Randy Zimmerman

I ran a half inch hydraulic shear years ago and its rating was quarter inch
for stainless and 5/8 for aluminum. I would expect your maximum capacity
would be 5/16 for aluminum. You might be able to hear 3/8 but that would be
maximum in my opinion. It also would depend on what alloy.
Randy
"Greg" wrote in message
oups.com...
At work we just set up an older Mechanical metal shear. It is a
Niagara 1/4" capacity 8 foot model 88. So.. I call up Bliss clearing
Niagara and ask for a manual. While I am on the phone I say " Please
tell me that I am not spending $150 for 20 pages of generic safety BS
and 2 pages of documentation" the sales weasel assures me that will not
be the case. 10 days later a beutiful two inch binder arrives. 25 pages
of inapplicable warnings, 10 pages of redundant shear safety stuff and
oh yes 6 pages of part numbers and drawings, two of which are to the
wrong machine. I call them up and ask where the rest is and they say
thats it. So wise guy I am I ask whatabout the Lubrication chart,
lube specification sheet, operation instructions, maintenace
information and setup information. Not available. Next question is it a
coincedance that the only information available are the parts that you
can sell me instead of useful information? Of course not.

SORRY ABOUT THE TIRADE. Question: Since Aluminum has basically 1/2 the
shear strength of mild steel what about the shear capacity of Aluminum
on this machine? Think I need to adjust the shear blade clearance also,
I guess I will consult my manual. Right.....