Jeremy Robbins

Default New Construction vs Replacement Windows?

I have a contractor who has offered to install replacement windows,
but in a way I am not familiar with. He is proposing to remove the
brick molding and interior molding and cut through the existing nail
flange with a sawzall. The replacement window will then be installed
with screws through the sides in the rough window opening, not the
window frame like a normal replacement window. Is this a good idea?
Should I tell him we want new constuction windows without the nailing
fin instead of a replacement window? Can you put a new construction
window with the frame in without messing with the siding?
Thanks for any help!
I am so confused by the numerous contractors I have talked too, one
says replacement bad, use new, another says use sash replacements.
tex
Fogbank

(Jeremy Robbins) wrote in message . com...
I have a contractor who has offered to install replacement windows,
but in a way I am not familiar with. He is proposing to remove the
brick molding and interior molding and cut through the existing nail
flange with a sawzall. The replacement window will then be installed
with screws through the sides in the rough window opening, not the
window frame like a normal replacement window. Is this a good idea?
Should I tell him we want new constuction windows without the nailing
fin instead of a replacement window? Can you put a new construction
window with the frame in without messing with the siding?
Thanks for any help!
I am so confused by the numerous contractors I have talked too, one
says replacement bad, use new, another says use sash replacements.
tex

I had the same problem. In my old home i wanted to get rid of the
windows as they were paper thin. I was afraid of new construction
windows as there would be inside plaster damage and damage to the
mouldings (120+ year old and can't match). What i got and assume your
are talking about is an insert. i did 1 test window in my bathroom. It
worked out perfectly, is sound and did not reduce the size of my
window - a hell of a lot cheaper too. only concern in the age of the
home is that there is 0 insulation around the windows as the moulding
was not removed. What I will now do for the remaining 30 windows is
work along with the installer boring holes in the frames and laying in
foam. By the way - the outside of the home was not touched in the
process.
Johnston

"Jeremy Robbins" wrote
I have a contractor who has offered to install replacement windows,
but in a way I am not familiar with. He is proposing to remove the
brick molding and interior molding and cut through the existing nail
flange with a sawzall. The replacement window will then be installed
with screws through the sides in the rough window opening, not the
window frame like a normal replacement window. Is this a good idea?
Should I tell him we want new constuction windows without the nailing
fin instead of a replacement window? Can you put a new construction
window with the frame in without messing with the siding?
Thanks for any help!
I am so confused by the numerous contractors I have talked too, one
says replacement bad, use new, another says use sash replacements.
tex

I'm a bit perplexed by your description of how the existing windows are
installed. Usually a window with brick mold is installed by fastening
through the brick mold. They do not have a flange as I know the flange
type. Windows with a flange, usually do not have brick mold. I've never
seen windows with both, doesn't mean they don't exist but you wouldn't need
the flange if you have brick mold.

Jeremy Robbins

"Johnston" wrote in message ...
"Jeremy Robbins" wrote
[...]

You could totally be right, I just assumed that all windows had some
sort of molding around them and I was calling it brick molding. I
really need to take one apart and look at it. Thanks for the info!