Greg

Default Metal Shear question: Niagara

At work we just set up an older Mechanical metal shear. It is a
Niagara 1/4" capacity 8 foot model 88. So.. I call up Bliss clearing
Niagara and ask for a manual. While I am on the phone I say " Please
tell me that I am not spending $150 for 20 pages of generic safety BS
and 2 pages of documentation" the sales weasel assures me that will not
be the case. 10 days later a beutiful two inch binder arrives. 25 pages
of inapplicable warnings, 10 pages of redundant shear safety stuff and
oh yes 6 pages of part numbers and drawings, two of which are to the
wrong machine. I call them up and ask where the rest is and they say
thats it. So wise guy I am I ask whatabout the Lubrication chart,
lube specification sheet, operation instructions, maintenace
information and setup information. Not available. Next question is it a
coincedance that the only information available are the parts that you
can sell me instead of useful information? Of course not.

SORRY ABOUT THE TIRADE. Question: Since Aluminum has basically 1/2 the
shear strength of mild steel what about the shear capacity of Aluminum
on this machine? Think I need to adjust the shear blade clearance also,
I guess I will consult my manual. Right.....

Ernie Leimkuhler

In article .com,
Greg wrote:

[...]

A cinicinatti field service tech could probably help you more than
anybody.
Randy Zimmerman

I ran a half inch hydraulic shear years ago and its rating was quarter inch
for stainless and 5/8 for aluminum. I would expect your maximum capacity
would be 5/16 for aluminum. You might be able to hear 3/8 but that would be
maximum in my opinion. It also would depend on what alloy.
Randy
"Greg" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Greg

I ran a half inch hydraulic shear years ago and its rating was quarter
inch
for stainless and 5/8 for aluminum. I would expect your maximum
capacity
would be 5/16 for aluminum. You might be able to hear 3/8 but that
would be
maximum in my opinion. It also would depend on what alloy.
Randy

"Greg" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

The shear does have a capacity plate which say 7/32" in stainless,
1/4" in steel. The Aluminum alloy I would be shearing is mostly 6061
T6.

I always used the figures of 50,000 pounds for steel shear strength.
(have seen it listeed as 60,000 also)
and 30,000 pounds for 6061 T6.

I think I might need more shear clearance (Knife clearance) for heavier
material though. I will look it up in my manual. Oh ya... not
available. Anyone have any experience with that company machinery
manuals?

Chuck Sherwood

I have similar quesitons on my diacro 12 inch shear.
All I know is 1/16 mild steel.

What are its capabilities in 304 SS, aluminum and brass ?

I tried 20 gauge (0.036) SS and it cut it ok, but that lever
pulled pretty darn hard. I have never tried 1/16 mild steel;
maybe that would be a good comparison.

Greg

Machinery manuals had the complete REAL manual on file, I just
purchased it for $50 less than Bliss Clearing Niagara's manual. I will
let you know about capacity when I get it.

Metal buildings and lightening sort of OT nospamgoingjag Metalworking 67 April 11th 05 01:54 AM
Metal Pole for Eagle Scout Project [email protected] Metalworking 27 March 4th 05 12:49 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
Mounting a metal shear Bruce Metalworking 5 October 10th 03 02:51 PM