mlv

Default A Decent Screw!

Does anyone know where I can buy some traditional #12 x 2.1/2" zinc-plated
steel c/sunk woodscrews?

Everyone (and I do mean everyone) seems to only stock these fancy hardened,
twin-threaded, gold-plated, reduced shank, pozi-headed, etc. screws that may
be just wonderful for screwing into wood, but are (IMHO) quite inadequate
when used with plastic wallplugs. They simply don't give the firm, reliable
grip of the traditional woodscrew and seem rather prone to ripping the
centre out of the wallplug.

I've tried all the obvious suppliers without success and I guess I now need
to find an old-fashioned hardware shop that still closes on a Wednesday
afternoon.

Brass and stainless steel c/sunk woodscrews still come in the traditional
design, but brass would be too likely to shear off and I can't source any
#12 x 2.1/2" in stainless steel.

I only need 20 of them!

Thanks
--
Mike
-Please remove 'safetycatch' from e-mail address before firing off your

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"mlv" writes:
I've tried all the obvious suppliers without success and I guess I now need
to find an old-fashioned hardware shop that still closes on a Wednesday
afternoon.

If you're anywhere near Fleet, Hampshire, then Bakers in the main
shopping road (Fleet Road) is one of the few left. Just don't come
on a Wednesday afternoon (and I'm not joking;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel

mlv wrote:
Does anyone know where I can buy some traditional #12 x 2.1/2" zinc-plated
steel c/sunk woodscrews?

Everyone (and I do mean everyone) seems to only stock these fancy hardened,
twin-threaded, gold-plated, reduced shank, pozi-headed, etc. screws that may
be just wonderful for screwing into wood, but are (IMHO) quite inadequate
when used with plastic wallplugs. They simply don't give the firm, reliable
grip of the traditional woodscrew and seem rather prone to ripping the
centre out of the wallplug.

I've got hundreds of ScrewFix Goldscrews and Turbogold screws (both of
the type you seem to dislike) in plastic plugs all around my house and
my experience is that they seem to stay in better than old fashioned
tapered screws.

I find that I tend to use slightly smaller drills than recommended for
the plugs and slightly smaller plugs than most other people seem to
use. I now use far more yellow plugs than red and rarely use the
bigger ones at all.

I drill 4.5mm holes for yellow plugs, sometimes you can get away with
4mm, it depends on the type of wall you're drilling into. The plugs
should be easy to just tap into the hole.

I then use 3.5mm or 4mm screws in the yellow plugs and, as I said,
have had no problems at all with their security.

I really can't imagine what I'd want to fix with big plastic plugs.

Even one of those monitor shelves on a flexible arm is only fixed with
red plugs and 5mm screws and seems perfectly sound even with a
heavyish monitor on it.

--
Chris Green
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
mlv wrote:
Everyone (and I do mean everyone) seems to only stock these fancy
hardened, twin-threaded, gold-plated, reduced shank, pozi-headed, etc.
screws that may be just wonderful for screwing into wood, but are (IMHO)
quite inadequate when used with plastic wallplugs. They simply don't
give the firm, reliable grip of the traditional woodscrew and seem
rather prone to ripping the centre out of the wallplug.

Then you're using the wrong wall plugs, or wrong sized drill.

--
*There are two sides to every divorce: Yours and **** head's*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Christian McArdle

Even one of those monitor shelves on a flexible arm is only fixed with
red plugs and 5mm screws and seems perfectly sound even with a
heavyish monitor on it.

I use 5mm or 6mm screws into brown plugs myself, drilled with a 6.5mm SDS
bit. The yellow plugs scare me for anothing bigger than holding up a paper
calendar. If I'm doing anything heavy, like kitchen cupboards, then I go for
the full rawlbolt.

Why do you go for the smaller rawlplugs? It's not like screws or plugs are
expensive.

Christian.

Lobster

wrote in message ...
mlv wrote:
I find that I tend to use slightly smaller drills than recommended for
the plugs and slightly smaller plugs than most other people seem to
use. I now use far more yellow plugs than red and rarely use the
bigger ones at all.

I drill 4.5mm holes for yellow plugs, sometimes you can get away with
4mm, it depends on the type of wall you're drilling into. The plugs
should be easy to just tap into the hole.

I then use 3.5mm or 4mm screws in the yellow plugs and, as I said,
have had no problems at all with their security.

I really can't imagine what I'd want to fix with big plastic plugs.

I'm guessing you live in a modern house with solid brickwork and maybe
sand-cement render on the internal walls?!

I hardly ever use yellow plugs, simply because they aren't deep enough to
get through the half-inch layer of powdery plaster which was applied about a
century ago, and wouldn't take any sort of weight whatsoever.

David

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Andy Hall writes:

Do they have one of those systems with wires across the ceiling with
little pots carrying the money to the cashier?

No -- there's too much merchandise hanging from the ceiling
for one of those to work.

I haven't seen one for years. When I was a kid, all the shoe shops
had them.

The V&A had a moch-up of a shop some years back, probably based
on 1920's, with a working one of these. Pull a cord, and the
cannister was pinged across the ceiling on a cable.
As a kid, I recall a number of the stores in Reading using
vacuum tubes with cylindrical canisters, which took your
money to the cashier, and returned the change. Modern versions
of these are still used in supermarkets and the like for carrying
excess cash back from the tills, but not for individual customer
transactions.

--
Andrew Gabriel

mlv

Dave Plowman wrote:

Then you're using the wrong wall plugs, or wrong sized drill.

I'm mounting some (very) heavy duty TV wall brackets. The screws and plugs
came with the brackets, as did the drilling/fixing instructions.

The wallplugs were those awful flimsy grey things, mostly hollow and with
little sticky-out prongs. Internal walls are breeze (clinker) block with
cement render.

My initial instinct (which I should have followed) was to bin the grey
wallplugs and use the superior brown Unifix plugs. However, I decided to
use the supplied plugs and screws. The holes were drilled exactly as
instructed and the screws where tightened........... well that's the
problem, they never actually achieved tight.

Certainly, if I had drilled a hole smaller than was specified and hammered
the plugs home, then the screws would have gripped better.

Much better however, would be to use a system I know works well: Unifix
plastic wallplugs and traditional woodscrews.
--
Mike
-Please remove 'safetycatch' from e-mail address before firing off your
reply-

Owain

"Andy Hall" wrote
| Andrew Gabriel wrote:
| Do they have one of those systems with wires across the ceiling
| with little pots carrying the money to the cashier?
| No -- there's too much merchandise hanging from the ceiling
| for one of those to work.
| I haven't seen one for years. When I was a kid, all the shoe
| shops had them.

I can remember the shoe shop used when I was little having a cuckoo-clock,
which fascinated me greatly and meant that shoe-buying trips had to be
synchronised to the hour :-)

| They do add up the cost of the items
| using paper and pencil though -- I can't recall there being a
| till in the shop, or at least if there is, it isn't used for
| adding up the totals.

They'll have problems recruiting staff under 40 with that skill. I expect
they have to convert to decimal every time they find a really old box of
something in t'back still priced at £4 19s 6d. (Paying cash sir? We'll drop
the odd farthing then.)

Owain

Christian McArdle

I'm mounting some (very) heavy duty TV wall brackets. The screws and
plugs
came with the brackets, as did the drilling/fixing instructions.

I don't think I have ever used screws and plugs that came with something.
They are almost by definition, utterly unusable.

Much better however, would be to use a system I know works well: Unifix
plastic wallplugs and traditional woodscrews.

Indeed, but you can use moderns screws, too. The failure in the supplied
parts was because they were bought by the manufacturer for 0.0000000001p and
they got what they paid for.

Christian.

John Flax

I remember those wire things when I was young and think I saw one at the
Welsh Folk Museum, St Fagans, near Cardiff. It's a fabulous day out for old
fogies and their grandchildren. The Museum of Welsh Life is located 4 miles
west of Cardiff City Centre, just off the A4232. Signposted from junction 33
of the M4 motorway, with direct access from the A4232.

Although there is plenty to see indoors it would be better to save it for
next year.

Admission: Free!

Have a look at the museum's website on: http://www.nmgw.ac.uk/mwl/

Christian McArdle wrote:
Even one of those monitor shelves on a flexible arm is only fixed with
red plugs and 5mm screws and seems perfectly sound even with a
heavyish monitor on it.

I use 5mm or 6mm screws into brown plugs myself, drilled with a 6.5mm SDS
bit. The yellow plugs scare me for anothing bigger than holding up a paper
calendar. If I'm doing anything heavy, like kitchen cupboards, then I go for
the full rawlbolt.

Why do you go for the smaller rawlplugs? It's not like screws or plugs are
expensive.

Because almost everything I fix uses 3.5 or 4mm screws and these hold
best in 4mm plugs in my experience. You can hang a heck of a lot of
weight on just a single 4mm screw. A quick calculation suggests
that a 4mm screw's tensile breaking strain will be almost a ton
(probably more than a ton if it's stronger than mild steel), so the
screw isn't going to break with any remotely normal load on it. I
find that yellow plugs with 4mm screws are just about immovable.

--
Chris Green

Lobster wrote:

I then use 3.5mm or 4mm screws in the yellow plugs and, as I said,
have had no problems at all with their security.

I really can't imagine what I'd want to fix with big plastic plugs.

I'm guessing you live in a modern house with solid brickwork and maybe
sand-cement render on the internal walls?!

I hardly ever use yellow plugs, simply because they aren't deep enough to
get through the half-inch layer of powdery plaster which was applied about a
century ago, and wouldn't take any sort of weight whatsoever.

Well push them further in then! There's no requirement that the plug
has to be flush with the surface. Or you can put two plugs in if
using really long screws.

My 'standard' screw tends to to a 4 x 40mm, that's pretty similar to
an 8 x 1.5" but a bit longer. If there's half an inch of plaster then
a yellow plug will nestle neatly down below the plaster.

As it happens my house was built in the 1920s.

--
Chris Green

mlv wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

Then you're using the wrong wall plugs, or wrong sized drill.

I'm mounting some (very) heavy duty TV wall brackets. The screws and plugs
came with the brackets, as did the drilling/fixing instructions.

I nearly always don't use the supplied screws and plugs. They are
often rather poor quality and too short.

The wallplugs were those awful flimsy grey things, mostly hollow and with
little sticky-out prongs. Internal walls are breeze (clinker) block with
cement render.

Ah, breeze block can be difficult. I'd just go for extra long 5mm
screws for this sort of weight on it.

Much better however, would be to use a system I know works well: Unifix
plastic wallplugs and traditional woodscrews.

I guess that's where we both are, we're familiar with a particular
pairing of wallplug and screw that works well. It makes sense to stay
using that and not to use plugs supplied simply because one will be
better at working with the familiar ones.

I have a big 'trade case' of TurbGold screws so I always have the
'right' screw for virtually any application. It cost £50 or so but
I've never regretted buying it, it saves so much time finding screws
for this job and that job over the years. I'm replacing ones that I
run out of with stainless steel ones now.

--
Chris Green
Mary Fisher

Andy Hall writes:

Do they have one of those systems with wires across the ceiling with
little pots carrying the money to the cashier?

No -- there's too much merchandise hanging from the ceiling
for one of those to work.

I haven't seen one for years. When I was a kid, all the shoe shops
had them.

The V&A had a moch-up of a shop some years back, probably based
on 1920's, with a working one of these. Pull a cord, and the
cannister was pinged across the ceiling on a cable.
As a kid, I recall a number of the stores in Reading using
vacuum tubes with cylindrical canisters, which took your
money to the cashier, and returned the change. Modern versions
of these are still used in supermarkets and the like for carrying
excess cash back from the tills, but not for individual customer
transactions.

At Hitchins department store in Leeds more than fifty years ago I was
fascinated by these. They worked on a suction/vacuum principle. Haven't seen
them since :-(

Mary

--
Andrew Gabriel

Mary Fisher

"John Flax" wrote in message
I remember those wire things when I was young and think I saw one at the
Welsh Folk Museum, St Fagans, near Cardiff. It's a fabulous day out for
old
fogies and their grandchildren. The Museum of Welsh Life is located 4
miles
west of Cardiff City Centre, just off the A4232. Signposted from junction
33
of the M4 motorway, with direct access from the A4232.

Although there is plenty to see indoors it would be better to save it for
next year.

Admission: Free!

It wasn't free when I went!

Worth seeing but you need more than one day to do it justice. Like the
Museum of Ulster Life (I think it's called).

Mary

Have a look at the museum's website on: http://www.nmgw.ac.uk/mwl/

Andy Hall

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 20:07:13 -0000, "Bob Smith \(UK\)"
bob@nospamplease wrote:

"Paul Mc Cann" wrote in message

...........and a machime to x-ray your feet

Never heard of that. Was that back in the days when radiation was good for
you?

Oh yes.

They were called a Pedoscope and it was part of the ritual in any
Clark's approved supplier of kid's shoes.

First the assistant measured the feet with a gauge (as today), then
try the shoes on, and finally stand under pedoscope to see the feet in
a fluorescent screen.

This is roughly what they looked like, although the picture is an
American model

http://www.orau.org/ptp/collection/s...fluor/shoe.htm

The ones that I can remember were a tall box with an aperture like the
one in the picture but with slots on the sides and top and system of
mirrors so that the kid could see in the top or front, assistant one
side and mum or dad on the other.

One reason that they disappeared is that you could also see if a shoe
had been badly made and several nails were missing or knocked in at
odd angles.

I reckon that they had disappeared by the early sixties.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Stefek Zaba

Andy Hall wrote:

They were called a Pedoscope and it was part of the ritual in any
Clark's approved supplier of kid's shoes.

[ ... ]

I reckon that they had disappeared by the early sixties.

Still in use Ooop Noorth (Wilmslow) in the later sixties - had my feet
done more than once with this brilliant (?) invention when a nipper,
can't have been earlier than 1967...

Stefek

Andy Hall

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 22:00:02 +0000, Stefek Zaba
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

They were called a Pedoscope and it was part of the ritual in any
Clark's approved supplier of kid's shoes.

[ ... ]

I reckon that they had disappeared by the early sixties.

Still in use Ooop Noorth (Wilmslow) in the later sixties - had my feet
done more than once with this brilliant (?) invention when a nipper,
can't have been earlier than 1967...

Stefek

Yebbut it's not really Ooop Noorth in the real sense is it?
Wilmslow is to Manchester as Solihull is to Birmingham - a sort of
island of the sophisticated south - kind of.

As somebody once said to me regarding things from the region - they're
made in Bolton, sold in Manchester and bragged about in Wilmslow. :-)

(Said he, fed up because the Times has turned exclusively tabloid this
week - don't know what the world's coming to. I was going to say
that they'll have tits on page 3 next, but with some of the articles
about our illustrious politicians, I think they already have...... ).

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Mary Fisher

wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

They were called a Pedoscope and it was part of the ritual in any
Clark's approved supplier of kid's shoes.

[ ... ]

I reckon that they had disappeared by the early sixties.

Still in use Ooop Noorth (Wilmslow) in the later sixties - had my feet
done more than once with this brilliant (?) invention when a nipper,
can't have been earlier than 1967...

Stefek

Yebbut it's not really Ooop Noorth in the real sense is it?
Wilmslow is to Manchester as Solihull is to Birmingham - a sort of
island of the sophisticated south - kind of.

It's north of the M25 which is what seems to matter these days.

It mattered even more in the 60s.

(Said he, fed up because the Times has turned exclusively tabloid this
week - don't know what the world's coming to. I was going to say
that they'll have tits on page 3 next, but with some of the articles
about our illustrious politicians, I think they already have...... ).

That's an insult to tits.

I gave up reading newspapers years ago.

Mary
Leeds

Steve

"Stefek Zaba" wrote in message
Andy Hall wrote:

They were called a Pedoscope and it was part of the ritual in any
Clark's approved supplier of kid's shoes.

[ ... ]

I reckon that they had disappeared by the early sixties.

Still in use Ooop Noorth (Wilmslow) in the later sixties - had my feet
done more than once with this brilliant (?) invention when a nipper, can't
have been earlier than 1967...

Stefek

You can see one in the film " million dollar brain" with Michael Caine

Steve

raden

In message , Owain
writes
"Andy Hall" wrote
| Andrew Gabriel wrote:
| Do they have one of those systems with wires across the ceiling
| with little pots carrying the money to the cashier?
| No -- there's too much merchandise hanging from the ceiling
| for one of those to work.
| I haven't seen one for years. When I was a kid, all the shoe
| shops had them.

I can remember the shoe shop used when I was little having a cuckoo-clock,
which fascinated me greatly and meant that shoe-buying trips had to be
synchronised to the hour :-)

| They do add up the cost of the items
| using paper and pencil though -- I can't recall there being a
| till in the shop, or at least if there is, it isn't used for
| adding up the totals.

They'll have problems recruiting staff under 40 with that skill. I expect
they have to convert to decimal every time they find a really old box of
something in t'back still priced at £4 19s 6d. (Paying cash sir? We'll drop
the odd farthing then.)

I bet you had some Wayfarers (?) too

.... with the compass in the heel and animal tracks on the soles

--
geoff
Stefek Zaba

raden wrote:

I bet you had some Wayfarers (?) too

... with the compass in the heel and animal tracks on the soles

*******! ;-) Dunno if he did, but I certainly did. There was me thinking
my brain had *useful* memories, and instead your throwaway remark
brought back vivid memories of digging that damn compass out of the heel!

Thanks - for nothing :-)

Owain

"raden" wrote
| I can remember the shoe shop used when I was little having a
| cuckoo-clock, which fascinated me greatly and meant that
| shoe-buying trips had to be synchronised to the hour :-)
| I bet you had some Wayfarers (?) too
| ... with the compass in the heel and animal tracks on the soles

Yeah right, black Clarks shoes for winter and brown Clarks sandals for
summer.

Owain

Lobster

raden wrote:

I bet you had some Wayfarers (?) too

... with the compass in the heel and animal tracks on the soles

*******! ;-) Dunno if he did, but I certainly did. There was me thinking
my brain had *useful* memories, and instead your throwaway remark
brought back vivid memories of digging that damn compass out of the heel!

Oh, I'd have killed for a pair of those but I had a deprived childhood (in
that my mum point-blank refused to buy them, on principle).

David

Owain

"Andy Hall" wrote
| (Said he, fed up because the Times has turned exclusively tabloid
| this week - don't know what the world's coming to.

I wonder if they'll have a special Reader Offer for tabloid-sized budgerigar
cages and cat litter trays, as the new paper will not fit readers' existing
receptacles without Sellotaping sections together.

Owain

raden

In message , Lobster
writes
raden wrote:

I bet you had some Wayfarers (?) too

... with the compass in the heel and animal tracks on the soles

*******! ;-) Dunno if he did, but I certainly did. There was me thinking
my brain had *useful* memories, and instead your throwaway remark
brought back vivid memories of digging that damn compass out of the heel!

Oh, I'd have killed for a pair of those but I had a deprived childhood (in
that my mum point-blank refused to buy them, on principle).

Yup, I had to fight and throw a tantrum to get mine

IIRC

--
geoff

Andy Hall

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 23:43:21 -0000, "Owain"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote
| (Said he, fed up because the Times has turned exclusively tabloid
| this week - don't know what the world's coming to.

I wonder if they'll have a special Reader Offer for tabloid-sized budgerigar
cages and cat litter trays, as the new paper will not fit readers' existing
receptacles without Sellotaping sections together.

Owain

What's the format of the Scotsman these days?

I can claim Scots descent at least, although perhaps this paper isn't
entirely suitable for sassenachs (or saesneg if you prefer )

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Brian Sharrock

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Stefek Zaba
writes
raden wrote:

I bet you had some Wayfarers (?) too
... with the compass in the heel and animal tracks on the soles

*******! ;-) Dunno if he did, but I certainly did. There was me
thinking my brain had *useful* memories, and instead your throwaway
remark brought back vivid memories of digging that damn compass out of
the heel!

Thanks - for nothing :-)

DIB DIB DIB

_Very hazy memories_ came as rusted synapses fired ... but;-
Isn't it DYB DYB DYB? (Do Your Best!) !
with the responding howl ..
We'll DOB DOB DOB ? (Do Our Best) !

--

Brian ( never got beyond Seconder)

Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Stefek Zaba
writes
raden wrote:

I bet you had some Wayfarers (?) too
... with the compass in the heel and animal tracks on the soles

*******! ;-) Dunno if he did, but I certainly did. There was me thinking
my brain had *useful* memories, and instead your throwaway remark brought
back vivid memories of digging that damn compass out of the heel!

Thanks - for nothing :-)

DIB DIB DIB

DOB DOB DOB

--
geoff

Mary Fisher

"Owain" wrote in message
"raden" wrote
| I can remember the shoe shop used when I was little having a
| cuckoo-clock, which fascinated me greatly and meant that
| shoe-buying trips had to be synchronised to the hour :-)
| I bet you had some Wayfarers (?) too
| ... with the compass in the heel and animal tracks on the soles

Yeah right, black Clarks shoes for winter and brown Clarks sandals for
summer.

I'm not sure they were around when I were a little lass but they wouldn't
have been affordable anyway. I can't remember if shoes were rationed but we
did only have, at most, two pairs a year. Sandals had the toes cut out to
allow for growth. I remember my mother saying that some shoes had cardboard
soles.

Ee, the good old days!

Mary

Owain

Mary Fisher

"Owain" wrote in message
"Andy Hall" wrote
| (Said he, fed up because the Times has turned exclusively tabloid
| this week - don't know what the world's coming to.

I wonder if they'll have a special Reader Offer for tabloid-sized
budgerigar
cages and cat litter trays, as the new paper will not fit readers'
existing
receptacles without Sellotaping sections together.

To say nothing of uniting bees ...

Mary

Owain

Screw Fix delivery times Maximus Glutimus UK diy 27 September 2nd 03 10:36 PM
imperial grub screw BAH UK diy 1 August 27th 03 11:45 PM
Another toolkit question Andrew McKay UK diy 32 July 15th 03 12:15 AM