Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
knowone

Default FOOT SHEAR

If a foot shear can shear 18 ga. steel, is there any way to determine what
max. ga. al. it can shear of the same x/y dimensions?

In another post, I asked if anyone had ever heard of a Frederick foot shear
and got no answer. I ask again.

Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Malicky

According to
http://www.irvansmith.com/tech4.htm
it is 1.5 x the thickness in (mild) steel.
Gage conversion is in the same link.
David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
knowone

After reading that link David, I am getting that a shear can be used as a
brake. Is that correct? If one had only a shear, why would they need a
brake?

Thanks

"David Malicky" wrote in message
oups.com...
According to
http://www.irvansmith.com/tech4.htm
it is 1.5 x the thickness in (mild) steel.
Gage conversion is in the same link.
David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Berger

As long as you only need to shear, and not to bend anything,
you don't need a brake. You can't use a shear as a brake.

knowone wrote:
After reading that link David, I am getting that a shear can be used as a
brake. Is that correct? If one had only a shear, why would they need a
brake?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Hitch

Default OT: (sorta) FOOT SHEAR

"knowone" wrote in
ink.net:

If a foot shear can shear 18 ga. steel, is there any way to determine
what max. ga. al. it can shear of the same x/y dimensions?

In another post, I asked if anyone had ever heard of a Frederick foot
shear and got no answer. I ask again.

Thanks

Just saw an episode of "Mythbusters" in which they were trying to bust the
myth that steel-toed boots can cut your toes off if crushed. Generally,
they busted the myth except in one very important instance. They dropped a
heavy load with the contact point being a piece of angle iron with the edge
down. The edge of the angle iron slipped off of the steel toe and onto the
unreinforced portion of the boot, resulting in a nice guillotine action,
severing their test foot behind the steel toe!

Wear those steel-toed boots, but don't get careless, seems to be the
message.

--
John Snow
"Pull hard and it comes easy"