sPoNiX

Default Cooling a house

My house is very hot, especially upstairs. Even with the windows open
and a fan blowing it gets hot as the fans just blow the heat round and
round the room. What's needed is somewhere for the heat to go.

I was thinking, could I fit small unducted extractor fans in the
upstairs ceilings such that they blow the heat directly into the loft?
Cooler air would then be drawn in via the windows making the room
cooler.

Is there any problem with blowing air directly into the loft in this
way? Would it cool the upstairs rooms or make additional problems?

sPoNiX
Mary Fisher

"sPoNiX" wrote in message
My house is very hot, especially upstairs. Even with the windows open
and a fan blowing it gets hot as the fans just blow the heat round and
round the room. What's needed is somewhere for the heat to go.

I was thinking, could I fit small unducted extractor fans in the
upstairs ceilings such that they blow the heat directly into the loft?
Cooler air would then be drawn in via the windows making the room
cooler.

Is there any problem with blowing air directly into the loft in this
way? Would it cool the upstairs rooms or make additional problems?

sPoNiX

The rule in our house when it's hot (as it is today) is to close all
curtains on the south side and open doors to allow any moving air to get
around.

It works.

Mary

IMM

"sPoNiX" wrote in message
My house is very hot, especially upstairs. Even with the windows open
and a fan blowing it gets hot as the fans just blow the heat round and
round the room. What's needed is somewhere for the heat to go.

I was thinking, could I fit small unducted extractor fans in the
upstairs ceilings such that they blow the heat directly into the loft?
Cooler air would then be drawn in via the windows making the room
cooler.

Is there any problem with blowing air directly into the loft in this
way? Would it cool the upstairs rooms or make additional problems?

The hole into the loft space would allow warm moist air to enter in winter
creating condensation up there. Try doubling the insulation up there using
Rockwool, aim for 250-300mm in total. This prevents heat from entering the
rooms below from the baking hot loft. It also keeps heat in, in winter.
Then any heat gain in the upstairs rooms will be taken away via through flow
ventilation from the windows.

My loft has heavy insulation and the upstairs rooms are far cooler than the
neighbours as a result. last August the were uncomfortable at night, while
were just right.

sPoNiX

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 13:44:56 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

The rule in our house when it's hot (as it is today) is to close all
curtains on the south side and open doors to allow any moving air to get
around.

It works.

We already do that..we also have blackout blinds that we use to
prevent the sunlight getting in but it's still too hot. Fans simply
circulate the hot air in the room..what I recon we need is a through
draft.

I have just spotted these American things:
http://www.quietcoolfan.com/ look towards the bottom of the page and
they seem to vent directly into the loft!

Will there be any problems venting fans directly into a UK loft? I'm
thinking maybe one of those bathroom extractors in each bedroom to
suck the hot air into the loft.

sPoNiX
The Natural Philosopher

sPoNiX wrote:

My house is very hot, especially upstairs. Even with the windows open
and a fan blowing it gets hot as the fans just blow the heat round and
round the room. What's needed is somewhere for the heat to go.

I was thinking, could I fit small unducted extractor fans in the
upstairs ceilings such that they blow the heat directly into the loft?
Cooler air would then be drawn in via the windows making the room
cooler.

Is there any problem with blowing air directly into the loft in this
way? Would it cool the upstairs rooms or make additional problems?

sPoNiX

First off you should insulate the upstairs ceilings better. This reduces
heat uptake from the roof space.

Secondly, yes, if you can find a source of cooler air, suck out the hot
and dump it wherever it will leak away - be careful though - if the roof
is already hot, pumping hot air into it isn't going to cool the room if
the insulation between roof and room is so much garbage.

better to arrange an exhaust pipe outside somewhere.

sPoNiX

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 13:55:42 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

First off you should insulate the upstairs ceilings better. This reduces
heat uptake from the roof space.

I hadn't thought that some of the heat could be radiating through the
ceiling. I shall take some measurements and see if it's a problem

sPoNIX
sPoNiX

wrote:

First off you should insulate the upstairs ceilings better. This reduces
heat uptake from the roof space.

Hmmmm:http://jambalaya.bayswaterfarm.com/archives/000026.html

"a hefty dose of loft insulation will keep warmth in during summer as
well as winter"
IMM

wrote:

First off you should insulate the upstairs ceilings better. This reduces
heat uptake from the roof space.

Hmmmm:http://jambalaya.bayswaterfarm.com/archives/000026.html

"a hefty dose of loft insulation will keep warmth in during summer as
well as winter"

If you ventilate it will take the warmth out of the rooms in summer.

nightjar

"sPoNiX" wrote in message
My house is very hot, especially upstairs.

That is, of course, why traditional houses in hot countries tend to be
single storey.

Even with the windows open
and a fan blowing it gets hot as the fans just blow the heat round and
round the room. What's needed is somewhere for the heat to go.

I was thinking, could I fit small unducted extractor fans in the
upstairs ceilings such that they blow the heat directly into the loft?
Cooler air would then be drawn in via the windows making the room
cooler.

Put whopping great extractor fans downstairs, to suck the hot air out before
it has time to rise upstairs and insulate the loft well, so that heat does
not permeate down from the roof.

If you simply want personal comfort, rather than an overall lowering of the
temperature, fit ceiling fans above your bed and wherever you usually sit.

Colin Bignell

Nick Brooks

Mary Fisher wrote:
"sPoNiX" wrote in message

My house is very hot, especially upstairs. Even with the windows open
and a fan blowing it gets hot as the fans just blow the heat round and
round the room. What's needed is somewhere for the heat to go.

I was thinking, could I fit small unducted extractor fans in the
upstairs ceilings such that they blow the heat directly into the loft?
Cooler air would then be drawn in via the windows making the room
cooler.

Is there any problem with blowing air directly into the loft in this
way? Would it cool the upstairs rooms or make additional problems?

sPoNiX

The rule in our house when it's hot (as it is today) is to close all
curtains on the south side and open doors to allow any moving air to get
around.

It works.

Mary

We find it effective to open doors/windows on the north side of the
house at ground level and the on south side of the house on upper
floors. Draughts then tend to flow through the house bringing in cooler
air and expelling the hotter stuff.

Nick Broks

Dave Liquorice

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 12:52:50 GMT, sPoNiX wrote:

Fans simply circulate the hot air in the room.

Are these small high speed jobbies or a ceiling fan? Ceiling fans are
very effective at keeping rooms comfortable, they set up a a gentle
circulation through the entire room not just a little bit of it at
high speed.

what I recon we need is a through draft.

Well that will bring the warm air from outside in, modern houses have
very low thermal mass and are almost hermetically sealed. There is no
where for the heat from appliances or the occupants to go. This place
just about made 25C inside last August when it was in the low 30's
outside. Generally it hovers around 21/22C in the summer. Thats the
effect of thick solid stone walls that soak up lots of heat (and also
release it in the winter) what you mustn't do it let the place cool
down otherwise it takes several days to become comfortable again.

Will there be any problems venting fans directly into a UK loft?

Probably not during the warm spell but I'd be worried about
condensation either in the wee small hours or during the cooler
periods of the year. Far better to dump the warm (damp) air outside
and draw air in from low down on the north side.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Mary Fisher

"Nick Brooks" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"sPoNiX" wrote in message

[...]

Good idea, same principle though - ventilation. Free :-)

Mary

Nick Broks

Andrew Gabriel

In article om,
"Dave Liquorice" writes:
On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 12:52:50 GMT, sPoNiX wrote:

Fans simply circulate the hot air in the room.

Are these small high speed jobbies or a ceiling fan? Ceiling fans are
very effective at keeping rooms comfortable, they set up a a gentle
circulation through the entire room not just a little bit of it at
high speed.

Ceiling fans raise the air temperature around you, but cool you. See...
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...net.uk.sun.com

--
Andrew Gabriel
G&M

"sPoNiX" wrote in message
My house is very hot, especially upstairs. Even with the windows open
and a fan blowing it gets hot as the fans just blow the heat round and
round the room. What's needed is somewhere for the heat to go.

I was thinking, could I fit small unducted extractor fans in the
upstairs ceilings such that they blow the heat directly into the loft?
Cooler air would then be drawn in via the windows making the room
cooler.

Is there any problem with blowing air directly into the loft in this
way? Would it cool the upstairs rooms or make additional problems?

Don't put the air in the loft. It could be very humid given the current
high temperatures and cause condensation in the loft. Vent it directly
outside via the eaves using flexible or fixed pipeing as designed for these
fans anyway in bathroom applications.

IMM

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 12:52:50 GMT, sPoNiX wrote:

Fans simply circulate the hot air in the room.

Are these small high speed jobbies or a ceiling fan? Ceiling fans are
very effective at keeping rooms comfortable, they set up a a gentle
circulation through the entire room not just a little bit of it at
high speed.

what I recon we need is a through draft.

Well that will bring the warm air from outside in, modern houses have
very low thermal mass and are almost hermetically sealed.

They are? Er, no they are not. 40% of heat loss in modern homes is via air
leaks.

There is no
where for the heat from appliances or the occupants to go. This place
just about made 25C inside last August when it was in the low 30's
outside. Generally it hovers around 21/22C in the summer. Thats the
effect of thick solid stone walls that soak up lots of heat (and also
release it in the winter)

An interpersonal sore in the walls?

what you mustn't do it let the place cool
down otherwise it takes several days
to become comfortable again.

In short the heat is stored in the walls. The heat that enters the walls
you paid for.

Will there be any problems venting fans directly into a UK loft?

Probably not during the warm spell but I'd be worried about
condensation either in the wee small hours or during the cooler
periods of the year. Far better to dump the warm (damp) air outside
and draw air in from low down on the north side.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Andy Wade

"IMM" wrote in message

An interpersonal sore in the walls?

Pardon?

--
Andy

T i m

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 23:17:48 +0100, Graham Wilson
wrote:

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 12:41:17 GMT, (sPoNiX) wrote:

My house is very hot, especially upstairs. Even with the windows open
and a fan blowing it gets hot as the fans just blow the heat round and
round the room. What's needed is somewhere for the heat to go.

I purchased a an air conditioning unit from B&Q. It is an Amcor 12,000
BTU unit with a tumble-dryer type pipe that you shove out of an open
door or window.

We got ours from Homebase a few years ago and is one of the ones with
a real external heat exchanger. I 'fitted' it in the (unused) middle
bedroom (of our 3 bed 1897 (end of) terraced house) with the heat
exchanger on the colder North facing wall.

It also can turn that one room into a fridge pretty quickly or make
the whole top floor very cold over a couple of hours (we did an
experiment with the upstairs doors left open and polythene across the
landing etc). So 'nice' infact you don't want to go back into the rest
of the house!

My next 'experiment' would be to knock a couple of holes through
between our bedroom and the middle bedroom (one high, one low and a
brick sized) with adjustable vents over the top with the thought that
the cold air will flow into our room while the hot air will go back
into the middle room to be cooled (this could be fan assisted if
needed). If it worked out then we might also extend it to the back
(box) room for our daughter but possibly using some rectangular
trunking under the ceiling over to above her bed as it's built up onto
the wall!

The unit is pretty quiet anyway and we were able to sleep easily when
we did the open door experiment.

We also have the large ceiling fans that that work pretty well and are
very quiet on 'slow'.

T i m
sPoNiX

wrote:

I purchased a an air conditioning unit from B&Q. It is an Amcor 12,000
BTU unit with a tumble-dryer type pipe that you shove out of an open
door or window.

The unit was on and running today. It turned the room into a fridge.

Superb unit. About £300 though - so not cheap.

However, it is noisy. You couldn't sleep with it on.

We have one but it only does one room. Also, it's a bit of a problem
knowing what to do with the duct.

sPoNiX
Andrew

wrote:

First off you should insulate the upstairs ceilings better. This reduces
heat uptake from the roof space.

Hmmmm:
http://jambalaya.bayswaterfarm.com/archives/000026.html

"a hefty dose of loft insulation will keep warmth in during summer as
well as winter"

That's the problem with sweeping generalisations, without explanation
or consideration of individual factors.

See for yourself by measuring the temperature in your loft. If it's
hotter than the rooms below then the heat can only go one way - down.
Extra insulation will stop that. If the loft is cooler then more
insulation will keep the heat in the rooms. I suspect your loft will
be warmer and more insulation will be a good thing.

MBQ

IMM

"Andrew" wrote in message
om...

wrote:

First off you should insulate the upstairs ceilings better. This

reduces
heat uptake from the roof space.

Hmmmm:
http://jambalaya.bayswaterfarm.com/archives/000026.html

"a hefty dose of loft insulation will keep warmth in during summer as
well as winter"

That's the problem with sweeping generalisations, without explanation
or consideration of individual factors.

See for yourself by measuring the temperature in your loft. If it's
hotter than the rooms below then the heat can only go one way - down.
Extra insulation will stop that. If the loft is cooler then more
insulation will keep the heat in the rooms. I suspect your loft will
be warmer and more insulation will be a good thing.

In the USA in some states it is common to have a large fan on the gable end
of the loft. This extracts all the hot air inside cooling the loft. They
also use it to extract heavy moisture laden air to prevent condensation.
Tests have proved that heavy insulation and a vapour barrier is best as the
running cost, not mention the installation cost, of the fan is not worth it.

Tony Bryer

In article , Huge wrote:
So common, in fact, that in some 27 years of regular visits to the US, I've
never seen one.

Google gives 16,400 hits on "attic fan"

As this is a d-i-y group:

http://www.easy2diy.com/cm/easy/diy_...ge_id=35693815

gives you instructions

IMM

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
In article , Huge wrote:

So common, in fact, that in some 27 years
of regular visits to the US, I've
never seen one.

Being in a boozy haze he would not see one. 27 years of visiting Mickey
Mouse each time. My oh my!

Google gives 16,400 hits on "attic fan"

As this is a d-i-y group:

http://www.easy2diy.com/cm/easy/diy_...ge_id=35693815

gives you instructions

Graham Wilson

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 15:29:12 +0100, "nightjar"
wrote:

I have a two unit portable air conditioner.

Two Unit?

Graham

Graham Wilson

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 10:10:21 +0100, T i m wrote:

We got ours from Homebase a few years ago and is one of the ones with
a real external heat exchanger. I 'fitted' it in the (unused) middle
bedroom (of our 3 bed 1897 (end of) terraced house) with the heat
exchanger on the colder North facing wall.

How do you mean by external heat exchanger?

You say you fitted the exchanger on the north facing wall. Do you mean
you fitted through the wall?

Wickes used to do a Phillips air conditioning unit a few years ago
that was designed for a conservatory. The idea was that you made a
square hole through the wall of the conservatory about 18 inches wide
and about 12 inches high. The unit sat half inside and half outside.
It was bolted onto a frame to prevent someone from sliding it out and
entering the property through the hole.

Graham