Arch

Default Musing about 'don'ts' that don't necessarily apply to you.

I notice that whenever I do turn an acceptable one-off, I....

1. don't confuse neatness with workmanship.

2. don't put anything on wood that I think shouldn't be on wood or add
grain and figure that nature didn't put there.

3, don't cover up, but I do embellish and I try to understand the
difference.

4, don't try to do more with turning than turning can do. Like weavers,
and unlike potters, I have mechanical restrictions and I try to make
these limits a plus.

5. don't think of my calipers, rulers, lasers etc. as required artist's
tools.

6. don't use a fixed tool holder and my tool rest is also a hand rest.

7. don't turn from a pattern, not even my own and in front of me.

8. don't sand to 2000 grit and add a single thick coat of finish or
wax.

9. don't try to be the turner I'm not or try to make someone else's
turnings.

10. don't begin without some sort of plan.

....and finally, I refuse to believe that design talent is only for the
chosen, so I try to learn something about form & design instead of
depending on hope alone to turn a pleasing object.

I bet your dont's will differ, what are they?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Arch

My turning advice may be iffy, but there is no doubt that my
alliteration is bad. Please change " I refuse to believe" to "Don't
believe". Sorry Leif and all you other wordsmiths. A.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Leif Thorvaldson

"Arch" wrote in message
My turning advice may be iffy, but there is no doubt that my
alliteration is bad. Please change " I refuse to believe" to "Don't
believe". Sorry Leif and all you other wordsmiths. A.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

That's all right, Arch. We allow special dispensation for folks from
Florida!*G*

Leif

Arch

Thank you Leif. We folks can use special dispensation here in God's
waiting room. Wherever I go, I'm never the oldest and that includes
woodturners. A.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

9. don't try to be the turner I'm not or try to make someone else's
turnings.

...and finally, I refuse to believe that design talent is only for the
chosen, so I try to learn something about form & design instead of
depending on hope alone to turn a pleasing object.

Arch,

I certainly agree with your "don't #9". I used to be a little guilty
of this; trying to do a hollow form, bowl or box "as good as xyz".
But I know I'll never be a famous turner, I can't live long enough to
get that good. Plus all that fame is a lot of pressure.

I also agree with your last statement, at least for a lot of us;
however there are people who just cannot "see" a good form/design.
Sort of like my inability to grasp anything regarding the computer.
Form and design also falls somewhat into the catagory of "in the eyes
of the beholder" because I've seen some forms/designs in well-known
galleries that make me shake my head.

The only "don'ts" of my own I would add are;

1. I don't finish everything before another piece of wood is calling to
me (you know how wood speaks, can't keep them quiet!).

2. I don't put tools back where I found them....arrgghhh drives me
nuts!

3. I don't have patience enough to do this or that with tear out or
punky spalted or ? ........ it goes in the burn pile. "Life's too
short to turn Crappy wood" (quote by John Jordan: we're going to put
that on a T-shirt!)

4. I don't diligently get my work out there for sale (which reminds
me, I need to ask something in a new thread)(sorry, us Old people have
to say things immediately so we don't forget!!)

Heck, I DON'T do a lot of things!

Fun thread, Arch, good work.

Ruth
www.torne-lignum.com
(new color shirts w/outline design!)

Arch

Ruth, you may be guilty of posting wrong information. I'm not sure what
famous implies, but if it means well known, well respected and well
liked you are already there. So say we all.

Judging by the number of don'ts posted so far, the do's have it. Maybe a
more positive list and timely question would have been "what condiments
or food safe finishes will y'all put on your 4th of July hot dogs?"
Naw, too jingoistic and not PC. Instead I'll ask what is the favored
dish from your family's roots? I'll quietly remember my Anglo-Saxon
roots with the second half of a tepid stout and the remains of a cold
ploughman's lunch at our family's annual looser's picnic. Then it's on
to hot dogs & a Bud or two.

I wish everyone on rcw either a Glorious Fourth of July Holiday or a
glorious 4th day in July. I'm learning. How's that for indivisive PC?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Arch wrote:
Ruth, you may be guilty of posting wrong information. I'm not sure what
famous implies, but if it means well known, well respected and well
liked you are already there. So say we all.

*****************************
Thank you, Arch, you are sweet. And you're making me blush; I really
do blush quite easily.

dish from your family's roots? I'll quietly remember my Anglo-Saxon
roots with the second half of a tepid stout and the remains of a cold
ploughman's lunch at our family's annual looser's picnic. Then it's on
to hot dogs & a Bud or two.

Just last year my mother taught me how to make perfect Ukranian
perrogies, fried up with butter and onions (fat free; yeah, right!).
My favorite brew is a local, Yuengling Lager or water.

Ruth

George

wrote in message
oups.com...
Just last year my mother taught me how to make perfect Ukranian
perrogies, fried up with butter and onions (fat free; yeah, right!).
My favorite brew is a local, Yuengling Lager or water.

Now there's a job for a good rolling pin - pirohi (Ukrainian uses the "H"
sound versus the "G") dough. Tough stuff. Matter of fact, that's what I
usually have to do to bargain for home made, offer to roll the dough. Good
turning project to make the cutter, too.

I'll be eating the Cornish equivalent today - pasties. Church used to do
an annual sale for which I made, every year, dough cutters, rolling pins and
pasty lifters (sort of a long turner) to get them off the hot trays into the
bags. All of which seemed to disappear every year in spite of the fact that
the women were familiar with the seventh commandment.

Few of them should have been more familiar with the sixth....

Owen Lowe

In article , "George"
wrote:

I'll be eating the Cornish equivalent today - pasties.

Well, damn. I'm familiar with pasties - though haven't seen nearly
enough of them in this life - but I never though about eating them.
Seems the sequins would get stuck in yer teeth - but maybe that's what
the tassels are for - floss.

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners,
Cascade Woodturners,
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Safety Tip'o'th'week: Never grind aluminum and steel or iron on the same
machine or workstation - Thermite.
http://www.hanford.gov/lessons/sitell/ll01/2001-36.htm
Lobby Dosser

Owen Lowe wrote:

In article , "George"
wrote:

I'll be eating the Cornish equivalent today - pasties.

Well, damn. I'm familiar with pasties - though haven't seen nearly
enough of them in this life - but I never though about eating them.
Seems the sequins would get stuck in yer teeth - but maybe that's what
the tassels are for - floss.

Now there's a don't: Don't come home to your bride of less than a year
twirling a tassel.
Arch

Well since we are getting down & greasy and into gourmet cuisine, forget
the don'ts of turning. What about cheese grits, red eye gravy, hoecake
cornbread, sorghum and buttermilk for the befores? Then a main course of
crackling bread, sweet taters, hog's head souse, clabber and home brew,
vintage 2005 1/2. Perhaps you'd like to share your regional gourmet
specialities?

You can take the boy out of the country, but not the country out of the
boy etc., but no matter how great for losing weight, the above food is
mostly for talking. When I left home, I learned that steak & potatoes
are for eating. Belch!

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Ralph

Arch wrote:
Well since we are getting down & greasy and into gourmet cuisine, forget
the don'ts of turning. What about cheese grits, red eye gravy, hoecake
cornbread, sorghum and buttermilk for the befores? Then a main course of
crackling bread, sweet taters, hog's head souse, clabber and home brew,
vintage 2005 1/2. Perhaps you'd like to share your regional gourmet
specialities?

You can take the boy out of the country, but not the country out of the
boy etc., but no matter how great for losing weight, the above food is
mostly for talking. When I left home, I learned that steak & potatoes
are for eating. Belch!

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

OK Arch I'll give it a try. The dishes will be spelled/misspelled
phonetically since I've lost 98% of the Ukrainian Language.
Holopsy(cabbage rolls); Nelesniki(crapes with cheese and cream);
Pereshke(cheese bun in cream); Boiled chicken(in cream);
Natchingka(Oatmeal baked with fat) Borscht(with cream); Boiled wheat and
Honey; Beets with mushrooms and Garlic; Baked Beans with lard and
garlic. Eggs fried in cream; Studinats (headcheese from pig hocks and
other pork delicious with lots of garlic). Top this of with garlic
where ever you can. The funny thing is that I also became a beef and
potatoes person when I left home although it is nice to go back home and
partake in some of the traditional dishes now and then.

Ralph

Arch wrote:
[...]

other pork delicacies with lots of garlic). Top this of with garlic
where ever you can. The funny thing is that I also became a beef and
potatoes person when I left home although it is nice to go back home and
partake in some of the traditional dishes now and then.

mac davis

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 18:58:55 GMT, Lobby Dosser
wrote:

Owen Lowe wrote:

In article , "George"
wrote:

I'll be eating the Cornish equivalent today - pasties.

Well, damn. I'm familiar with pasties - though haven't seen nearly
enough of them in this life - but I never though about eating them.
Seems the sequins would get stuck in yer teeth - but maybe that's what
the tassels are for - floss.

Now there's a don't: Don't come home to your bride of less than a year
twirling a tassel.

hmm... brings to mind that old joke about the guy that came to work wearing an
ear ring...
his buddy asked him "how long you been wearing that?"
the guy said "since my wife found it in my truck"...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Martin Rost

I'll be eating the Cornish equivalent today - pasties. Church used to do
an annual sale for which I made, every year, dough cutters, rolling pins

and
pasty lifters (sort of a long turner) to get them off the hot trays into

the
bags. All of which seemed to disappear every year in spite of the fact

that
the women were familiar with the seventh commandment.

Few of them should have been more familiar with the sixth....

George,
I admit I had to look them up, but maybe you meant eighth and seventh
(stealing and adultery) not seventh and sixth (adultery and murder), or do
different denominations number them differently?
Martin

George

"Martin Rost" rostmartin @ hot mail . com wrote in message

I'll be eating the Cornish equivalent today - pasties. Church used to

do
an annual sale for which I made, every year, dough cutters, rolling pins

and
pasty lifters (sort of a long turner) to get them off the hot trays into

the
bags. All of which seemed to disappear every year in spite of the fact

that
the women were familiar with the seventh commandment.

Few of them should have been more familiar with the sixth....

George,
I admit I had to look them up, but maybe you meant eighth and seventh
(stealing and adultery) not seventh and sixth (adultery and murder), or do
different denominations number them differently?
Martin

Obviously I didn't look them up, but it's been a while since catechism.

The division and ordering of the commandments in use in the Catholic Church
is that adopted by St. Augustine (Quæstiones in Exodum, q. 71). That which
is commonly in vogue amongst Protestants seems to have Origen for its
sponsor.

Comes from four years in South Bend, I guess.