T i m

Default Cooling a house

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 23:17:48 +0100, Graham Wilson
wrote:

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 12:41:17 GMT, (sPoNiX) wrote:

My house is very hot, especially upstairs. Even with the windows open
and a fan blowing it gets hot as the fans just blow the heat round and
round the room. What's needed is somewhere for the heat to go.

I purchased a an air conditioning unit from B&Q. It is an Amcor 12,000
BTU unit with a tumble-dryer type pipe that you shove out of an open
door or window.

We got ours from Homebase a few years ago and is one of the ones with
a real external heat exchanger. I 'fitted' it in the (unused) middle
bedroom (of our 3 bed 1897 (end of) terraced house) with the heat
exchanger on the colder North facing wall.

It also can turn that one room into a fridge pretty quickly or make
the whole top floor very cold over a couple of hours (we did an
experiment with the upstairs doors left open and polythene across the
landing etc). So 'nice' infact you don't want to go back into the rest
of the house!

My next 'experiment' would be to knock a couple of holes through
between our bedroom and the middle bedroom (one high, one low and a
brick sized) with adjustable vents over the top with the thought that
the cold air will flow into our room while the hot air will go back
into the middle room to be cooled (this could be fan assisted if
needed). If it worked out then we might also extend it to the back
(box) room for our daughter but possibly using some rectangular
trunking under the ceiling over to above her bed as it's built up onto
the wall!

The unit is pretty quiet anyway and we were able to sleep easily when
we did the open door experiment.

We also have the large ceiling fans that that work pretty well and are
very quiet on 'slow'.

T i m