Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
George

Default Foot wear

"DonkeyHody" wrote in message
ps.com...

vdubbs wrote:
Yes this is on topic,

I would like to ask those of you who have work areas that are on some
form of concrete, what kind of shoes do you wear while there? Do you
use any kind of mats to stand on? Last, but not least are you flat
footed?

No I am not going to try to sell you something, just want to know what
I need to change to help my legs and back while standing in the shop.
Being 300lbs does not help, I know.

I have never really been able to say for sure that being flat footed
has been a problem for me, but I may need to look for different shoes
while standing for long periods of time in the work shop.

Thanks for your input!

Man, I feel your pain. My floor is wood, I'm not flat-footed, and I
only weigh 165, but I still have foot and back pain when I stand in the
shop for extended periods. I've tried walking shoes and running shoes,
but the best footwear I've found is lightweight hiking boots. My
favorites are Sierra Lites by Hi Tech. They won't break the bank at
only about $65 a pair. They have better arch support than either of
the others, and my back seems to hurt less too. I'm not sure how being
flat-footed would effect that equation.

Two flatfooted females in my family. Only thing they've found other than
the orthotics is Birkenstocks. Both of them are able to wear and walk in
them for extended periods. I do insist they break the "rules" of
Birkenstocks and shave their legs, though.

Keep a couple of different heel heights available, wear orthotics or
Birkenstocks - I have clogs - and if you're turning a long time, put a six
by six chunk where you can raise one foot on it while turning. Does wonders
for the back as it transfers the load.