPD (I quit smoking
nearly 17 years ago, about a decade later than was really helpful), and a
second wife, who, while not new, is one helluva country cook.

I haven't hit 300 yet, but I've come much too close at times, though I'm now
slowly--ever so slowly--backing off. But until I quit smoking, I still only
weighed about 210 or 215 at the most, and could still drop a pound or two by
missing a meal. These days, I gain weight at the thought of food.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bertie Pittman

On 11 Jan 2006 06:41:17 -0800, "vdubbs" wrote:

I would like to ask those of you who have work areas that are on some
form of concrete, what kind of shoes do you wear while there? Do you

From my own experience with foot and back aches I've found that I am
most comfortable on concrete when I wear a good pair of running shoes
or a good pair of sneakers that have some arch support and good thick
rubber soles. I sometimes find that foam or gel inserts also help.

The footwear industry seem to make a lot of worthless junk IMO and
what works for many don't always work for me. Some of the most
expensive and highly rated have not been any better for me than
cheaper brands or different kinds of shoes . I've only found them by
continued trial and error.

Although they aren't safety shoes , when standing at the lathe for
long periods of time I now wear a pair of New Balance tennis shoes but
I've had other brands that worked just as well. For me, my shoes have
be comfortable first for general walking then hopefully they'll
continue to support and be comfortable after extended standing or work
on concrete or steel. I also have foam type pad that's made to stand
on in front of my lathe and my band saw. And I learned from a lady
that used to post regularly in this newsgroup about sweeping the
shavings pile up in front of my lathe to stand on. The only problem
with that idea was my dogs likes those shavings piles and I'd have to
be constantly jousting with them or just work with them underfoot.

It may also be more than just shoes involved. Notwithstanding any
medical condition, age seems to make a difference also, more than
one's weight IMO. After becoming a wood turner I had terrible back
aches from bending over on the lathe. But after I learned about
raising the lathe high enough so the center line between the spur and
tail stock was about as high as my elbow or a little higher there are
no more back aches. That tip gleaned here also prompted me to also
raise many other things in my life such as band saws, bench grinders,
work benches, tables, etc.. even my fish cleaning bench is now much
higher and I'm more comfortable for sure!

I also know a teacher that is on her feet all day on concrete or tiled
floors. She is a larger lady and has had trouble with her feet hurting
over the years. She now wears and swear's by Birkenstocks. But she
only wears the "sandal" types, not safety shoes.

Bertie
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate

I hear you Charlie. There is something about reading a cook book that puts
on 10 pounds these days. I can not even blame it on my wife (first and only,
I hope), I do the cooking. The old hair seems a bit grayer too. Funny, it
does not appear to have anything to do with footwear. I am a little envious
over folks who have enough time in a work shop to worry about it hurting a
back, but not envious enough to have back pain.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tom Nie

Bertie, for a blown apart ankle generally fused together to form an ankle I
thoroughly understand your running shoes comment BUT only when the soles are
like a TRUE Air Jordan's. That's to say Nike in their infinite wisdom have
kept the name but not the construction (latest trip to the shoe store
revealed). God knows, those kind of shoes are fadish and change more than
women's fashions.

There's another very soft sole that you can squeeze at the heel plate to
feel the difference that works tremendously to reduce jarring the joint.
Most, almost all, of the others have foam soles but a different kind which
tends to dampen only slightly and compact with age on the contact edge
creating uneven support (that ankle angles to the right some). Maybe some
expert will read this and give us more specific nomenclature. Regardless,
suffice to say I have a sensitivity to shoes and their construction that's
abnormal.

The only kind of casual dress shoe I've found, only recently, is an ungodly
expensive ECCO brand. It has my preferred sole but cost $160! But they are
outstandingly comfortable. I'm sure there's merit to all the other posts but
I haven't tried them.

TomNie

Bertie Pittman wrote in message
On 11 Jan 2006 06:41:17 -0800, "vdubbs" wrote:

I would like to ask those of you who have work areas that are on some
form of concrete, what kind of shoes do you wear while there? Do you

From my own experience with foot and back aches I've found that I am
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
Swingman

"Leon" wrote in message

Was the store cheaper than ordering on line?

Same price.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser

"Tom Nie" wrote:

The only kind of casual dress shoe I've found, only recently, is an
ungodly expensive ECCO brand. It has my preferred sole but cost $160!
But they are outstandingly comfortable. I'm sure there's merit to all
the other posts but I haven't tried them.

You can get ECCOs a lot cheaper than that. I've got a pair of ECCO running
shoes on my feet right now. Cost about $70.00 on line. Can't recall who had
them (one of these days I'll organize my bookmarks), but Sierra Trading
Post www.SierraTradingPost.com has ECCO Flexor Walking Shoes for $80
right now. You may have to dig around a few places to get the size you
want. Other than the runners, I've got hiking boots, three pair of shoes,
and a pair of sandals from ECCO. Bought my first pair in a mall. Guy says
'try these - go walk in the mall for ten minutes'. I did. Came back and
bought two pair. One of the things I really like is being able to buy
online because their sizes ar consistent.
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
Buddy Matlosz

After 30 years as an electronic engineer and technical writer (read: desk
jockey), industry changes, downsizing, outsourcing, etc. forced me into a
career change which involves long hours walking and standing on concrete.
Foot pain and the associated complications led me to try quite a few
different shoes, some of which are mentioned in this thread, until I
discovered On the Clock II walking shoes by Reebok. I have a wide foot, and
find the 4E width most comfortable. In addition, I use Dr. Scholl's gel
insoles - after experimenting, I found two in each shoe yielded the best
results. I go through two or three sets of insoles over the life of the
shoe. Yeah, that's right - I'm gellin' like a felon - you want some melon?

I should also mention I've used orthotics for many years. I'm convinced I'd
be a cripple by now without them.

B.

"vdubbs" wrote in message
oups.com...
Yes this is on topic,

I would like to ask those of you who have work areas that are on some
form of concrete, what kind of shoes do you wear while there? Do you
use any kind of mats to stand on? Last, but not least are you flat
footed?

No I am not going to try to sell you something, just want to know what
I need to change to help my legs and back while standing in the shop.
Being 300lbs does not help, I know.

I have never really been able to say for sure that being flat footed
has been a problem for me, but I may need to look for different shoes
while standing for long periods of time in the work shop.

Thanks for your input!

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
stormy2084

Along with many others, I'll endorse Rockports. I have to admit
though, I'm not a huge fan of the style. The good news is that the
real secret to Rockport comfort is the Vibram soles. Vibram can be
found in other brands - my favorite is UGG. Good shoe repair places
also can put Vibram soles on almost any shoe.

FOOT SHEAR knowone Metalworking 5 December 17th 05 07:29 PM
Ariston combi boiler rebecca g UK diy 19 November 30th 05 02:42 PM
Hobart CyberTig foot pedal problems Gunner Asch Metalworking 5 November 3rd 05 04:58 PM
Metal Working Machinery New and Used in Australia and for Export [email protected] Metalworking 0 February 23rd 05 02:54 AM
Need resistor value for Hobart TR250-HF foot pedal mawdeeb Metalworking 6 October 9th 03 11:00 AM