Mary Fisher

Default Cooling a house

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On 9 Jun 2004 15:12:36 -0700, (N. Thornton) wrote:

Hmm. Quite an apt term really. Perpetual motion.

:-)

Mary

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

nightjar

"Graham Wilson" wrote in message
On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 15:29:12 +0100, "nightjar"
wrote:

I have a two unit portable air conditioner.

Two Unit?

An air handling unit indoors and a heat exchanger unit outdoors. They are
joined by a 3m self-sealing umbilical that will go through a 50mm hole,
although I usually just stick it through a partly-opened window.

Colin Bignell

dave @ stejonda

In message , Andy Hall
writes
Well IMM does it in every thread related to a heating or energy issue
so it must be possible, just like perpetual motion.

Hmm. Quite an apt term really. Perpetual motion.

I'll fetch his commode.

--
dave @ stejonda

Bring Performance Channel back to NTL.
http://www.performance-channel.com/
Ring 0800 052 2000

Ric

"Graham Wilson" wrote in message
On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 10:10:21 +0100, T i m wrote:

We got ours from Homebase a few years ago and is one of the ones with
a real external heat exchanger. I 'fitted' it in the (unused) middle
bedroom (of our 3 bed 1897 (end of) terraced house) with the heat
exchanger on the colder North facing wall.

How do you mean by external heat exchanger?

They are two physically seperate units. The heat exchanger is attached to
the wall on the outside of the house and the inside unit is put in the
required room. The two units are then connected by piping which goes
through the wall. This means that only a very small hole is needed in the
wall.

You say you fitted the exchanger on the north facing wall. Do you mean
you fitted through the wall?

Wickes used to do a Phillips air conditioning unit a few years ago
that was designed for a conservatory. The idea was that you made a
square hole through the wall of the conservatory about 18 inches wide
and about 12 inches high. The unit sat half inside and half outside.
It was bolted onto a frame to prevent someone from sliding it out and
entering the property through the hole.

Graham

Graham Wilson

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 23:42:09 +0100, "nightjar"
wrote:

An air handling unit indoors and a heat exchanger unit outdoors. They are
joined by a 3m self-sealing umbilical that will go through a 50mm hole,
although I usually just stick it through a partly-opened window.

Does the heat exchanger unit outdoors have a fan to pull air through
the unit?

Graham

dave @ stejonda

In message , Graham Wilson
writes
wrote:

An air handling unit indoors and a heat exchanger unit outdoors. They are
joined by a 3m self-sealing umbilical that will go through a 50mm hole,
although I usually just stick it through a partly-opened window.

Does the heat exchanger unit outdoors have a fan to pull air through
the unit?

Yes

--
dave @ stejonda

Bring culture back to NTL.
http://www.performance-channel.com/
Ring 0800 052 2000

nightjar

wrote:

An air handling unit indoors and a heat exchanger unit outdoors. They are
joined by a 3m self-sealing umbilical that will go through a 50mm hole,
although I usually just stick it through a partly-opened window.

Does the heat exchanger unit outdoors have a fan to pull air through
the unit?

Yes. It is powered and controlled by the indoor unit, through an electrical
connection in the umbilical. The umbilical also circulates the heat transfer
fluid between the two units. It works in exactly the same way as a fixed air
conditioning system, except that I can move it from room to room. It is more
expensive to buy this type of air conditioning (ISTR it was about £700
second hand), but it is much more effective than the single unit systems.

Colin Bignell