Arch

Default Musing about 'don'ts' that don't necessarily apply to you.

I notice that whenever I do turn an acceptable one-off, I....

1. don't confuse neatness with workmanship.

2. don't put anything on wood that I think shouldn't be on wood or add
grain and figure that nature didn't put there.

3, don't cover up, but I do embellish and I try to understand the
difference.

4, don't try to do more with turning than turning can do. Like weavers,
and unlike potters, I have mechanical restrictions and I try to make
these limits a plus.

5. don't think of my calipers, rulers, lasers etc. as required artist's
tools.

6. don't use a fixed tool holder and my tool rest is also a hand rest.

7. don't turn from a pattern, not even my own and in front of me.

8. don't sand to 2000 grit and add a single thick coat of finish or
wax.

9. don't try to be the turner I'm not or try to make someone else's
turnings.

10. don't begin without some sort of plan.

....and finally, I refuse to believe that design talent is only for the
chosen, so I try to learn something about form & design instead of
depending on hope alone to turn a pleasing object.

I bet your dont's will differ, what are they?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter