Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
Charlie Self

Default Foot wear

Darrell Feltmate wrote:
I hear you Charlie. There is something about reading a cook book that puts
on 10 pounds these days. I can not even blame it on my wife (first and only,
I hope), I do the cooking. The old hair seems a bit grayer too. Funny, it
does not appear to have anything to do with footwear. I am a little envious
over folks who have enough time in a work shop to worry about it hurting a
back, but not envious enough to have back pain.

I wish my shop time was invested in building things more often than
cleaning and shooting photos.

Right now, I'm wearing a pair of slip-on $30 LL Bean shoes, with VA
prescribed orthotic inserts. My back has never been a shop problem, but
my feet and knees can make up for that with any other footwear. I'm
supposed to be getting some orthotic shoes in a week or 10 days.
Probably combine those with the inserts and see what happens.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tom Nie

Wow, Thanks Lobby. Please try to remember me if you find that other
bookmark.

TomNie

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message
"Tom Nie" wrote:

The only kind of casual dress shoe I've found, only recently, is an
ungodly expensive ECCO brand. It has my preferred sole but cost $160!
But they are outstandingly comfortable. I'm sure there's merit to all
the other posts but I haven't tried them.

You can get ECCOs a lot cheaper than that. I've got a pair of ECCO running
shoes on my feet right now. Cost about $70.00 on line. Can't recall who
had
them (one of these days I'll organize my bookmarks), but Sierra Trading
Post www.SierraTradingPost.com has ECCO Flexor Walking Shoes for $80
right now. You may have to dig around a few places to get the size you
want. Other than the runners, I've got hiking boots, three pair of shoes,
and a pair of sandals from ECCO. Bought my first pair in a mall. Guy says
'try these - go walk in the mall for ten minutes'. I did. Came back and
bought two pair. One of the things I really like is being able to buy
online because their sizes ar consistent.

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
vdubbs

Charlie Self wrote:
Darrell Feltmate wrote:
I hear you Charlie. There is something about reading a cook book that puts
on 10 pounds these days. I can not even blame it on my wife (first and only,
I hope), I do the cooking. The old hair seems a bit grayer too. Funny, it
does not appear to have anything to do with footwear. I am a little envious
over folks who have enough time in a work shop to worry about it hurting a
back, but not envious enough to have back pain.

I wish my shop time was invested in building things more often than
cleaning and shooting photos.

Right now, I'm wearing a pair of slip-on $30 LL Bean shoes, with VA
prescribed orthotic inserts. My back has never been a shop problem, but
my feet and knees can make up for that with any other footwear. I'm
supposed to be getting some orthotic shoes in a week or 10 days.
Probably combine those with the inserts and see what happens.

This has been a good thread, mostly, I now have some things to look
into and some I have tried already.

I fly a desk as my vocation as an IT administrator and sitting on my
arse eating bonbons all day does nothing for my school girl figure.
This I do know does nothing for my health, but 30 years of putting it
on will not drop off overnight by walking 10 miles daily with the wrong
shoes on.

Thanks Folks for the useful info.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser

"Tom Nie" wrote:

Wow, Thanks Lobby. Please try to remember me if you find that other
bookmark.

Sure will. Problem is finding them on sale AND in the size you want. I just
kept digging till I found what I wanted.
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
Clifford Heath

Charlie Self wrote:
...after three

knee surgeries, none caused by obesity

Yup, there's exceptions to every rule, of course. But there's no
good reason that even a sedentary person should let themselves
get to 300lb, though it's much easier if you can exercise.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Barry N. Turner

I watched Paul Ferrell do a turning demo in Louisville, KY barefoot. He
came in with Bermuda shorts, a tank top and flip flops. He quickly kicked
off the flip flops.........made a comment about liking the feel of the cool
concrete on his feet and launched into the demo. He did caution his
audience not to follow in his footsteps........:-) Sorry, couldn't resist.
He also made a comment about not dropping any sharp tools...........Barry

"Arch" wrote in message
I remember noting that R. Raffin wore clogs or sandals while taping a
video or a photo for a book. I think he later corrected this and advised
wearing safety shoes. Maybe he corrected for legal reasons, but a
lacerated or fractured foot or ankle would sure add an acute problem to
that of chronic back or leg pain. Have any of you sustained a turning
related foot or ankle injury due to failure to wear safety shoes?

I have no personal experience with Birkenstocks, but I wonder if
Birkenstock makes safety shoes approved for industrial wear? If so,
they are probably expensive, but may be worth it. An interesting thread
and the subject is also in our archives.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
Barry N. Turner

From listening to previous comments........it seems that more than a few of
us need to make a New Year's Resolution..........(myself included, 275#
here)........that is to lose a little weight and get some exercise. As much
fun as turning is........it's not very strenuous and just doesn't burn many
calories.

Barry

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
oups.com...

Clifford Heath wrote:
mike wrote:
I think that the problem needs to be tackled in a different way..
I am pretty sure that if the hamstrings

Agree totally. I can't believe that these obese posters think
that what they put *under* their feet will fix the problems
they've caused by what they put *over* them.

Go for a decent *fast* walk for an hour, 4-5 miles, a couple of
times a week, your hammies and glutes will gain so much tone
they'll hold your pelvis upright and suck your gut in, stop it
hanging forward and dragging your back further out of line. You
might even lose some of that excess weight. I wasn't overweight,
but when I started walking *hard* for one hour a week, I lost
a Kg (2.2lb) *each week* for the first 8 weeks.

There you go. Just the thing for everyone. Unfortunately, after three
knee surgeries, none caused by obesity, and arthritis in my feet, a
fast walk is something I watch other people do. I'd guess some more of
us fat slobs who put too much "over" our feet are in the same boat,
whether from injury or illness.

What you can or can't believe has no relevance outside your own family.

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
Barry N. Turner

Has anyone tried "Crocs"? Injection molded sandals?

Barry

"Leon" wrote in message
Hey Swingman,

I probably went through 4 or 5 pair of Rockport Pro Walkers beginning in
about 1989. They look a lot like the Rockport World Tour Classic that you
mentioned. In 1996 I switched to the hiking shoe, low top. More
expensive but I could wear the soles out on the Pro Walkers in about 9
months walking on concrete all day and had them factory reconditioned. I
am on my 3rd pair of the Rockport hiking shoes in about 9 years. I am
getting about 3 times the mileage plus they are water proof. Great when
working out doors. Get them muddy and simply hose them off while you are
wearing them. I DO NOT do anything to take care of them except replace the
shoe laces about 3 times before I retire them. I "highly" recommend them
over the walking shoes. More comfortable also IMHO.
They come in a hi-top also.

Look here.

http://shop.rockport.com/product/ind...entPage=family

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Leon" wrote in message
For about 18 years and standing on concrete I wear Rockport Hiking
shoes.

6', 205 ... and my biggest problems are with a service connected knee
injury, and the fact that I walk at least two miles _every_ day, rain or
shine, knee be damned, before sun up.

I wear Rockport World Tour Classic exclusively, both walking and in the
shop.

Own three pair, two of which I have added inserts on top of the regular
inserts, and one pair, the brown suede version of the WTC, that are more
comfortable without double inserts ... go figure.

IOW, while all Rockport's are not created equal, at least for me, (the
last
batch, and most comfortable, are not made in China, but Vietnam, from
whence
the knee injury coincidentally originates ... there is some justice in
this
world) I still find them the most comfortable, all day shop shoe.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
Barry N. Turner

Rockports don't do it for me........maybe too much of a load for 'em.
Timberlands either. Eccos are much better, but more expensive. Latest
offerings not made in Denmark anymore.

Barry

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Leon" wrote in message

Look here.

http://shop.rockport.com/product/ind...entPage=family

Thanks for the link. I went to the Rockport store in the Galleria back in
early December and tried everything on, but stuck with the WTC's. I don't
think these were on the wall at the time, but I will definitely call them
today and see.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
Barry N. Turner

What a thread! We must be a bunch of shoe freaks!

Barry

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message
Robatoy wrote:

Is it me, or are those really ugly? Kinda cool in a Disney sort of way.
Wearing those with some lederhosen, and no shirt, would make a statement
at the hairdressers'.

Butt Ugly! And picture Chevy Chase in 'European Vacation'.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On 11 Jan 2006 06:41:17 -0800, "vdubbs" wrote:

Yes this is on topic,

I would like to ask those of you who have work areas that are on some
form of concrete, what kind of shoes do you wear while there? Do you
use any kind of mats to stand on? Last, but not least are you flat
footed?

No I am not going to try to sell you something, just want to know what
I need to change to help my legs and back while standing in the shop.
Being 300lbs does not help, I know.

I have never really been able to say for sure that being flat footed
has been a problem for me, but I may need to look for different shoes
while standing for long periods of time in the work shop.

Thanks for your input!

probably a common answer.. I wear good waling or cross training shoes with gel
inserts and have "anti-fataige" mats in all the places that I stand a lot...
that cold cement is a bitch in the winter..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 10:07:15 -0500, "George" George@least wrote:

Two flatfooted females in my family. Only thing they've found other than
the orthotics is Birkenstocks. Both of them are able to wear and walk in
them for extended periods. I do insist they break the "rules" of
Birkenstocks and shave their legs, though.

Keep a couple of different heel heights available, wear orthotics or
Birkenstocks - I have clogs - and if you're turning a long time, put a six
by six chunk where you can raise one foot on it while turning. Does wonders
for the back as it transfers the load.

Great point, George... I have a lower shelf on both lathes to prop a foot on...
gives me more "back" time before it stops being fun..

Those that don't think this helps might notice that most bars or pubs have a
foot rail.. (and you use it without thinking about it)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 20:39:55 -0600, "Barry N. Turner"
wrote:

From listening to previous comments........it seems that more than a few of
us need to make a New Year's Resolution..........(myself included, 275#
here)........that is to lose a little weight and get some exercise. As much
fun as turning is........it's not very strenuous and just doesn't burn many
calories.

Barry

hmm... bowl turning lathes powered by treadmills or stair steppers?? *g*

I used to threaten my kids with putting their video games on DC power and
hooking the exercycle up to a generator..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser

"Barry N. Turner" wrote:

Rockports don't do it for me........maybe too much of a load for 'em.
Timberlands either. Eccos are much better, but more expensive. Latest
offerings not made in Denmark anymore.

But they are still as comfortable. At least the Danes are doing some QC
befor putting the nam on them. DAGS for cheaper ECCOs. You have to pick
through stuff and buy whatever is available in your size, but the prices
can be as low as 50% of retail and sometimes even less. Here's a start:
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/

LD
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser

mac davis wrote:

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 10:07:15 -0500, "George" George@least wrote:

Two flatfooted females in my family. Only thing they've found other
than the orthotics is Birkenstocks. Both of them are able to wear and
walk in them for extended periods. I do insist they break the "rules"
of Birkenstocks and shave their legs, though.

Keep a couple of different heel heights available, wear orthotics or
Birkenstocks - I have clogs - and if you're turning a long time, put a
six by six chunk where you can raise one foot on it while turning.
Does wonders for the back as it transfers the load.

Great point, George... I have a lower shelf on both lathes to prop a
foot on... gives me more "back" time before it stops being fun..

Those that don't think this helps might notice that most bars or pubs
have a foot rail.. (and you use it without thinking about it)

By the time I need the rail in a pub, I don't need it.

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"Barry N. Turner" wrote in message
. ..
Has anyone tried "Crocs"? Injection molded sandals?

Not deliberately, but I have a pair for working in the garden that I
sometimes neglect to leave at the door when I slip into something less
dirty. They don't have the firm arch support, which would probably make a
difference after an hour or so.

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"Ba r r y" wrote in message
On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 20:43:59 -0600, "Barry N. Turner"
wrote:

Has anyone tried "Crocs"? Injection molded sandals?

They're all the rage in hospitals among folks who rarely sit.

I always wondered if they were THAT comfortable and good, or if they
were easily sterilized.

Poor man's Birkis. I imagine it's more a monetary decision than comfort, as
I own both. Crocs have heel straps, too.

If you have ever worked much in the Emergency Department, you'd know that
washability is a highly desirable characteristic. Birkis have the insoles,
but they seldom get stained.

All my boots are stained, as well as my leather gloves, because I work the
ambulance. Dark, cold, blood and fluids. All you can do is spray the areas
of your clothing when you get to the lights and hope for the best.

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
Tom Nie

"vdubbs" wrote in message
oups.com...
Yes this is on topic,

I would like to ask those of you who have work areas that are on some
form of concrete, what kind of shoes do you wear while there? Do you
use any kind of mats to stand on? Last, but not least are you flat
footed?

No I am not going to try to sell you something, just want to know what
I need to change to help my legs and back while standing in the shop.
Being 300lbs does not help, I know.

I have never really been able to say for sure that being flat footed
has been a problem for me, but I may need to look for different shoes
while standing for long periods of time in the work shop.

Thanks for your input!

This thread is amazing. Folks you never hear from and long as a kid's
Christmas list. Still, it's great info and kinda fun to hear some of the
personal info on folks that you only know by posts on turning. At 63 and not
a computer dude I find this internet thing cool as it so quickly covers so
much of the world.

TomNie

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 04:45:46 GMT, Lobby Dosser
wrote:

mac davis wrote:

[...]

not the one you hold on to, Lobby.. the foot one.. rofl

it's the one that you can't FIND after 1 or 5 adult beverages..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

wrote:

Has anyone tried "Crocs"? Injection molded sandals?

They're all the rage in hospitals among folks who rarely sit.

I always wondered if they were THAT comfortable and good, or if they
were easily sterilized.

Barry

Barry.. I'd guess that the best way to research that would be to talk to a bunch
of waitresses... after a few years, they're experts on foot and leg wear for
extended time on your feet...

My guess (and probably old fashioned now) is that hospitals would be fairly
restrictive about what footwear is allowed if you're seen by the public..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
John B

vdubbs wrote:
Yes this is on topic,

I would like to ask those of you who have work areas that are on some
form of concrete, what kind of shoes do you wear while there? Do you
use any kind of mats to stand on? Last, but not least are you flat
footed?

No I am not going to try to sell you something, just want to know what
I need to change to help my legs and back while standing in the shop.
Being 300lbs does not help, I know.

I have never really been able to say for sure that being flat footed
has been a problem for me, but I may need to look for different shoes
while standing for long periods of time in the work shop.

Thanks for your input!

My Father's arches collapsed after working on a saw mill for many years
causing him to become flat footed.
This subsequently caused some disks in his spine to slip.
The remedy was to wear boots with a substantial heel and to have inserts
which he could place in his boots supporting his arches.
I always wear Blundstone boots, they have a good instep and and a heel.
A bit pricey at about $100.00 a pair but you get bloody good mileage out
of them.
A good thick rubber mat or duck boarding at work stations also helps heaps.
regards
John
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
Brad Curfman

vdubbs wrote:
Yes this is on topic,

I would like to ask those of you who have work areas that are on some
form of concrete, what kind of shoes do you wear while there? Do you
use any kind of mats to stand on? Last, but not least are you flat
footed?

At 6-7, my biggest problem is lathe height. I haven't built up my lathe
high enough, so I take breaks to stretch and move around during turning.
I also have a bad ankle that collapses slightly due to a weakened joing
- I wear orthotics to alleviate that problem. Actually, both ankles are
bad, but that is due to trauma from multiple sprains from basketball -
which is OT.

As far as shoes go, I recommend that you never wear running shoes for
anything other than running. Running shoes are designed for running in
relatively straight lines. To achieve this design, they have little or
no arch support to make them lightweight. Since you generally don't run
in zig-zag motions, you don't need arch support. They have thick soles
or extra padding to help absorb the excessive impact on your feet, not
to provide comfort. So, standing around, or walking in running shoes
will cause aches in feet, knees, and backs. If running shoes work for
you, that's great, but there will be a time in your life when the lack
of arch support catches up to you.

Walking shoes and cross trainers are the best options when sneakers are
your choice. Both have ample arch support. I haven't tried hiking boots,
but will probably give that a shot.

My wife is a teacher and recently started wearing Dansko shoes (clogs).
She swears by these and currently has 3 pair. They are expensive, and
have very few styles for men right now, so I haven't tried them. But if
they help out a great deal, they are definitely worth the $130 or so.

I'm a New Balance man, since I have to wear B width shoes. I can get
cross trainers and basketball shoes in B width from New Balance. I had
converted my wife to New Balance from Nike, but she thinks the Dansko
shoes are much better.

Since I'm only 30, back problems don't plague me yet. I do exercise
often and have to agree with some of the other postings about
strengthening your abs and lower back from exercise/weight training. You
don't have to join a gym or throw around 100lb barbells, but ab and
lower back exercises will do wonders for you.

I also use anti fatigue mats and have found them to help out in addition
to proper footwear.

--
Brad Curfman
http://www.curfman.net
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
Keith Williams

In article ,
says...

snip

Walking shoes and cross trainers are the best options when sneakers are
your choice. Both have ample arch support. I haven't tried hiking boots,
but will probably give that a shot.

Lightweight hiking boots are quite comfortable, but it's rare I
find a pair that actually fit. My feet are strange (wide with a
very high instep) and quite hard to fit.

My wife is a teacher and recently started wearing Dansko shoes (clogs).
She swears by these and currently has 3 pair. They are expensive, and
have very few styles for men right now, so I haven't tried them. But if
they help out a great deal, they are definitely worth the $130 or so.

Don't sound good in the snow. ;-)

I'm a New Balance man, since I have to wear B width shoes. I can get
cross trainers and basketball shoes in B width from New Balance. I had
converted my wife to New Balance from Nike, but she thinks the Dansko
shoes are much better.

NB is about the only brand I've found that really fit. The cross
trainers I'm wearing now are 12-6E. (I did say my feet were
strange ;-) Infortunately, NB only makes sneaker-like shoes. I
could use a new pair of boots but I can't even get my foot in most
brands, much less find a good fit.

Since I'm only 30, back problems don't plague me yet. I do exercise
often and have to agree with some of the other postings about
strengthening your abs and lower back from exercise/weight training. You
don't have to join a gym or throw around 100lb barbells, but ab and
lower back exercises will do wonders for you.

I'm 50+, with knee and foot issues at times, but no back problems
(knock wood).

I also use anti fatigue mats and have found them to help out in addition
to proper footwear.

Gotta do that for the basement. Concrete floors are *hard* and
cold in the winter.

--
Keith
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning

Very interesting all your comments. I understand that some of you have
foot problems or foot discomfort. A year ago I found these insoles
called shockblockers. They are very comfortable. I spend most of my
work time walking on concrete floors and these insoles have helped me a
lot. I thought you may be interested to learn about these shock
absorbing insoles.
For more information, here's the link the site:
www.shockblockers.com

Cheers,
Josh

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
Keith Williams

Springy things, eh? ;-)

In article . com,
says...
Very interesting all your comments. I understand that some of you have
foot problems or foot discomfort. A year ago I found these insoles
called shockblockers. They are very comfortable. I spend most of my
work time walking on concrete floors and these insoles have helped me a
lot. I thought you may be interested to learn about these shock
absorbing insoles.

How long do they last?

For more information, here's the link the site:
www.shockblockers.com

I'm not sure they'd fit in any shoes I can wear. Maybe they'd work
in my old run-down knock-around NBs though. Interesting, but
pricey.

--
Keith

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
Scorp

On 11 Jan 2006 06:41:17 -0800, "vdubbs" wrote:

I would like to ask those of you who have work areas that are on some
form of concrete, what kind of shoes do you wear while there? Do you
use any kind of mats to stand on? Last, but not least are you flat
footed?

At work I wear Red Wing work boots, the kind made for concrete, very
nice, the only other shoe that has come close in over 25 years of "not
just standing" on concrete were a pair of Nike Air runners I got
cheap, not steel toe however but had good bounce in the sole
I hardly ever stand in the same spot, (probably the reason I've still
not broken the 200lb mark) however have found mats to help when I do.
I've also found for me moving around that lighter "boots" made a
difference to my leg fatigue at the end of the day. For those mostly
standing this may not make as much difference.

Outside work I have worn Doc Martens almost exclusively for a dozen
years, from the moment I tried a pair on in the store, can't find the
model I like anymore, but they sure last. (Still have the first pair
for gardening, just retired the second pair from daily use, third pair
still in good shape) Hmm, add another 3 pair of "other" shoes, and
that's on pair every 2 years, compare that with SWMBO....I'd make that
into a fraction but my calculator only has 10 digits

I haven't tried steel toed Doc's, don't know any retail outlets that
carry them anymore.

I have high arches, steel hamstrings, touchy back...prinking
droblem....

--------------------
Steve Jensen
Abbotsford B.C.
chopping out the mortise.
BBS'ing since 1982 at 300 bps.
Surfing along at 19200 bps since 95.
WW'ing since 1985
LV Cust #4114

Nothing catchy to say, well maybe.....
WAKE UP - There are no GODs you fools!
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
W Canaday

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 06:41:17 -0800, vdubbs wrote:

No I am not going to try to sell you something, just want to know what I
need to change to help my legs and back while standing in the shop. Being
300lbs does not help, I know.

I am on my feet on a concrete floor all day. Some standing, some walking,
some stooping. I wear Timberline / Caterpillar low-top shoes. They have a
steel toe and shank but are otherwise designed like regular sports shoe
styles ... rubber soles and a bit of leather here and there.

They tend to last me about 2 years or so for a cost of about $5 per toe /
year.

;-)

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
vdubbs

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Leon" wrote in message
[...]

I will let you know about the crocs soon. Just bought a pair yesterday
and have not got to the shop to test run them.

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
vdubbs

Clifford Heath wrote:
Charlie Self wrote:
...after three

knee surgeries, none caused by obesity

Yup, there's exceptions to every rule, of course. But there's no
good reason that even a sedentary person should let themselves
get to 300lb, though it's much easier if you can exercise.

I see the hook in that worm..........I am not bitting.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
TerryB

mac davis wrote:
On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 12:13:00 GMT, Ba r r y

Barry.. I'd guess that the best way to research that would be to talk to a bunch
of waitresses... after a few years, they're experts on foot and leg wear for
extended time on your feet...

My guess (and probably old fashioned now) is that hospitals would be fairly
restrictive about what footwear is allowed if you're seen by the public..

mac

My wife has a couple of friends that work in a bakery and they swear by
Crocs. They say it is the only way they can stay on their feet all
day.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

I got lost in this thread and detoured way off the original question.
Where foot wear is concerned I'm amazed at what vanity and fashion can
do to otherwise intellgent people. One example: I know a man with
diabetic leg ulcers. His doctor finally refused to treat him if he
wouldn't give up his western style boots. He wouldn't and he has the
amputation to prove it. Another ex: I once recognized a man in a mirror
who turned while barefoot.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
Odinn

On 1/12/2006 1:51 PM Charlie Self mumbled something about the following:
Clifford Heath wrote:
mike wrote:
[...]

Amen to that. Funny, how according to the new govt BMI standards, I'm
considered obese, but before I broke my back, I weighed exactly 20 lbs
less than I do now and a the flotation method of determining body fat
showed me at just under 8%. I was 6'0", 195 lbs, lifted weights daily
and ran 1-2 miles a day. And I did this with bad knees (hyper extended
one playing baseball when I was 17, smashed the other with a maul when I
was 16). Today, I'm 215 lbs (wife loves to cook, I've always loved to
eat), I'm still very active, but I can no longer lift weights or run
like I used to (knees have finally deteriorated to the point that even a
good fast walk hurts them).

--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshiped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
Odinn

On 1/11/2006 11:31 AM mike mumbled something about the following:
I think that the problem needs to be tackled in a different way, though
shoes are not to be discounted, a lot of that I believe is marketing. I
think that flexibility and strength are the key factors in lower back
and leg pain. For three years I have done my best to attend a weekly
Pilates and yoga class. The Pilates concentrates on core strength and
the yoga on flexibility. All of my back issues have completely gone
away once I started on this path. I am 45 years old, while this is not
old, it is old enough to start having these problems.

I am pretty sure that if the hamstrings are flexible and the
stomach/core is strong then shoes will not be quite as critical. I hope
I did not offend anyone, I am usually a lurker, but I truly feel
strongly about this. As we get older and the years of sitting start
effecting us more all of these things start to take their toll. I am
not the great all knowing one, but have just found that this works for
me and hopefully for someone else also.

I'm 45 as well, but my back problems stem from much more than mere age.
20 years ago I had a 20% compression fracture of the anterior of L1
and some nerve damage between L4 and L5. Standing in one position, bent
over, or sitting in one position too long aggravates my back. Anything
that absorbs the shock when standing or walking (padded floors or padded
insoles) lessens any stress I feel on my back.

It's not always about strength and flexibility, other things factor in
as well. According to my doc, I'm not supposed to lift anything over 10
lbs for the last 20 years. I do it anyway, and I suffer for it at times.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshiped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
TerryB

TerryB wrote:
mac davis wrote:
On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 12:13:00 GMT, Ba r r y

Barry.. I'd guess that the best way to research that would be to talk to a bunch
of waitresses... after a few years, they're experts on foot and leg wear for
extended time on your feet...

My wife has a couple of friends that work in a bakery and they swear by
Crocs. They say it is the only way they can stay on their feet all
day.

OK, I got my crocs on today at work, yea I know I do sit alot at work,
but I have been walking on break as well. ( I think it is called
exercise....) Will post findings tomorrow if I am not still walking in
my crocs. So far so good!!

FOOT SHEAR knowone Metalworking 5 December 17th 05 07:29 PM
Ariston combi boiler rebecca g UK diy 19 November 30th 05 02:42 PM
Hobart CyberTig foot pedal problems Gunner Asch Metalworking 5 November 3rd 05 04:58 PM
Metal Working Machinery New and Used in Australia and for Export [email protected] Metalworking 0 February 23rd 05 02:54 AM
Need resistor value for Hobart TR250-HF foot pedal mawdeeb Metalworking 6 October 9th 03 11:00 AM