Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bertie Pittman

Default Foot wear

On 11 Jan 2006 06:41:17 -0800, "vdubbs" wrote:

I would like to ask those of you who have work areas that are on some
form of concrete, what kind of shoes do you wear while there? Do you

From my own experience with foot and back aches I've found that I am
most comfortable on concrete when I wear a good pair of running shoes
or a good pair of sneakers that have some arch support and good thick
rubber soles. I sometimes find that foam or gel inserts also help.

The footwear industry seem to make a lot of worthless junk IMO and
what works for many don't always work for me. Some of the most
expensive and highly rated have not been any better for me than
cheaper brands or different kinds of shoes . I've only found them by
continued trial and error.

Although they aren't safety shoes , when standing at the lathe for
long periods of time I now wear a pair of New Balance tennis shoes but
I've had other brands that worked just as well. For me, my shoes have
be comfortable first for general walking then hopefully they'll
continue to support and be comfortable after extended standing or work
on concrete or steel. I also have foam type pad that's made to stand
on in front of my lathe and my band saw. And I learned from a lady
that used to post regularly in this newsgroup about sweeping the
shavings pile up in front of my lathe to stand on. The only problem
with that idea was my dogs likes those shavings piles and I'd have to
be constantly jousting with them or just work with them underfoot.

It may also be more than just shoes involved. Notwithstanding any
medical condition, age seems to make a difference also, more than
one's weight IMO. After becoming a wood turner I had terrible back
aches from bending over on the lathe. But after I learned about
raising the lathe high enough so the center line between the spur and
tail stock was about as high as my elbow or a little higher there are
no more back aches. That tip gleaned here also prompted me to also
raise many other things in my life such as band saws, bench grinders,
work benches, tables, etc.. even my fish cleaning bench is now much
higher and I'm more comfortable for sure!

I also know a teacher that is on her feet all day on concrete or tiled
floors. She is a larger lady and has had trouble with her feet hurting
over the years. She now wears and swear's by Birkenstocks. But she
only wears the "sandal" types, not safety shoes.

Bertie