Default Mattress fault: 4 weeks to replacement!

[Slightly OT: we need a uk.home-furnishings news group!]

Just moved into a new house. On Saturday, I took delivery of a new
divan bed + mattress from one of the big UK suppliers.

On unpacking the bed,I found a spring sticking out of a corner of the
mattress fabric. I had to tape this area over for safety reasons. As
the spring did not stick out of the sleeping area, I was able to sleep
on the bed at the weekend.

This morning, Monday, I contacted the suppliers and asked for a
replacement. They were happy to do this but quoted a lead time of 4
weeks until delivery of a replacement mattress.

I was unhappy with this -- 4 weeks with a faulty and potentially
dangerous product.

The bed suppliers were unable to either speed up the led time or offer
me any price reduction for inconvenience caused whilst I wait 4 weeks
for a replacement mattress.

The bed suppliers have got my money up front (debit card). I feel my
only option is to cancel the order ASAP. Unfortunately that will leave
me sleeping on the sofa...

Any ideas?

Bruce

Andy Hall

On 10 Jan 2005 07:42:56 -0800, wrote:

[Slightly OT: we need a uk.home-furnishings news group!]

Just moved into a new house. On Saturday, I took delivery of a new
divan bed + mattress from one of the big UK suppliers.

Not Courts was it?

On unpacking the bed,I found a spring sticking out of a corner of the
mattress fabric. I had to tape this area over for safety reasons. As
the spring did not stick out of the sleeping area, I was able to sleep
on the bed at the weekend.

This morning, Monday, I contacted the suppliers and asked for a
replacement. They were happy to do this but quoted a lead time of 4
weeks until delivery of a replacement mattress.

I was unhappy with this -- 4 weeks with a faulty and potentially
dangerous product.

The bed suppliers were unable to either speed up the led time or offer
me any price reduction for inconvenience caused whilst I wait 4 weeks
for a replacement mattress.

I would say that they are not trying very hard to address the problem
and have probably not taken the trouble to push on the factory to do
something.

You haven't mentioned the price, but was it low, medium or high end?

If you paid a lot for what should have been a good quality product,
then you have more reason to kick up a fuss, but I would kick up a
fuss anyway.

The bed suppliers have got my money up front (debit card).

This was a big mistake. I would have thought that people would have
learned this lesson from the Courts disaster. Always buy things like
this if they cost more than £100 using a credit card.

You could of course threaten legal action etc. The trouble is that
by the time the whole thing was processed, you would have your new
mattress.

I think that you have to decide what you want them to do.

One option would be to ask them to take it away and refund. They may
not, and would you get a replacement elsewhere more quickly?

Do you want them to lend you another mattress? Would you really want
to sleep on a secondhand one?

I think that I would be inclined to visit them during their busiest
time and push for better delivery. Get the name of the area manager
and his boss and write to both.

In practical, rather than consumer rights terms, that's probably about
it.

I feel my
only option is to cancel the order ASAP.

You could try but see above.

Unfortunately that will leave
me sleeping on the sofa...

Maybe an inflatable bed?

Any ideas?

Bruce

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
dmc

In article ,
Andy Dingley wrote:

Personally I prefer latex foam anyway, but they're admittedly not
cheap.

Hijacking the the thread somewhat here....

We are in the market for a new bed in the next couple of months - thought
we had decided on a half decent pocket sprung mattress but looking around
this latex foam seems to be the thing at the moment. Is it that good then?
Testing it in the shops it feels "odd" to me

Opinions? We are looking for king size bed and mattress for something like
6-9 hundred quid...

Darren

Owain

"Andy Hall" wrote
| You could of course threaten legal action etc. The trouble is that
| by the time the whole thing was processed, you would have your
| new mattress. ...
| One option would be to ask them to take it away and refund. They
| may not, and would you get a replacement elsewhere more quickly?

There must be places that *stock* mattresses, even if not of equivalent
quality. Argos have *one* single cheap one at £50 they will deliver 'usually
in 48 hours'

Owain

Bob Eager

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 22:06:04 UTC, Andy Dingley
wrote:

Foam For Comfort, Foam Direct and SafeFoam are some of the better
known suppliers. I think mine came from FFC and was around 800 for a
non-standard large king size.

I'm making chairs this week
http://codesmiths.com/shed/furniture/chairs/airchair/chair2.htm
and I'm just ordering the seat squabs. PU foam is coming in at a
tenner, latex foam at 20 and visco-elastic foam (like Tempur et al) is
about 40.

Funny you should say that. I'm after some foam, but the prices round
here are ruinous (or perhaps they're not, these days, what with
fireproofing etc.). I wanted 6ft by 2ft, 2 inches thick, I guess nothing
special for the actual foam, and was quoted 40 quid. Is that high, low
or just right?

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Capitol

Bob Eager wrote:
I wanted 6ft by 2ft, 2 inches thick, I guess nothing
special for the actual foam, and was quoted 40 quid. Is that high, low
or just right?

Should be about half that. For 6'6 x 6' x 2" medium density, I paid
£60 IIRC in Nov 04. N London. It was £400 IIRC for a standard 5' wide
Tempur(memory) 6" foam Mattress.

Regards
Capitol
Andy Dingley

On 10 Jan 2005 22:39:12 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

Funny you should say that. I'm after some foam, but the prices round
here are ruinous (or perhaps they're not, these days, what with
fireproofing etc.).

Foam isn't cheap. I don't know if it ever was - I thought it used to
be, but every time I've personally bought it I thought it was
surprisingly expensive.

I wanted 6ft by 2ft, 2 inches thick, I guess nothing
special for the actual foam, and was quoted 40 quid. Is that high, low
or just right?

B&M
http://www.bandmlatexupholstery.co.uk
£27 for cheap
£37 for premium or for chipfoam (chipfoam is the entry-level for seat
squabs)
£47 for Reflex (top-end PU foam)
£105 for pincored latex

FFC are £35 for basic PU, £67 for superior PU, £107 for latex
http://www.foamforcomfort.co.uk/ffcm.../superior.html

You can hunt around the mail order suppliers a lot, but IMHE there's
no difference in their core foam pricing. Their shipping varies, their
accessories vary, but any apparent difference in foam price turns out
to be due to an inherent quality variation. Vendor pricing
Andy Dingley

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 23:15:25 +0000, Capitol
wrote:

It was £400 IIRC for a standard 5' wide
Tempur(memory) 6" foam Mattress

Where did you get Tempur for that price ?

--
Smert' spamionam
Andy Dingley

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 21:24:32 -0000, "Owain"
wrote:

There must be places that *stock* mattresses,

Size.

John Rumm

dmc wrote:

Hijacking the the thread somewhat here....

We are in the market for a new bed in the next couple of months - thought
we had decided on a half decent pocket sprung mattress but looking around
this latex foam seems to be the thing at the moment. Is it that good then?
Testing it in the shops it feels "odd" to me

Personally I prefer latex, but if you are used to a sprung mattress then
it will feel "dead" since there is no real bounce to it.

Opinions? We are looking for king size bed and mattress for something like
6-9 hundred quid...

Latex has many advantages, placed on an open based(i.e. slats for
example) it will breathe better and allow moisture through (given that
we sweat something like a pint a night, that can add up!) No squeeks, or
boings in the night from springs either. Less roll together.

(I find you get a feeling of being able to sink into it more than being
"perched on top" like with a sprung one).

--
Cheers,

John.

Thanks,
Its a Slumberland 4ft 6in entry-level model. I would imagine they make
100's every week.
There seems to be no leeway in the supply-chain for quick replacement
of damaged goods.

Bruce

Andy Dingley

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 12:38:15 -0000, Rob Morley
wrote:

Your links to Ron Arad and the Rover Chair seem to be dead.

Thanks! Bloody designers - don't understand the importance of stable
URLs.
Capitol

Try this link:-

http://www.expressfoam.co.uk/

Prices IME are more flexible if you collect.

Regards
Capitol