mlv wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

Then you're using the wrong wall plugs, or wrong sized drill.

I'm mounting some (very) heavy duty TV wall brackets. The screws and plugs
came with the brackets, as did the drilling/fixing instructions.

I nearly always don't use the supplied screws and plugs. They are
often rather poor quality and too short.

The wallplugs were those awful flimsy grey things, mostly hollow and with
little sticky-out prongs. Internal walls are breeze (clinker) block with
cement render.

Ah, breeze block can be difficult. I'd just go for extra long 5mm
screws for this sort of weight on it.

Much better however, would be to use a system I know works well: Unifix
plastic wallplugs and traditional woodscrews.

I guess that's where we both are, we're familiar with a particular
pairing of wallplug and screw that works well. It makes sense to stay
using that and not to use plugs supplied simply because one will be
better at working with the familiar ones.

I have a big 'trade case' of TurbGold screws so I always have the
'right' screw for virtually any application. It cost £50 or so but
I've never regretted buying it, it saves so much time finding screws
for this job and that job over the years. I'm replacing ones that I
run out of with stainless steel ones now.

--
Chris Green