Andy Hall

On 10 Jan 2005 07:42:56 -0800, wrote:

[Slightly OT: we need a uk.home-furnishings news group!]

Just moved into a new house. On Saturday, I took delivery of a new
divan bed + mattress from one of the big UK suppliers.

Not Courts was it?

On unpacking the bed,I found a spring sticking out of a corner of the
mattress fabric. I had to tape this area over for safety reasons. As
the spring did not stick out of the sleeping area, I was able to sleep
on the bed at the weekend.

This morning, Monday, I contacted the suppliers and asked for a
replacement. They were happy to do this but quoted a lead time of 4
weeks until delivery of a replacement mattress.

I was unhappy with this -- 4 weeks with a faulty and potentially
dangerous product.

The bed suppliers were unable to either speed up the led time or offer
me any price reduction for inconvenience caused whilst I wait 4 weeks
for a replacement mattress.

I would say that they are not trying very hard to address the problem
and have probably not taken the trouble to push on the factory to do
something.

You haven't mentioned the price, but was it low, medium or high end?

If you paid a lot for what should have been a good quality product,
then you have more reason to kick up a fuss, but I would kick up a
fuss anyway.

The bed suppliers have got my money up front (debit card).

This was a big mistake. I would have thought that people would have
learned this lesson from the Courts disaster. Always buy things like
this if they cost more than £100 using a credit card.

You could of course threaten legal action etc. The trouble is that
by the time the whole thing was processed, you would have your new
mattress.

I think that you have to decide what you want them to do.

One option would be to ask them to take it away and refund. They may
not, and would you get a replacement elsewhere more quickly?

Do you want them to lend you another mattress? Would you really want
to sleep on a secondhand one?

I think that I would be inclined to visit them during their busiest
time and push for better delivery. Get the name of the area manager
and his boss and write to both.

In practical, rather than consumer rights terms, that's probably about
it.

I feel my
only option is to cancel the order ASAP.

You could try but see above.

Unfortunately that will leave
me sleeping on the sofa...

Maybe an inflatable bed?