Mary Fisher

Default Cooling a house

"Nick Brooks" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"sPoNiX" wrote in message

My house is very hot, especially upstairs. Even with the windows open
and a fan blowing it gets hot as the fans just blow the heat round and
round the room. What's needed is somewhere for the heat to go.

I was thinking, could I fit small unducted extractor fans in the
upstairs ceilings such that they blow the heat directly into the loft?
Cooler air would then be drawn in via the windows making the room
cooler.

Is there any problem with blowing air directly into the loft in this
way? Would it cool the upstairs rooms or make additional problems?

sPoNiX

The rule in our house when it's hot (as it is today) is to close all
curtains on the south side and open doors to allow any moving air to get
around.

It works.

Mary

We find it effective to open doors/windows on the north side of the
house at ground level and the on south side of the house on upper
floors. Draughts then tend to flow through the house bringing in cooler
air and expelling the hotter stuff.

Good idea, same principle though - ventilation. Free :-)

Mary

Nick Broks