ississauga

Default How to cut quarter round really really fast?

I install a large amount of quarter round in customers' homes and
being wondering if there is a faster tool to cut the angles. I now use
either a power mitre saw or the mitre box & hand saw combination. Is
there any special power tool to cut these angles?
skeezics

On 29 Nov 2004 20:08:30 -0800, (ississauga)
wrote:

I install a large amount of quarter round in customers' homes and
being wondering if there is a faster tool to cut the angles. I now use
either a power mitre saw or the mitre box & hand saw combination. Is
there any special power tool to cut these angles?

molding sheers. i use em every day and they are far and away faster
than any power saw. i get mine from butki tool.
http://www.butkitool.com/
not sure if they are doing online ordering yet. they were not thwe
last time i got some. just call em and tell em what you need. cost is
44 dollars plus shipping last time i ordered. woodcraft and others
carry a similar type but they dont last as long and require sharpening
more often. the ones at butki are german made under the brand name
"lowe". if you are only going to do this job one time the cheeper ones
will do fine. i think they were 20 dollars at woodcraft. i use mine
every day for business so i get the best i can find. hope this helps.

skeez
Leon

"ississauga" wrote in message
om...
I install a large amount of quarter round in customers' homes and
being wondering if there is a faster tool to cut the angles. I now use
either a power mitre saw or the mitre box & hand saw combination. Is
there any special power tool to cut these angles?

Faster? How about the Bosch Power Hand Saw,
http://www.boschtools.com/tools/tool...=54928&I=55132 .

I have done this also in new home construction. The cutting is the fast
part with a Electric Miter saw. The measuring, walking to the saw and
returning to nail the molding is the slow part. With the Bosch saw you may
be able to cut the molding at the location it will be installed and stay on
your knees. BTY why are you using 1/4 molding instead of the traditional
shoe molding?

Andy Dingley

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 18:08:51 -0500, sandman
wrote:

Also to cut the head off of a 16d nail... like that helper did......

I think mine would cheerfully take the head off a helper, without even
chipping the blades. You've got to love that 115 year old ironwork.

--
Smert' spamionam
DanG

Look at these:
http://www.sylvanproducts.com/produc...dware.html?o=/

I use them on concrete chamfer strip. Clean precise cuts. Great
tool.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"J T" wrote in message
Mon, Nov 29, 2004, 8:08pm (EST-3)

(ississauga)
who wonderingly asks:
I install a large amount of quarter round in customers' homes
and being
wondering if there is a faster tool to cut the angles. I now use
either
a power mitre saw or the mitre box & hand saw combination. Is
there any
special power tool to cut these angles?

Yeah. It's called a power mitre saw. Compound angle.

Faster tool? It would appear you seem to have left out
some
details, because I don't understand your question as asked. I
would
think a power mitre saw would be about as fast as you could get,
and
still make accurate cuts. Of course, I would say a hatchet
would be
faster - albeit, not quite as accurate.

Are you cutting different angles, and having to change the
settings
on your mitre saw? The time it takes slowing you down? Or
what?
Inquiring minds want to know.

If it's the time changing angles, one solution would be two,
or
more, power mitre saws, each set at a different angle.

But, now I'm curious. If you are installing quarter round
in
customer homes, it would seem you do it for a living, or at
least
remuneration. How long have you been doing it?

JOAT
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind
dont
matter, and those who matter dont mind.
- Dr Seuss

Morris Dovey

ississauga wrote:

I install a large amount of quarter round in customers' homes
and being wondering if there is a faster tool to cut the
angles. I now use either a power mitre saw or the mitre box &
hand saw combination. Is there any special power tool to cut
these angles?

Well, a power mitre saw is pretty fast - but if you need to go
/really/ fast, it's difficult to beat a chain saw...

(^:
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Lewis

This has got to be a troll. Check the posts in the last few months:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...ho tmail.com+
"How are pieces of wood joined together?" C'mon -- I'm going to pay
this guy to install stairs?
Also note that once he posts to start a thread he never revisits it.
Just starts a ball rolling and watches us chase it....
Lewis
mnterpfan

You must have really been attached to that nail. Was it your last one?
ET

Joe Gorman

Morris Dovey wrote:
ississauga wrote:

I install a large amount of quarter round in customers' homes
and being wondering if there is a faster tool to cut the
angles. I now use either a power mitre saw or the mitre box &
hand saw combination. Is there any special power tool to cut
these angles?

Well, a power mitre saw is pretty fast - but if you need to go /really/
fast, it's difficult to beat a chain saw...

(^:

Yeah, but for really fast you'll need a helper:-)
http://www.compfused.com/directlink/154/
Joe
RemodGuy

"DanG" wrote in message news:s1ird.62084$_g6.21984@okepread03...
Look at these:
http://www.sylvanproducts.com/produc...dware.html?o=/

I use them on concrete chamfer strip. Clean precise cuts. Great
tool.

absolutely, dan. i borrowed a pair of shoe cutters like this years
ago when doing production trim on a 700 home development. keep a
sharp blade on it. you can get them with different base plates for
different miters. you never have to stand up when shoeing a room. i
do only custom cabinet work now and havent used them in quite some
time, but i'll never get rid of them. best inexpensive toll i've ever
purchased.