Bruce

Default Mounting a metal shear

I just purchased the Enco 8 inch plate shear. I need to mount it onto
something otherwise when you pull on the handle the shear tilts
forward and you loose the leverage to cut things. I like to keep the
shear portable...Has anyone found a way to do this. The shear has
four mounting holes. I started to build a small stand for it....but
since I got interupted before welding the stand up, I thought I might
ask here before I go any further.

Thanks

Bruce
Grant Erwin

If you have a bench you can clamp it to the bench top with C clamps.
I have a hand-operated punch that I do that with, it works OK.

When you do build a table for it (if you do) then make sure you screw
it to a wall. Really stabilizes things. Also, think about designing
the capability for stops, fence, etc. so you can do repetitive work
accurately.

Um, if you happen to have a big milling machine sitting around you
can use milling clamps to clamp it to one end of the table, should
be plenty stable.

I for one would be interested in how well that works out for you.

Grant

Bruce wrote:

I just purchased the Enco 8 inch plate shear. I need to mount it onto
something otherwise when you pull on the handle the shear tilts
forward and you loose the leverage to cut things. I like to keep the
shear portable...Has anyone found a way to do this. The shear has
four mounting holes. I started to build a small stand for it....but
since I got interupted before welding the stand up, I thought I might
ask here before I go any further.

Thanks

Bruce

Nicholas Carter

I have a heinrich shear that has a little metal tongue hinged on the
base that flips down to be clamped in a vise - you could bolt the
sheat to a t-section of hotrolled or aluminum and then just clamp the
T in the vise when you want to use it. Of course that means you wil
have to have your vise bolted to the bench...
On 8 Oct 2003 07:16:37 -0700, (Bruce) wrote:

I just purchased the Enco 8 inch plate shear. I need to mount it onto
something otherwise when you pull on the handle the shear tilts
forward and you loose the leverage to cut things. I like to keep the
shear portable...Has anyone found a way to do this. The shear has
four mounting holes. I started to build a small stand for it....but
since I got interupted before welding the stand up, I thought I might
ask here before I go any further.

Thanks

Bruce

Leo Lichtman

(clip) I like to keep theshear portable (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^
I picture a pair of steel rails, say 1/4" x 2", running from the front to
the back of the shear, and bolted under the feet at each end. On your
bench, you create a pair of slots that those will slide into. The shear
will not tilt, but will slide out easily.

Bruce

I will post some photos of the mount early next week. But what I
ended up doing was mounting the shear to a 2x3 foot plate of metal,
then welded some 2 foot long 4inch I-beams to the bottom of this,
added a set of wheels to the back of the mount so I can roll it around
the shop. My shear is kind of big to be lifting up and down onto my
bench or into my vice. It weighs about sixty pounds and has a 44 inch
long handle. That was the main problem with puting it on my work
bench, the handle is so long, that I can't reach up to pull it down
with any leverage when it is on my bench. Now I can roll it to a
corner of my shop and by lifting one end, it will sit upright and take
up very little space in my shop. The down side is I end up working on
the floor.....

Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
metal tubes Allan Adler Metalworking 7 September 26th 03 04:30 AM
Men, Metal & Machines - NEW Model Engineering Expo (Updated 23 Aug 2003) Scott S. Logan Metalworking 0 September 13th 03 05:47 PM
cutting sheet metal with circular saw???? Roy Jenson Metalworking 3 August 31st 03 05:11 PM
sheet metal gas engine project clare @ snyder.on .ca Metalworking 10 August 27th 03 01:47 AM