Lobster

wrote in message ...
mlv wrote:
I find that I tend to use slightly smaller drills than recommended for
the plugs and slightly smaller plugs than most other people seem to
use. I now use far more yellow plugs than red and rarely use the
bigger ones at all.

I drill 4.5mm holes for yellow plugs, sometimes you can get away with
4mm, it depends on the type of wall you're drilling into. The plugs
should be easy to just tap into the hole.

I then use 3.5mm or 4mm screws in the yellow plugs and, as I said,
have had no problems at all with their security.

I really can't imagine what I'd want to fix with big plastic plugs.

I'm guessing you live in a modern house with solid brickwork and maybe
sand-cement render on the internal walls?!

I hardly ever use yellow plugs, simply because they aren't deep enough to
get through the half-inch layer of powdery plaster which was applied about a
century ago, and wouldn't take any sort of weight whatsoever.

David