Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default I really don't mind...

....two crows falling down the chimney - presumably engaging in sexual
activities.

I don't even mind them knocking off all the lampshades, from the wall
lights, but I do draw the line at them ****ting on the walls and floor.

Sigh.

twenty-first centurys developed world went into hysterical panic over a
globally average temperature increase of a few tenths of a degree, and,
on the basis of gross exaggerations of highly uncertain computer
projections combined into implausible chains of inference, proceeded to
contemplate a rollback of the industrial age.

Richard Lindzen
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/10/2021 12:17 PM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
...two crows falling down the chimney - presumably engaging in sexual activities.

I don't even mind them knocking off all the lampshades, from the wall lights, but I do draw the line at them ****ting on the walls and floor.

Sigh.

West Nile virus?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
...two crows falling down the chimney - presumably engaging in sexual
activities.

I don't even mind them knocking off all the lampshades, from the wall
lights, but I do draw the line at them ****ting on the walls and floor.

They're probably Jackdaws, i.e. they are members of the crow family
along with Rooks, Carrion Crows, etc.

We have lots of jackdaws living in our chimney, fortunately for both
the jackdaws and us the chimney is no longer functional and is blocked
off in the middle of the house somewhere.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Mar 2021 12:25:28 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
...two crows falling down the chimney - presumably engaging in sexual
activities.

I don't even mind them knocking off all the lampshades, from the wall
lights, but I do draw the line at them ****ting on the walls and floor.

They're probably Jackdaws, i.e. they are members of the crow family
along with Rooks, Carrion Crows, etc.

We have lots of jackdaws living in our chimney, fortunately for both
the jackdaws and us the chimney is no longer functional and is blocked
off in the middle of the house somewhere.

I'd lit a fire probably the first after a summer and the smoke
back-winded - which it did occasionally anyway, then some soot and
then one very startled Little Owl, which then proceeded to flutter
around the lounge and curtains depositing soot enroute. Eventually
caught it, gave it a brushing, put it somewhere dark with a drink and
let it go a few hours later. Not a twit-twoo of thanks.

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

...two crows falling down the chimney - presumably engaging in sexual
activities.

I don't even mind them knocking off all the lampshades, from the wall
lights, but I do draw the line at them ****ting on the walls and floor.

Sigh.

Hence the phrase 'rough sex' ?

Who did they fence the stolen lampshades to ?.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

...two crows falling down the chimney - presumably engaging in sexual
activities.

I don't even mind them knocking off all the lampshades, from the wall
lights, but I do draw the line at them ****ting on the walls and floor.

Sigh.

We had a similar problem - until I stuffed my assembled drain-rod rods
up the chimney. Just pokes about six inches above the chimney-pot. No
problems since.

Haven't had blocked drains since, either.

One up for lateral thinking.

PA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2021 13:06, AnthonyL wrote:
[...]

I think they were in fact carrion crows.

Not jackdaws or ravens, or jays

--
when things get difficult you just have to lie

Jean Claud Jüncker
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2021 14:21, Peter Able wrote:
...two crows falling down the chimney - presumably engaging in sexual
activities.

I don't even mind them knocking off all the lampshades, from the wall
lights, but I do draw the line at them ****ting on the walls and floor.

Sigh.

We had a similar problem - until I stuffed my assembled drain-rod rods
up the chimney.* Just pokes about six inches above the chimney-pot.* No
problems since.

Haven't had blocked drains since, either.

One up for lateral thinking.

PA

how long does it last when you light a fire though?

or condoning; the full, exact, specific meaning of collectivism, of its
logical implications, of the principles upon which it is based, and of
the ultimate consequences to which these principles will lead. They must
face it, then decide whether this is what they want or not.

Ayn Rand.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://www.bto.org/develop-your-ski...ird-id-corvids

--
"And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch".

Gospel of St. Mathew 15:14

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2021 14:21, Peter Able wrote:
...two crows falling down the chimney - presumably engaging in sexual
activities.

I don't even mind them knocking off all the lampshades, from the wall
lights, but I do draw the line at them ****ting on the walls and floor.

Sigh.

We had a similar problem - until I stuffed my assembled drain-rod rods
up the chimney.* Just pokes about six inches above the chimney-pot.
No problems since.

Haven't had blocked drains since, either.

One up for lateral thinking.

PA

how long does it last when you light a fire though?

Don't use it as a fireplace - all fake coal on a propane burner in the
grate !!

Mind, if I did get in some propane, I might get away with it?

PA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2021 16:00, Peter Able wrote:
On 10/03/2021 14:21, Peter Able wrote:
...two crows falling down the chimney - presumably engaging in
sexual activities.

I don't even mind them knocking off all the lampshades, from the
wall lights, but I do draw the line at them ****ting on the walls
and floor.

Sigh.

We had a similar problem - until I stuffed my assembled drain-rod
rods up the chimney.* Just pokes about six inches above the
chimney-pot. No problems since.

Haven't had blocked drains since, either.

One up for lateral thinking.

PA

how long does it last when you light a fire though?

Don't use it as a fireplace - all fake coal on a propane burner in the
grate !!

Mind, if I did get in some propane, I might get away with it?

PA

The crow that fell down another chimney and flapped for days before
dying seems to have been turned to soot by the wood burner

--
The lifetime of any political organisation is about three years before
its been subverted by the people it tried to warn you about.

Anon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
...two crows falling down the chimney - presumably engaging in sexual
activities.

I don't even mind them knocking off all the lampshades, from the wall
lights, but I do draw the line at them ****ting on the walls and floor.

Sigh.

You need a bird guard on your chimney. Once youve had to extract a
chimney full of twigs dropped by a magpie nesting in your chimney you dont
ever leave a chimney unguarded.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2021 17:55, Tim+ wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
...two crows falling down the chimney - presumably engaging in sexual
activities.

I don't even mind them knocking off all the lampshades, from the wall
lights, but I do draw the line at them ****ting on the walls and floor.

Sigh.

You need a bird guard on your chimney. Once youve had to extract a
chimney full of twigs dropped by a magpie nesting in your chimney you dont
ever leave a chimney unguarded.

Tim

Having had one put up against the jackdaws last year, the buggers are
still there bouncing up and down on my TV aeriel, trying to dislodge it.
Three of them last time I looked.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

...two crows falling down the chimney - presumably engaging in sexual
activities.

I don't even mind them knocking off all the lampshades, from the wall
lights, but I do draw the line at them ****ting on the walls and floor.

Sigh.

My cat would have sorted that.

If it was doing it's job properly it would not take then into another
room to cause even more damage before killing them.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Mar 2021 17:32:42 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
snip

The crow that fell down another chimney and flapped for days before
dying

Did it ignore all your efforts to encourage it out?

Did the RSPCA and the local chimney sweep suggest you just left it to
suffer and slowly die?

How soon after did you fit the guards to the chimneys?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 10/03/2021 17:55, Tim+ wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
...two crows falling down the chimney - presumably engaging in sexual
activities.

I don't even mind them knocking off all the lampshades, from the wall
lights, but I do draw the line at them ****ting on the walls and floor.

Sigh.

You need a bird guard on your chimney. Once youve had to extract a
chimney full of twigs dropped by a magpie nesting in your chimney you dont
ever leave a chimney unguarded.

Tim

Having had one put up against the jackdaws last year, the buggers are
still there bouncing up and down on my TV aeriel, trying to dislodge it.
Three of them last time I looked.

Time for the shotgun.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2021 17:55, Tim+ wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
...two crows falling down the chimney - presumably engaging in sexual
activities.

I don't even mind them knocking off all the lampshades, from the wall
lights, but I do draw the line at them ****ting on the walls and floor.

Sigh.

You need a bird guard on your chimney. Once youve had to extract a
chimney full of twigs dropped by a magpie nesting in your chimney you dont
ever leave a chimney unguarded.

Tim

twigs would be fine. Id just use them to light a fire

private property.

Karl Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2021 19:30, ARW wrote:
...two crows falling down the chimney - presumably engaging in sexual
activities.

I don't even mind them knocking off all the lampshades, from the wall
lights, but I do draw the line at them ****ting on the walls and floor.

Sigh.

My cat would have sorted that.

If it was doing it's job properly it would not take then into another
room to cause even more damage before killing them.

Cats have done about £10,000 of damage to this house

That there were no cats in it was a condition of the divorce
I like cats, just not their urine

private property.

Karl Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2021 17:55, Tim+ wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
...two crows falling down the chimney - presumably engaging in sexual
activities.

I don't even mind them knocking off all the lampshades, from the wall
lights, but I do draw the line at them ****ting on the walls and floor.

Sigh.

You need a bird guard on your chimney. Once youve had to extract a
chimney full of twigs dropped by a magpie nesting in your chimney you dont
ever leave a chimney unguarded.

Tim

twigs would be fine. Id just use them to light a fire

Not with the stack stuffed with twigs...

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Mar 2021 10:41:38 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Oh, ****! And this little thread was Rodent-free, so far! tsk

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2021 19:30, ARW wrote:
...two crows falling down the chimney - presumably engaging in sexual
activities.

I don't even mind them knocking off all the lampshades, from the wall
lights, but I do draw the line at them ****ting on the walls and floor.

Sigh.

My cat would have sorted that.

If it was doing it's job properly it would not take then into another
room to cause even more damage before killing them.

Cats have done about £10,000 of damage to this house

That there were no cats in it was a condition of the divorce
I like cats, just not their urine

?? A condition of your divorce is you shouldn't keep cats in your house?

Please do explain.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 10/03/2021 19:30, ARW wrote:
...two crows falling down the chimney - presumably engaging in sexual
activities.

I don't even mind them knocking off all the lampshades, from the wall
lights, but I do draw the line at them ****ting on the walls and floor.

Sigh.

My cat would have sorted that.

If it was doing it's job properly it would not take then into another
room to cause even more damage before killing them.

Cats have done about £10,000 of damage to this house

That there were no cats in it was a condition of the divorce
I like cats, just not their urine

?? A condition of your divorce is you shouldn't keep cats in your house?

Most likely it was a condition of the divorce
that she takes all the cats with her.

Please do explain.

No way Pauline.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 12 Mar 2021 07:54:17 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH more the trolling senile asshole's latest troll****

--
Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

...two crows falling down the chimney - presumably engaging in sexual
activities.

I don't even mind them knocking off all the lampshades, from the wall
lights, but I do draw the line at them ****ting on the walls and floor.

Sigh.

ha ha aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/03/2021 08:20, Jimmy Stewart ... wrote:
...two crows falling down the chimney - presumably engaging in sexual
activities.

I don't even mind them knocking off all the lampshades, from the wall
lights, but I do draw the line at them ****ting on the walls and floor.

Sigh.

ha ha******* aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Perhaps they are the 'taste police'

Wall lights are soooo yesterday.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/03/2021 12:12, Andrew wrote:
Wall lights are soooo yesterday.

Out house is a little older than that... and the reason we have wall
lights upstairs is so that there is no wiring in the loft where it could
set light to the thatch.

Downstairs none of the ceilings are over 2 metres, and there isn't the
height for them.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 12/03/2021 15:17, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 12/03/2021 12:12, Andrew wrote:
Wall lights are soooo yesterday.

Out house is a little older than that... and the reason we have wall
lights upstairs is so that there is no wiring in the loft where it could
set light to the thatch.

Downstairs none of the ceilings are over 2 metres, and there isn't the
height for them.

Well you could fit spotlights downstairs - but it would look like a cows
****.

There is nothing wrong with wall lights and the description of your of
your house suggests they probably enhance the house.

https://www.scotlightdirect.co.uk/bl...old-fashioned/

We started fitting wall lights on some new builds not so long ago and
most buyers loved them.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Streater
writes
On 13 Mar 2021 at 17:47:29 GMT, ARW wrote:

We started fitting wall lights on some new builds not so long ago and
most buyers loved them.

Most rooms that we redecorate, here, we're restoring the picture rails that
some swine has taken out.

Our first house, a Victorian semi, had a horizontal board fitted at
picture rail height in the *front room*.

We used it for displaying decorative plates but I have not seen it used
elsewhere since.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Tim Streater
writes
On 13 Mar 2021 at 17:47:29 GMT, ARW wrote:

We started fitting wall lights on some new builds not so long ago and
most buyers loved them.

Most rooms that we redecorate, here, we're restoring the picture rails that
some swine has taken out.

Our first house, a Victorian semi, had a horizontal board fitted at
picture rail height in the *front room*.

We used it for displaying decorative plates but I have not seen it used
elsewhere since.

That was pretty common on period Scottish houses. Not seen it on English
ones.

--
*Preserve wildlife - Go pickle a squirrel*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Mar 2021 11:58:16 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

wrote:

We started fitting wall lights on some new builds not so long ago
and most buyers loved them.

Most rooms that we redecorate, here, we're restoring the picture rails
that some swine has taken out.

Our first house, a Victorian semi, had a horizontal board fitted at
picture rail height in the *front room*.

We used it for displaying decorative plates but I have not seen it used
elsewhere since.

That was pretty common on period Scottish houses. Not seen it on English
ones.

There's a house near here (East Kent) that has such a shelf all the way
round. It is integrated with what I am pretty sure is original panelling.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

We started fitting wall lights on some new builds not so long ago
and most buyers loved them.

Most rooms that we redecorate, here, we're restoring the picture
rails that some swine has taken out.

Our first house, a Victorian semi, had a horizontal board fitted at
picture rail height in the *front room*.

We used it for displaying decorative plates but I have not seen it
used elsewhere since.

That was pretty common on period Scottish houses. Not seen it on
English ones.

There's a house near here (East Kent) that has such a shelf all the way
round. It is integrated with what I am pretty sure is original panelling.

Ah - right. I'm more familiar with London Victorian houses. Not super posh
ones.

I've seen it in tenement buildings in Scotland.

--
*Why 'that tie suits you' but 'those shoes suit you'?*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Mar 2021 12:30:54 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

wrote:

We started fitting wall lights on some new builds not so long ago
and most buyers loved them.

Most rooms that we redecorate, here, we're restoring the picture
rails that some swine has taken out.

Our first house, a Victorian semi, had a horizontal board fitted at
picture rail height in the *front room*.

We used it for displaying decorative plates but I have not seen it
used elsewhere since.

That was pretty common on period Scottish houses. Not seen it on
English ones.

There's a house near here (East Kent) that has such a shelf all the way
round. It is integrated with what I am pretty sure is original
panelling.

Ah - right. I'm more familiar with London Victorian houses. Not super
posh ones.

This isn't super posh either, although it's not down market either.

https://goo.gl/maps/KTGN5FGGQ6FECzwe8

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Tim Streater
writes
On 13 Mar 2021 at 17:47:29 GMT, ARW wrote:

We started fitting wall lights on some new builds not so long ago and
most buyers loved them.

Most rooms that we redecorate, here, we're restoring the picture rails that
some swine has taken out.

Our first house, a Victorian semi, had a horizontal board fitted at
picture rail height in the *front room*.

We used it for displaying decorative plates but I have not seen it used
elsewhere since.

That was pretty common on period Scottish houses. Not seen it on English
ones.

Seen it on some farm houses in the north east of England where there is
considerable Scottish influence on many things.
--
bert