BAH

Default imperial grub screw

"David_Turner" wrote in message
om...
Hi all,

I am trying to find a grub screw for an antique door handle.

It seems to be between 3mm and 4mm in diameter. so i am guessing it is
an imperial size. (1/8inch perhaps)

does anyone know where i could get a grub screw to fit this? if a grub
screw is too specific, i could probably adapt a bolt that was the
right size.

cheers,

david.

You may still find imperial grub screws at the more 'old-fashioned'
ironmongers (ie: not B&Q) or more established machine equipment suppliers
(ie: not Machine Mart). I have a few in stock in my workshop, and I bet if
you know anyone in the toolmaking trade they'll be able to help you. But it
will probably be easier to cut a bit off a set screw or bolt, and saw a slot
with a junior or standard hacksaw. Beware that it will be 'softer' than the
proper thing though.
BAH

Paul C. Dickie

In article ,
David_Turner writes
I am trying to find a grub screw for an antique door handle.
It seems to be between 3mm and 4mm in diameter. so i am guessing it is
an imperial size. (1/8inch perhaps)

I could be mistaken, but I'd have expected 1/8" x 40 (1/8 BSW) would be
too fine for that purpose. Could it be 4BA, perhaps?

does anyone know where i could get a grub screw to fit this?

Take the door knob to your nearest engineering suppliers and get them to
try different screws until they find one that fits. Then buy at least
two per handle and a small quantity of matching nuts -- you'll need the
nuts to restore the screw thread when you cut the machine screw(s) to
size...

--
Paul