9. don't try to be the turner I'm not or try to make someone else's
turnings.

...and finally, I refuse to believe that design talent is only for the
chosen, so I try to learn something about form & design instead of
depending on hope alone to turn a pleasing object.

Arch,

I certainly agree with your "don't #9". I used to be a little guilty
of this; trying to do a hollow form, bowl or box "as good as xyz".
But I know I'll never be a famous turner, I can't live long enough to
get that good. Plus all that fame is a lot of pressure.

I also agree with your last statement, at least for a lot of us;
however there are people who just cannot "see" a good form/design.
Sort of like my inability to grasp anything regarding the computer.
Form and design also falls somewhat into the catagory of "in the eyes
of the beholder" because I've seen some forms/designs in well-known
galleries that make me shake my head.

The only "don'ts" of my own I would add are;

1. I don't finish everything before another piece of wood is calling to
me (you know how wood speaks, can't keep them quiet!).

2. I don't put tools back where I found them....arrgghhh drives me
nuts!

3. I don't have patience enough to do this or that with tear out or
punky spalted or ? ........ it goes in the burn pile. "Life's too
short to turn Crappy wood" (quote by John Jordan: we're going to put
that on a T-shirt!)

4. I don't diligently get my work out there for sale (which reminds
me, I need to ask something in a new thread)(sorry, us Old people have
to say things immediately so we don't forget!!)

Heck, I DON'T do a lot of things!

Fun thread, Arch, good work.

Ruth
www.torne-lignum.com