DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   FOOT SHEAR (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/135874-foot-shear.html)

knowone December 16th 05 02:09 AM

FOOT SHEAR

If a foot shear can shear 18 ga. steel, is there any way to determine what
max. ga. al. it can shear of the same x/y dimensions?

In another post, I asked if anyone had ever heard of a Frederick foot shear
and got no answer. I ask again.

Thanks

David Malicky December 16th 05 04:52 AM

FOOT SHEAR

According to
http://www.irvansmith.com/tech4.htm
it is 1.5 x the thickness in (mild) steel.
Gage conversion is in the same link.
David

knowone December 16th 05 06:27 PM

FOOT SHEAR

After reading that link David, I am getting that a shear can be used as a
brake. Is that correct? If one had only a shear, why would they need a
brake?

Thanks

Mike Berger December 16th 05 10:22 PM

FOOT SHEAR

As long as you only need to shear, and not to bend anything,
you don't need a brake. You can't use a shear as a brake.

Hitch December 17th 05 07:29 PM

OT: (sorta) FOOT SHEAR

"knowone" wrote in
ink.net:

If a foot shear can shear 18 ga. steel, is there any way to determine
what max. ga. al. it can shear of the same x/y dimensions?

In another post, I asked if anyone had ever heard of a Frederick foot
shear and got no answer. I ask again.

Thanks

Just saw an episode of "Mythbusters" in which they were trying to bust the
myth that steel-toed boots can cut your toes off if crushed. Generally,
they busted the myth except in one very important instance. They dropped a
heavy load with the contact point being a piece of angle iron with the edge
down. The edge of the angle iron slipped off of the steel toe and onto the
unreinforced portion of the boot, resulting in a nice guillotine action,
severing their test foot behind the steel toe!

Wear those steel-toed boots, but don't get careless, seems to be the
message.

--
John Snow
"Pull hard and it comes easy"