IMM

Default Cooling a house

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 12:52:50 GMT, sPoNiX wrote:

Fans simply circulate the hot air in the room.

Are these small high speed jobbies or a ceiling fan? Ceiling fans are
very effective at keeping rooms comfortable, they set up a a gentle
circulation through the entire room not just a little bit of it at
high speed.

what I recon we need is a through draft.

Well that will bring the warm air from outside in, modern houses have
very low thermal mass and are almost hermetically sealed.

They are? Er, no they are not. 40% of heat loss in modern homes is via air
leaks.

There is no
where for the heat from appliances or the occupants to go. This place
just about made 25C inside last August when it was in the low 30's
outside. Generally it hovers around 21/22C in the summer. Thats the
effect of thick solid stone walls that soak up lots of heat (and also
release it in the winter)

An interpersonal sore in the walls?

what you mustn't do it let the place cool
down otherwise it takes several days
to become comfortable again.

In short the heat is stored in the walls. The heat that enters the walls
you paid for.

Will there be any problems venting fans directly into a UK loft?

Probably not during the warm spell but I'd be worried about
condensation either in the wee small hours or during the cooler
periods of the year. Far better to dump the warm (damp) air outside
and draw air in from low down on the north side.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail