Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
robo hippy

Default Foot wear

Well, I am no light weight (265), and my feet and back tend to get
irritated when I stand at the lathe for long periods of time. I do have
some mats on the floor, and they help. I can't wear Birkenstocks
because of my foot shape, but New Balance makes shoes in the wide
sizes. I do a couple of things to help. I think posture is a big thing
in eliminating back pain. It is an effort because I don't think as much
about sucking in the old gut to impress the ladies as I used to.
Strengthening the stomach and back muscles will keep the back in line.
Having the lathe at the proper height is another big factor. If you
have to bend over at the waist to turn anything, that will put stress
on your back (most of us walk erect). Also, I wear pressure stockings.
Not the prescription type (yet) but the Dr. Scholls (I think)style.
They make a big difference on how your feet feel at the end of the day.
Some times I will take a break and hit the exercycle for a few minutes
to get tho blood flowing again. Tap your feet in time to the music.
Shift your weight back and forth. Oh yes, this year I will loose some
of those ghosts from Christmas Pasts.
robo hippy