Christian McArdle

I find that yellow plugs with 4mm screws are just about immovable.

It may depend on your walls. If you've got soft brick and 100 year old
plaster, a yellow plug has as much chance of staying in as one of those
really scary nailed picture hooks (i.e. 5 minutes if you're lucky). It
wouldn't even reach the brick and the plaster can be picked out with a
finger.

Christian.

Andy Hall

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 08:46:46 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Owain" wrote in message
"raden" wrote
| I can remember the shoe shop used when I was little having a
| cuckoo-clock, which fascinated me greatly and meant that
| shoe-buying trips had to be synchronised to the hour :-)
| I bet you had some Wayfarers (?) too
| ... with the compass in the heel and animal tracks on the soles

Yeah right, black Clarks shoes for winter and brown Clarks sandals for
summer.

I'm not sure they were around when I were a little lass but they wouldn't
have been affordable anyway. I can't remember if shoes were rationed but we
did only have, at most, two pairs a year. Sandals had the toes cut out to
allow for growth. I remember my mother saying that some shoes had cardboard
soles.

Ee, the good old days!

Mary

But presumably you ad 'ovis and t'pipe band played Dvorak?

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Christian McArdle wrote:
I find that yellow plugs with 4mm screws are just about immovable.

It may depend on your walls. If you've got soft brick and 100 year old
plaster, a yellow plug has as much chance of staying in as one of those
really scary nailed picture hooks (i.e. 5 minutes if you're lucky). It
wouldn't even reach the brick and the plaster can be picked out with a
finger.

As I said elsewhere I do make sure the plug is in the brick if I'm
fixing something heavy. As I very frequently use 4 x 40mm screws with
yellow plugs it's easy enough to get them 'below the plaster'.

--
Chris Green
Mary Fisher

wrote:

"Owain" wrote in message
"raden" wrote
| I can remember the shoe shop used when I was little having a
| cuckoo-clock, which fascinated me greatly and meant that
| shoe-buying trips had to be synchronised to the hour :-)
| I bet you had some Wayfarers (?) too
| ... with the compass in the heel and animal tracks on the soles

Yeah right, black Clarks shoes for winter and brown Clarks sandals for
summer.

I'm not sure they were around when I were a little lass but they wouldn't
have been affordable anyway. I can't remember if shoes were rationed but
we
did only have, at most, two pairs a year. Sandals had the toes cut out to
allow for growth. I remember my mother saying that some shoes had
cardboard
soles.

Ee, the good old days!

Mary

But presumably you ad 'ovis and t'pipe band played Dvorak?

Certainly not! My mother made bread, the Boys' Brigade band only played
military music. I loved it. My little brother ws the Drum Major.

Mary

--

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Tony Bryer

In article , Raden wrote:
I bet you had some Wayfarers (?) too

.... with the compass in the heel and animal tracks on the soles

My first job was selling them - Saturday boy at the Hounslow Coop
shoe department. 24/- (£1.20) per day (1968) + one old penny in
the pound commission. And a staff restaurant that served seriously
good food for next to nothing.

Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
http://www.sda.co.uk/qsedbuk.htm

Brian Sharrock

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
In article , Raden wrote:
I bet you had some Wayfarers (?) too

.... with the compass in the heel and animal tracks on the soles

My first job was selling them - Saturday boy at the Hounslow Coop
shoe department. 24/- (£1.20) per day (1968) + one old penny in
the pound commission. And a staff restaurant that served seriously
good food for next to nothing.

As the original topic has been abandoned ....

Twenty-four bob _a day_ ?
.... my first year apprenticeship recompensed me at
One Pound Eight shillings and fourpence _a week_!
[Mind you; the good news was;- there wasn't much
income tax to pay! ]

Forty-eight hour week-
08:00~18:00 -(lunch hour) plus Saturday Morning;
overtime on Tuesday and Friday
(My Mum let me keep the overtime-I gave her the totality
of my 'wages' -but she gave me my tram-fare.)
- Tech' evening classes on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday-
you got Day-release in second year if you'd passed the
exams in the first year.

No namby-pamby seminar- attending supervisory attitude
of 'motivating the workforce' - they just shouted!

Of course it was in 1958 - now those were the 'old-days'!

--

Brian

Owain

"Andy Hall" wrote
| What's the format of the Scotsman these days?

My father used to get that when The Times was on strike.

| I can claim Scots descent at least, although perhaps this
| paper isn't entirely suitable for sassenachs (or saesneg
| if you prefer)

Owned by the Barclay brothers and based in Edinburgh which even has a Harvey
Nicks now, I don't think it would upset too many from the Heowm Cineties.

Owain

Mary Fisher

"Brian Sharrock" wrote in message

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
In article , Raden wrote:
[...]

I must have had a really good job then, in 1956 I brought home £3.12s.0d a
week and had an afternoon a week off to go to the Tech. No weekends, very
little to do in school holidays but still paid, more or less school hours. I
gave my mum £3/wk but she saved some of it for me.

I was earning more than Spouse, a metallurgical apprentice, he didn't get
overtime but had to do it and went to Tech (where we met) in the evenings.

Mary

--

Brian

Rob Graham

Andy Hall wrote in message . ..
On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 23:43:21 -0000, "Owain"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote
| (Said he, fed up because the Times has turned exclusively tabloid
| this week - don't know what the world's coming to.

I wonder if they'll have a special Reader Offer for tabloid-sized budgerigar
cages and cat litter trays, as the new paper will not fit readers' existing
receptacles without Sellotaping sections together.

Owain

What's the format of the Scotsman these days?

I can claim Scots descent at least, although perhaps this paper isn't

entirely suitable for sassenachs (or saesneg if you prefer )

Regretably it has gone the same way.

What a wonderful collection of silver surfers we have here. I always
thought this NG was full of people younger than I (~60) but I clearly
see that you are all pushing along too.

Rob
Bob Smith \(UK\)

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 20:07:13 -0000, "Bob Smith \(UK\)"
bob@nospamplease wrote:

"Paul Mc Cann" wrote in message

...........and a machime to x-ray your feet

Never heard of that. Was that back in the days when radiation was good

for
you?

Oh yes.

They were called a Pedoscope and it was part of the ritual in any
Clark's approved supplier of kid's shoes.

First the assistant measured the feet with a gauge (as today), then
try the shoes on, and finally stand under pedoscope to see the feet in
a fluorescent screen.

This is roughly what they looked like, although the picture is an
American model

http://www.orau.org/ptp/collection/s...fluor/shoe.htm

Interesting read - aparently there were health fears and legislation in the
states, causing them to disapear, but aparently no such cause over here.

The victorians actually did think radiation was good for you - it made your
cheeks rosy, and rosy cheeks are a sign of health. I think they used to
actually rub something radioactive on their cheeks.

Nowadays they use some sort of footprint measuring device which the kids
stand on to measure their feet. I think it might measure resistance, since
the kids have to hold on to some handles.

Bob

Mary Fisher

"Rob Graham" wrote in message
om...

What a wonderful collection of silver surfers we have here. I always
thought this NG was full of people younger than I (~60) but I clearly
see that you are all pushing along too.

I know, I used to rejoice in being the oldest in any group but I've
discovered that I've been upstaged :-(

Mary

Rob

Mary Fisher

bob@nospamplease wrote:

[...]

Is anyone else hearing the Women's Hour serial this week? The Innocence of
Radium.

Horrible.

Mary

raden

In message , Brian Sharrock
writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Stefek Zaba
writes
raden wrote:

I bet you had some Wayfarers (?) too
... with the compass in the heel and animal tracks on the soles

*******! ;-) Dunno if he did, but I certainly did. There was me
thinking my brain had *useful* memories, and instead your throwaway
remark brought back vivid memories of digging that damn compass out of
the heel!

Thanks - for nothing :-)

DIB DIB DIB

_Very hazy memories_ came as rusted synapses fired ... but;-
Isn't it DYB DYB DYB? (Do Your Best!) !
with the responding howl ..
We'll DOB DOB DOB ? (Do Our Best) !

You know, you're right there

My synapses are obviously rustier than yours

--
geoff
raden

In message , Rob Graham
writes

What a wonderful collection of silver surfers we have here. I always
thought this NG was full of people younger than I (~60) but I clearly
see that you are all pushing along too.

Oi !

I got my first pair of long trousers last week

--
geoff
dorothy

Try www.a2a4.co.uk - they do a lot of stainless screws,
both traditional woodscrews - as well as the new versions.

They also do small stainless hinges, useful for windows.

Owain

"raden" wrote
| Oi !
| I got my first pair of long trousers last week

Doesn't time fly. You'll be masturbating soon.

Owain

Frank Erskine

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 19:37:59 -0000, "Bob Smith \(UK\)"
bob@nospamplease wrote:

Nowadays they use some sort of footprint measuring device which the kids
stand on to measure their feet. I think it might measure resistance, since
the kids have to hold on to some handles.

Ohm sweet ohm

--
Frank Erskine
raden

In message , Owain
writes
"raden" wrote
| Oi !
| I got my first pair of long trousers last week

Doesn't time fly. You'll be masturbating soon.

So I've heard

--
geoff

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 22:56:08 GMT, raden wrote:

I bet you had some Wayfarers (?) too

... with the compass in the heel and animal tracks on the soles

Wayfinders

MJ

Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Owain
writes
"raden" wrote
| Oi !
| I got my first pair of long trousers last week

Doesn't time fly. You'll be masturbating soon.

So I've heard

Eh?

Mary

--
geoff

Mary Fisher

bob@nospamplease wrote:

Nowadays they use some sort of footprint measuring device which the kids
stand on to measure their feet. I think it might measure resistance,
since
the kids have to hold on to some handles.

Ohm sweet ohm

Watt?

--
Frank Erskine

Andy Hall

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 09:29:58 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

.. .
bob@nospamplease wrote:

Nowadays they use some sort of footprint measuring device which the kids
stand on to measure their feet. I think it might measure resistance,
since
the kids have to hold on to some handles.

Ohm sweet ohm

Watt?

Do you have any joules, currently?

dorothy wrote:
Try www.a2a4.co.uk - they do a lot of stainless screws,
both traditional woodscrews - as well as the new versions.

I can't see any woodscrews at all on their web site.

--
Chris Green
Mary Fisher

wrote:

. ..
bob@nospamplease wrote:

Nowadays they use some sort of footprint measuring device which the kids
stand on to measure their feet. I think it might measure resistance,
since
the kids have to hold on to some handles.

Ohm sweet ohm

Watt?

Do you have any joules, currently?

A fuse ...

Mary

--

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

mlv

Chris wrote:

Dorothy wrote:

Try www.a2a4.co.uk - they do a lot of stainless screws,
both traditional woodscrews - as well as the new versions.

I can't see any woodscrews at all on their web site.

I can!

Thanks Dot, they have the metric equivalent of #12 x 2.1/2" (5.5 x 65mm).
Mind you, they haven't replied to my e-mail asking for confirmation that
these screws are the traditional style woodscrew.

Chris - A2A4's search engine is not too hot and it don't cross-reference
common names/descriptors.

Search for 'wood screws' and you'll get lots of hits. Search for
'woodscrews' and you'll get none.

Similarly, search for 'countersunk' or 'c/sunk' and you'll get no hits.
Search for 'CSK' and you'll get loads.
--
Mike
-Please remove 'safetycatch' from e-mail address before firing off your

raden

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Owain
writes
"raden" wrote
| Oi !
| I got my first pair of long trousers last week

Doesn't time fly. You'll be masturbating soon.

So I've heard

Eh?

Well mummy told me if I saw anything bad, I'd turn to stone ... I looked
at a binary newsgroup and I think I've just started

(the old ones are the best, aren't they)

--
geoff
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
raden wrote:
Well mummy told me if I saw anything bad, I'd turn to stone ... I looked
at a binary newsgroup and I think I've just started

In the army during WW2, they put stuff in the tea to lower your sex urge.

Think it's started to work.

--
*Marathon runners with bad footwear suffer the agony of defeat.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Owain
writes
"raden" wrote
| Oi !
| I got my first pair of long trousers last week

Doesn't time fly. You'll be masturbating soon.

So I've heard

Eh?

Well mummy told me if I saw anything bad, I'd turn to stone ... I looked
at a binary newsgroup and I think I've just started

(the old ones are the best, aren't they)

Flatterer!

Mary

--
geoff

Ed Sirett

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 22:56:08 +0000, raden wrote:

... with the compass in the heel and animal tracks on the soles

Thanks I didn't know I'd forgotten about them. c. AD 1965

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Ed Sirett

wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote
| (Said he, fed up because the Times has turned exclusively tabloid
| this week - don't know what the world's coming to.

I wonder if they'll have a special Reader Offer for tabloid-sized budgerigar
cages and cat litter trays, as the new paper will not fit readers' existing
receptacles without Sellotaping sections together.

Owain

What's the format of the Scotsman these days?

I can claim Scots descent at least, although perhaps this paper isn't

entirely suitable for sassenachs (or saesneg if you prefer )

Regretably it has gone the same way.

What a wonderful collection of silver surfers we have here. I always
thought this NG was full of people younger than I (~60) but I clearly
see that you are all pushing along too.

Clearly from the number of people whose memory was awoken to the "compass
in the heel shoe". There must be a lot of us in the 45-50 range.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Brian Sharrock

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 09:49:39 -0800, Rob Graham wrote:

. ..
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote
| (Said he, fed up because the Times has turned exclusively tabloid
| this week - don't know what the world's coming to.

I wonder if they'll have a special Reader Offer for tabloid-sized

budgerigar
cages and cat litter trays, as the new paper will not fit readers'

existing
receptacles without Sellotaping sections together.

Owain

What's the format of the Scotsman these days?

I can claim Scots descent at least, although perhaps this paper isn't

entirely suitable for sassenachs (or saesneg if you prefer )

Regretably it has gone the same way.

What a wonderful collection of silver surfers we have here. I always
thought this NG was full of people younger than I (~60) but I clearly
see that you are all pushing along too.

Clearly from the number of people whose memory was awoken to the "compass
in the heel shoe". There must be a lot of us in the 45-50 range.

IMHO; there's another group as well; too old to have had 'compass'
shoes bought for them. In fact your mother needed ration-coupons
to purchase any clothes for kids, and the only people that might have
had a compass in their heels were German spies - who we read how to
identify in the Wizard and Hotspur.

--

Brian

Mary Fisher

"Brian Sharrock" wrote in message

Clearly from the number of people whose memory was awoken to the "compass
in the heel shoe". There must be a lot of us in the 45-50 range.

IMHO; there's another group as well; too old to have had 'compass'
shoes bought for them. In fact your mother needed ration-coupons
to purchase any clothes for kids, and the only people that might have
had a compass in their heels were German spies - who we read how to
identify in the Wizard and Hotspur.

There was nothing like that in Dandy.

And I can't think that I'd have been interested in compass shoes. A compass
is an easy thing to carry about, I had one but didn't use it. Still have and
still don't. All that romantic stuff about finding one's way with bits of
bent twig left me cold.

But so did all that jumping about and turning heels of socks we girlies had
to do in Brownies.

However, I have the last laugh, I'm frequently asked to give talks to the
Old Guides groups, I've just been booked for November 2005 for the Trefoil
Club (or something). They didn't give me compass bearings, just where in
relation to the brewery in Tadcaster I had to go.

I'm sure I'll find it :-)

Mary

--

Brian

mlv wrote:
Chris wrote:

Dorothy wrote:

Try www.a2a4.co.uk - they do a lot of stainless screws,
both traditional woodscrews - as well as the new versions.

I can't see any woodscrews at all on their web site.

I can!

Thanks Dot, they have the metric equivalent of #12 x 2.1/2" (5.5 x 65mm).
Mind you, they haven't replied to my e-mail asking for confirmation that
these screws are the traditional style woodscrew.

Chris - A2A4's search engine is not too hot and it don't cross-reference
common names/descriptors.

Search for 'wood screws' and you'll get lots of hits. Search for
'woodscrews' and you'll get none.

Similarly, search for 'countersunk' or 'c/sunk' and you'll get no hits.
Search for 'CSK' and you'll get loads.

Oh, I expected to be able to 'browse' to the wood screws if you see what I
mean. I very rarely use site search engines as they're often (as you say)
rubbish. I just browsed through the links on their site and none of them
took me to wood screws.

In fact even armed with your help (i.e. search for 'wood screws') it's
still well nigh impossible to find anything useful. 251 'hits' and no
easy way to look through them. I want to be able to go to a type of screw
and then get what I want rather than have to try and guess a search string
that will find what I want (maybe).

--
Chris Green
Lobster

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

There was nothing like that in Dandy.

Hey, do you know how much the Dandy costs now?

£1.20!! That's how much.

One pound four shillings! For ONE copy!

It's gone all PC since my day too - instead of Beryl The Peril baiting her
parents et al, you now get a Rastafarian kid detective called Dreadlock
Holmes (geddit?) who does Good Deeds. And Desperate Dan's gun has now
vanished, instead he has a little brown pouch on his belt from which I'm
sure he will eventually produce a mobile phone, once the readers have
forgotten it was supposed to contain a Colt .45. And of course he isn't
ever allowed to play with kids any more - unhealthy, you know... And, the
comic's filled with adverts for more and more goddamned electronic games,
blah blah blah.

Mary Fisher

"Lobster" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

There was nothing like that in Dandy.

Hey, do you know how much the Dandy costs now?

I know that the Beano is well over £1, a son in law has a stack in the
bathroom.

Not that I ever look at it of course ... it's not what it used to be.

Oops!

Mary

£1.20!! That's how much.

One pound four shillings! For ONE copy!

It's gone all PC since my day too - instead of Beryl The Peril baiting her
parents et al, you now get a Rastafarian kid detective called Dreadlock
Holmes (geddit?) who does Good Deeds. And Desperate Dan's gun has now
vanished, instead he has a little brown pouch on his belt from which I'm
sure he will eventually produce a mobile phone, once the readers have
forgotten it was supposed to contain a Colt .45. And of course he isn't
ever allowed to play with kids any more - unhealthy, you know... And,
the
comic's filled with adverts for more and more goddamned electronic games,
blah blah blah.

Lobster

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message . net...
"Lobster" wrote in message

I know that the Beano is well over £1, a son in law has a stack in the
bathroom.

Not that I ever look at it of course ... it's not what it used to be.

Actually last week's copy cost me £0.70 (maybe it's dearer round your
neck of the woods!)

(I'm not an afficionado BTW, just that my two sons get Beano and Dandy
respectively. Honest.)

David
Mary Fisher

om...
"Lobster" wrote in message

I know that the Beano is well over £1, a son in law has a stack in the
bathroom.

Not that I ever look at it of course ... it's not what it used to be.

Actually last week's copy cost me £0.70 (maybe it's dearer round your
neck of the woods!)

Oh! I'm wrong then. Sorry.

It's not in my neck of the woods, it's in Wales, but the price is on the
cover so it must be universal.

(I'm not an afficionado BTW, just that my two sons get Beano and Dandy
respectively. Honest.)

Of course. We'd never waste our time even glancing at them ...

whistles

Mary

David

raden

In message , Brian Sharrock
writes

news

wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote
| (Said he, fed up because the Times has turned exclusively tabloid
| this week - don't know what the world's coming to.

I wonder if they'll have a special Reader Offer for tabloid-sized

budgerigar
cages and cat litter trays, as the new paper will not fit readers'

existing
receptacles without Sellotaping sections together.

Owain

What's the format of the Scotsman these days?

I can claim Scots descent at least, although perhaps this paper isn't

entirely suitable for sassenachs (or saesneg if you prefer )

Regretably it has gone the same way.

What a wonderful collection of silver surfers we have here. I always
thought this NG was full of people younger than I (~60) but I clearly
see that you are all pushing along too.

Clearly from the number of people whose memory was awoken to the "compass
in the heel shoe". There must be a lot of us in the 45-50 range.

IMHO; there's another group as well; too old to have had 'compass'
shoes bought for them.

You mean the ones who refused to buy them for us ?
(well until worn down in a war of attrition )

--
geoff

Screw Fix delivery times Maximus Glutimus UK diy 27 September 2nd 03 10:36 PM
imperial grub screw BAH UK diy 1 August 27th 03 11:45 PM
Another toolkit question Andrew McKay UK diy 32 July 15th 03 12:15 AM