Allan Adler

Default metal tubes

Are metal electron tubes made entirely out of metal or does the metal
merely cap some glass which constitutes the real tube? Are metal electron
tubes easier to make than glass ones? I would think they are, since one
avoids the problems of making a glass-to-metal seal. But maybe there are
other problems, such as getting a good vacuum, avoiding unuathorized circuit
paths, etc. Which is actually cheaper to make? I realize the answer might
depend on whether you are only making one or making 10,000, but in either
case.

Michael A. Terrell writes:
According to discussions on news:rec.antiques.radio+phono they were
made both ways, some were metal cased glass tubes, while others were
really metal tubes. You can use Google groups to search out the threads.

Thanks, I found one thread on rec.antiques.radio+phono using deja-news.
I only found discussion of the metal-to-glass seal type of tubes.
The thread contained references for some books that I'll try to look at:
(1) Tyne, The saga of the vacuum tube
(2) H.J.van der Bijl, The thermionic vacuum tube and its applications
(3) Fred Rosebury, Handbook of electron tube and vacuum techniques
(4) Herbert Reich, Principles of Electron Tubes

It seems to me that if one is interested in making one's own tubes, it
must be a lot easier to machine a metal tube, seal it with flanges and
O-rings, evacuate it and have electrodes passing through the metal than
it is to learn to make reliable glass-to-metal seals. The discussion also
focuses on the large number of parameters to worry about, each of which
presumably requires a new tube. But this all metal construction presumably
makes it possible to open it up and change things in it. So this approach
seems to be more suited to experimenting with tubes if one is so inclined.

Since this boils down to a metalworking project, I'm cross posting this
to rec.crafts.metalworking.

Ignorantly,
Allan Adler

* *
* Disclaimer: I am a guest and *not* a member of the MIT Artificial *
* Intelligence Lab. My actions and comments do not reflect *
* in any way on MIT. Moreover, I am nowhere near the Boston *
* metropolitan area. *
* *
Bob Swinney

Suggest you consider the CRT in PCs and television receivers. These are
probably the most widely used vacuum tubes being manufactured today.
Considering size, strength of materials, ease of fabrication, insulation,
etc., IMO you can consier the methods used in their construction to be state
of the art.

Bob Swinney

Michael A. Terrell writes:
[...]

*

*
* Disclaimer: I am a guest and *not* a member of the MIT Artificial

*
* Intelligence Lab. My actions and comments do not reflect

*
* in any way on MIT. Moreover, I am nowhere near the Boston

*
* metropolitan area.

*
*

*

Jim Thompson

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 15:30:49 GMT, "Bob Swinney"
wrote:

Suggest you consider the CRT in PCs and television receivers. These are
probably the most widely used vacuum tubes being manufactured today.
Considering size, strength of materials, ease of fabrication, insulation,
etc., IMO you can consier the methods used in their construction to be state
of the art.

Bob Swinney

[snip]

And they had *metal* bells at least in the '50's, maybe early '60's.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

In sci.electronics.misc Zak wrote:

O-rings are tricky. If you have a square channel with a round ring in,
gas will be trapped where round meets square; this air will eventually
escape. The same applies to flanges coming too close together, and
really anything that you cannot heat very well.

This is called a virtual leak and when you are tying for 10^-6 torr
can be a real pain! Conflat is good, but you really need to be able
to bake out. Of course you can use a stupid big pump to overcome some of
these problems, a big sorbitron pump with short large diameter lines
can pump really fast (as can a cryopump).

If I was playing with valves, I would probably use a belljar with the
feedthru electrical connections made via the base plate.

Do not seriously consider a diffusion pump, they are a pain (especially
when the line to the backing pump comes up to atmosphere by accident).
Even when operating normally they need a cryotrap to keep backstreaming
under control for most applications. A turbopump is a much more
satisfactory pump for most uses.

Regards, Dan.
--
** The email address *IS* valid, do NOT remove the spamblock
And on the evening of the first day the lord said...........
Zak

Allan Adler wrote:

It seems to me that if one is interested in making one's own tubes, it
must be a lot easier to machine a metal tube, seal it with flanges and
O-rings, evacuate it and have electrodes passing through the metal than
it is to learn to make reliable glass-to-metal seals. The discussion also
focuses on the large number of parameters to worry about, each of which
presumably requires a new tube. But this all metal construction presumably
makes it possible to open it up and change things in it. So this approach
seems to be more suited to experimenting with tubes if one is so inclined.

Experimenting yes, if you can leave your pump running.

But for manufacturing it is not so good. The glass-to-metal seal is easy
enough: make sure your glass and pin material belong together.

I agree that blowing a nice multi pin glass base with the pins in
correctly is not easy at all, but it lends itself well to an industrial
process.

I'd think you can buy these for custom tube work, in a specified glass.

Now, if you leave your tube connected to the pump you could even use
vacuum epoxy to seal everything.

O-rings are tricky. If you have a square channel with a round ring in,
gas will be trapped where round meets square; this air will eventually
escape. The same applies to flanges coming too close together, and
really anything that you cannot heat very well.

Thomas

Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen

If you want a very good vacuum, use stainless steel construction,
flanges with knife edges and oxygen free copper rings for sealing.
Avoid screw holes and such which can trap dirt or moisture on the
inside. Flat flanges and copper wire also works for sealing. Brass
construction is also ok, but beware of the zinc vapour pressure.
Epoxy may be OK, but unless it is cured by heat, I would be vary of
outgassing. Apiezon has a full range of sealing compounds for UHV.

Stainless steel is actually better than glass, as glass will allow
hydrogen through in time. Bead blast or pickle to get rid of any
oxides after welding. Clean everything in ultrasonic cleaner or
similar equipment, rinse with distilled water, clean again with
degreasing agent such as acteone or hexane. A vapour degreaser is
excellent. Bake everything after assembly while you are pumping. This
helps the outgassing. Heat can be applied with a heat gun or heating
tape.

"Z" == Zak writes:

Z Allan Adler wrote:
It seems to me that if one is interested in making one's own tubes, it
must be a lot easier to machine a metal tube, seal it with flanges and
O-rings, evacuate it and have electrodes passing through the metal than
it is to learn to make reliable glass-to-metal seals. The discussion also
focuses on the large number of parameters to worry about, each of which
presumably requires a new tube. But this all metal construction presumably
makes it possible to open it up and change things in it. So this approach
seems to be more suited to experimenting with tubes if one is so inclined.

Z Experimenting yes, if you can leave your pump running.

Z But for manufacturing it is not so good. The glass-to-metal seal is
Z easy enough: make sure your glass and pin material belong together.

Z I agree that blowing a nice multi pin glass base with the pins in
Z correctly is not easy at all, but it lends itself well to an
Z industrial process.

Z I'd think you can buy these for custom tube work, in a specified glass.

Z Now, if you leave your tube connected to the pump you could even use
Z vacuum epoxy to seal everything.

Z O-rings are tricky. If you have a square channel with a round ring in,
Z gas will be trapped where round meets square; this air will eventually
Z escape. The same applies to flanges coming too close together, and
Z really anything that you cannot heat very well.

Z Thomas

--
This page intentionally left blank
Harry Conover

Allan Adler wrote in message ...

It seems to me that if one is interested in making one's own tubes, it
must be a lot easier to machine a metal tube, seal it with flanges and
O-rings, evacuate it and have electrodes passing through the metal than
it is to learn to make reliable glass-to-metal seals.

It may seem so, Allan, but the opposite case is often true.

First, in making vacuum tubes, you are always going to end up with
either glass to metal or metal to ceramic seals, because the seals
must maintain a hard vacuum over a wide temperature range, the
differential thermal expansion characteristics of various materials,
and and a number of other factors. These considerations pretty much
rule out that use of any materials except for vacuum hard metals of
specific types (these metals exhibit similar thermal expansion
characteristics as that of glass or ceramic). O-rings are not an
option, except for experimental configurations where the vacuum pump
remains connected to the vacuum tube at all times.

Traditionally, glass headers with special metal connection pins
typically made of Kovar or Invar are mass produced and sold to tube
manufacturers so that the tube manufacturer does not need to address
process details of producing the glass to metal seal. The tube
elements are assembled on the glass header and generally spot welded
together. The header mounted assembly is then covered with either a
glass or metal envelope and fused together.

The tube can then be evacuated by pumping on a piece of glass tubing
attached to either the top of the tube (typical of miniature tubes
like a 6AL5 or 12AU7) or from the bottom of the header (as was done
with most octal based tubes (like a 6L6 or 5Y3). Once a moderate
vacuum exists in the tube, the pump down tube is tipped off with a
torch, sealing the still incomplete vacuum. I should not that the tube
is almost always kept in an over while being pumped down, because both
the glass and metal tube structure ougasses while being pumped down.

The ultimate level of vacuum in the tube is produced by "gettering"
once the tube has been sealed. Gettering involves the vacuum
deposition of a special metal film on a portion of the tube surface
inside the vacuum. The metal film attracts and contains most of the
remaining gas molecules in the tube after pumpdown and tip-off
operations are complete.

Large industrial and transmitting tubes are similarly manufactured,
although the scale and geometry of these tubes are completely
different. The same basic concepts involving glass to metal or ceramic
to metal seals are employed. Many of these are large triodes and
tetrodes, x-ray tubes, magnetrons, klystrons, etc. With the larger
triodes and tetrodes, often the plate or anode forms the outside
surface of the tube envelope, with grid, cathode, and heater
connections being passed through a glass or ceramic headers at each
end of a cylindrical plate or anode. Eimac type 3F2500F3 and 4CX250
are examples of external anode tube structures, while the Eimac 4-400A
is an example of a glass power tube envelope structure.

Methods other than glass/ceramic to metal seals have rarely been used
in the manufacture of vacuum tubes, and then only with moderate to
poor success rates. An example of this would be the videcon tube
(typically the 6198 family) whose sensitized faceplate was glued to
the tube body, because it couldn't survive the heat of a glass to
metal to glass seal. These actually lasted quite a few years in
service, and were usually replace for reasons other than loss of
vacuum. Metal envelope CRTs didn't do as well, prematurely became
'gassy', and were discontinued after a few years of trial.

I hope this sheds some light on what is now an increasingly extinct
technology except for large power devices, extreme audio enthusiasts,
and survivalist radio operators. :-)

Harry C.
Tim Williams

"Harry Conover" wrote in message
The ultimate level of vacuum in the tube is produced by "gettering"
once the tube has been sealed. Gettering involves the vacuum
deposition of a special metal film ...

Typically barium, AFAIK.

I hope this sheds some light on what is now an increasingly extinct
technology except for .. extreme audio enthusiasts,

Hello
http://webpages.charter.net/dawill/Images/6W6_PP.jpg

and survivalist radio operators. :-)

- Soon to be, with any luck...

Tim

--
In the immortal words of Ned Flanders: "No foot longs!"

Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
Tool wanted to cut metal slot Jan UK diy 15 March 11th 04 08:49 PM
sheet metal gas engine project clare @ snyder.on .ca Metalworking 10 August 27th 03 01:47 AM