Default Metal Pole for Eagle Scout Project

Hello Everybody!

I am working on my Eagle Scout project for the Boy Scouts of America
and I am looking for a metal pole. I am going to set up a civil defense
siren in northern Arizona. They are currently experiencing droughts and
forest fires every summer. This is for a small rural community that is
in danger of fire. This would allow for a rapid evacuation should one
be necessary. We have the siren donated, and most of the other
materials we will need. We are currently looking for a metal pole now,
and I wondered if anyone had a surplus metal pole, knew of where I
could find a surplus or used metal pole, or someone who might have
information in general about metal poles of this caliber, useful
information that I can use in my search.

The siren weighs 2,700lbs. The metal pole needs to be able to withstand
that much weight. The siren will rotate causing a vibration motion. The
minimum height the pole needs to be is 6 feet per government
regulations, however the taller the pole is the farther the sound
carries, thus allowing it to do a better job!

Thank you for your help!
Jkeagle13 (at) aol (dot) com

Searcher 1

Why does it have to be metal, the siren in my town sits atop a telephone
pole?

Just a thought, I would think that a telephone pole would more readily
available.

Searcher1

jw

I take it that you figured out the 3 phase issues for this project?

SteveB

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Have you done the proper required spotted owl impact study for this project
yet?

The feds are going to ask you.

Steve ;-)

Hi All,

Yes JW, I want to thank everyone for their help again. We reached an
agreement with APS. We already had a pole for the siren at the fire
house that wasn't being used, so that was perfect, but it was estimated
to cost $15,000 to bring 3 phase out to it. So we compromised and
agreed with APS to bring the siren closer to the three phase power that
existed at a well, and move it away from the fire station to the
location of the well, and they agreed upon those terms to donate the
rest should we do that. So before a pole wasn't an issue, but now it
is. I suspect it will be easier than finding the three phase power.

Thanks again everyone for your help on that issue and your help on this
one!

Jkeagle13 (at) aol (dot) com

By the way the city told us it had to be metal, not wood. They said
wood is too dangerous for a 2,700lbs siren that rotates. They said it
had been done in the past before, and had worked, but it was just one
of those things where they said that we have to use metal to get city
approval. They said wood splinters, and has been known to fail before.
So a wooden pole would be simple, I agree, but it is just regulations
we must follow.

Martin H. Eastburn

[...]

If you consider making a concrete pyramid that is 10' tall that then has a short
pole as needed for mounting... A central core or external (less security) pipe
would be used for the power - plan ahead on the size and design naturally.

I'm getting to the point that a pole 20' tall might be hard to come by -
but a hill or other building / structure that is 20' can provide the height.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer

NRA LOH, NRA Life
Rick Cook

SteveB wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Kidding. He thinks he's kidding.

--RC

Tom Miller

"Rick Cook" wrote in message
ink.net...
SteveB wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Hello Everybody!

I am working on my Eagle Scout project for the Boy Scouts of America
and I am looking for a metal pole. I am going to set up a civil defense
siren in northern Arizona. They are currently experiencing droughts and
forest fires every summer. This is for a small rural community that is
in danger of fire. This would allow for a rapid evacuation should one
be necessary. We have the siren donated, and most of the other
materials we will need. We are currently looking for a metal pole now,
and I wondered if anyone had a surplus metal pole, knew of where I
could find a surplus or used metal pole, or someone who might have
information in general about metal poles of this caliber, useful
information that I can use in my search.

I think there is some oil production in Arizona, You might try one of the
oil companies to see if you could scrounge a bit of surface casing pipe. I
think its about 13 5/8 inches dia.They usually have to cut off some to suit
the depth of the surface hole so you might be able to convinve them that it
would be a good bit of local public relations. They could even puyt a plack
on it saying that they had sponsored it.

Tom

The siren weighs 2,700lbs. The metal pole needs to be able to withstand
that much weight. The siren will rotate causing a vibration motion. The
minimum height the pole needs to be is 6 feet per government
regulations, however the taller the pole is the farther the sound
carries, thus allowing it to do a better job!

Thank you for your help!
Jkeagle13 (at) aol (dot) com

Have you done the proper required spotted owl impact study for this

project
yet?

The feds are going to ask you.

Steve ;-)

Kidding. He thinks he's kidding.

--RC

Charles Perry

wrote in message
[...]

Others have made good suggestions (water and oil drilling companies). You
might try the utility (APS). I am sure they use metal poles in some of
their construction. Ask the right person, and you might get one donated.

Charles Perry P.E.

jim rozen

In article , Gunner says...

Rather than a pole..Id suggest a tripod.

Absolutely. 2700 lbs is about a nissan sentra, right?

That's a piece of hardware floating in the sky.

Even if he cannot manage to find somebody to install the poles
at an angle to make a tetrahedron, three of them with crossbars
and braces would be a lot better than just one support.

Basically a super-huge version of a three-sided antenna mast,
with the braces on the side to make each side into a truss.

Jim

please reply to:

skrev i en meddelelse
ups.com...
Hello Everybody!

The siren weighs 2,700lbs. The metal pole needs to be able to withstand
that much weight. The siren will rotate causing a vibration motion. The
minimum height the pole needs to be is 6 feet per government
regulations, however the taller the pole is the farther the sound
carries, thus allowing it to do a better job!

Steel reinforced concrete block.. Can be "assembled" on site.. Just need to
get a crane to the site to lift the siren up there..

Btw.. 2700 lbs sounds like a HUGE siren..

/peter

SteveB

"Rick Cook" wrote in message
ink.net...
SteveB wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

I believe it was in Oregon or Washington, there was a big flap about cutting
down trees and endangering the spotted owl nesting sites. Then they found
some nested in an abandoned K Mart sign.

Be sure to put some screening on it so they can't nest in there. Or some
low flying spotted crested Dolly Parton titmouse can't fly in there and hurt
themselves.

Ouch!

Steve

Tim Shoppa

Btw.. 2700 lbs sounds like a HUGE siren..

A Chrysler Victory Siren (http://www.victorysiren.com) is around 5000
lbs (including the hemi engine powering it). 2700 lbs is by no means
puny! Not something you put on a "pole"...

Tim.

Pat Ford

"Tim Shoppa" wrote in message
oups.com...
Btw.. 2700 lbs sounds like a HUGE siren..

A Chrysler Victory Siren (http://www.victorysiren.com) is around 5000
lbs (including the hemi engine powering it). 2700 lbs is by no means
puny! Not something you put on a "pole"...

Tim.

My 2 door soft top geo tracker is 2600#. That must be a big honker!
Pat

Lane

wrote in message
[...]

I have an old city light pole in my back yard you can have. However I'm a
far distance from you as I live in Washington state.

Lane

Lane

"Tim Shoppa" wrote in message
oups.com...
Btw.. 2700 lbs sounds like a HUGE siren..

A Chrysler Victory Siren (http://www.victorysiren.com) is around 5000
lbs (including the hemi engine powering it). 2700 lbs is by no means
puny! Not something you put on a "pole"...

Tim.

I had no idea such a thing existed. Man, the things you learn here. Thanks.

Lane

"Tim Shoppa" skrev i en meddelelse
oups.com...
Btw.. 2700 lbs sounds like a HUGE siren..

A Chrysler Victory Siren (http://www.victorysiren.com) is around 5000
lbs (including the hemi engine powering it). 2700 lbs is by no means
puny! Not something you put on a "pole"...

WHOA!... Where can I get one of those?... I need something to bother the
people next door :-)

/peter

Lane

I think that if you mount it on a vehicle, you could not only bother
people, but outright demolish their houses with this device. Seriously.

It definitely beats the guy who stole an M-1 tank and rode over a
bunch of other cars...

Naw, that was kinda cool in a weird way, also the guy with the bullet
proofed, dozer. Hey, who hasn't thought about doing something like that. But
being the "civilized" people that we are, most of us don't. Thank goodness!

Lane

jim rozen

In article , Q says...

WHOA!... Where can I get one of those?... I need something to bother the
people next door :-)

"Bother" in this means something a lot different than usual.

"Hmm. Let's see. Slice, Dice, Chop, Grate, Mince, Puree,
ah - here's the correct setting: PULVERIZE."

Set siren to 'pulverize.'

Jim

please reply to:
Don Bruder

In article ,
"Q" wrote:

"Tim Shoppa" skrev i en meddelelse
oups.com...
Btw.. 2700 lbs sounds like a HUGE siren..

A Chrysler Victory Siren (http://www.victorysiren.com) is around 5000
lbs (including the hemi engine powering it). 2700 lbs is by no means
puny! Not something you put on a "pole"...

WHOA!... Where can I get one of those?... I need something to bother the
people next door :-)

Errr... Next door to where? Pluto?

--
Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html for full details.
Gunner

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 15:20:29 -0800, "Lane" lane (no spam) at
copperaccents dot com wrote:

I think that if you mount it on a vehicle, you could not only bother
people, but outright demolish their houses with this device. Seriously.

It definitely beats the guy who stole an M-1 tank and rode over a
bunch of other cars...

Naw, that was kinda cool in a weird way, also the guy with the bullet
proofed, dozer. Hey, who hasn't thought about doing something like that. But
being the "civilized" people that we are, most of us don't. Thank goodness!

Lane

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem.
To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the
civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Lathe Dementia. Recognized as one of the major sub-strains of the
all-consuming virus, Packratitis. Usual symptoms easily recognized
and normally is contracted for life. Can be very contagious.
michael
Rick Cook

Lane wrote:
I think that if you mount it on a vehicle, you could not only bother
people, but outright demolish their houses with this device. Seriously.

It definitely beats the guy who stole an M-1 tank and rode over a
bunch of other cars...

Naw, that was kinda cool in a weird way, also the guy with the bullet
proofed, dozer. Hey, who hasn't thought about doing something like that. But
being the "civilized" people that we are, most of us don't. Thank goodness!

Lane

Along with stress, civilization is also what you get when you suppress
the perfectly natural urge to choke the living **** out of some asshole
who really, truly, _desperately_ needs it.

There are penalties attached to this civilization thing.

--RC

Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
Sheet Metal project price question. lane Metalworking 7 January 4th 04 08:56 PM
metal tubes Allan Adler Metalworking 7 September 26th 03 04:30 AM
sheet metal gas engine project clare @ snyder.on .ca Metalworking 10 August 27th 03 01:47 AM
Sheet Metal Richard Ferguson Metalworking 3 August 1st 03 05:19 PM