DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How to cut quarter round really really fast? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/79305-how-cut-quarter-round-really-really-fast.html)

ississauga November 30th 04 04:08 AM

How to cut quarter round really really fast?

I install a large amount of quarter round in customers' homes and
being wondering if there is a faster tool to cut the angles. I now use
either a power mitre saw or the mitre box & hand saw combination. Is
there any special power tool to cut these angles?

J T November 30th 04 05:40 AM

Mon, Nov 29, 2004, 8:08pm (EST-3) (ississauga)
who wonderingly asks:
I install a large amount of quarter round in customers' homes and being
wondering if there is a faster tool to cut the angles. I now use either
a power mitre saw or the mitre box & hand saw combination. Is there any
special power tool to cut these angles?

Yeah. It's called a power mitre saw. Compound angle.

Faster tool? It would appear you seem to have left out some
details, because I don't understand your question as asked. I would
think a power mitre saw would be about as fast as you could get, and
still make accurate cuts. Of course, I would say a hatchet would be
faster - albeit, not quite as accurate.

Are you cutting different angles, and having to change the settings
on your mitre saw? The time it takes slowing you down? Or what?
Inquiring minds want to know.

If it's the time changing angles, one solution would be two, or
more, power mitre saws, each set at a different angle.

But, now I'm curious. If you are installing quarter round in
customer homes, it would seem you do it for a living, or at least
remuneration. How long have you been doing it?

JOAT
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont
matter, and those who matter dont mind.
- Dr Seuss

skeezics November 30th 04 01:22 PM

On 29 Nov 2004 20:08:30 -0800, (ississauga)
wrote:

I install a large amount of quarter round in customers' homes and
being wondering if there is a faster tool to cut the angles. I now use
either a power mitre saw or the mitre box & hand saw combination. Is
there any special power tool to cut these angles?

molding sheers. i use em every day and they are far and away faster
than any power saw. i get mine from butki tool.
http://www.butkitool.com/
not sure if they are doing online ordering yet. they were not thwe
last time i got some. just call em and tell em what you need. cost is
44 dollars plus shipping last time i ordered. woodcraft and others
carry a similar type but they dont last as long and require sharpening
more often. the ones at butki are german made under the brand name
"lowe". if you are only going to do this job one time the cheeper ones
will do fine. i think they were 20 dollars at woodcraft. i use mine
every day for business so i get the best i can find. hope this helps.

skeez

Andy Dingley November 30th 04 01:33 PM

On 30 Nov 2004 04:47:04 -0800, (moore) wrote:

Has anyone out there ever tried a miter guillotine? I've seen some
that range in price from $150 to over $2k. How well do they work?

I've never seen one that cut. They're really only for trimming a
whisker off things. Nice tools for picture framing, but not for quick
cuts.

For fast mitres in trim work, I prefer a hand saw and a good mitre
box. It takes minimal time to make the cut, it's the setup that needs
the effort. I can work much faster with a handsaw, because I know I
can stick my fingers into the working area without major risk.

--
Smert' spamionam

Leon November 30th 04 01:52 PM

"ississauga" wrote in message
om...
I install a large amount of quarter round in customers' homes and
being wondering if there is a faster tool to cut the angles. I now use
either a power mitre saw or the mitre box & hand saw combination. Is
there any special power tool to cut these angles?

Faster? How about the Bosch Power Hand Saw,
http://www.boschtools.com/tools/tool...=54928&I=55132 .

I have done this also in new home construction. The cutting is the fast
part with a Electric Miter saw. The measuring, walking to the saw and
returning to nail the molding is the slow part. With the Bosch saw you may
be able to cut the molding at the location it will be installed and stay on
your knees. BTY why are you using 1/4 molding instead of the traditional
shoe molding?

[email protected] November 30th 04 06:27 PM

On 30 Nov 2004 04:47:04 -0800, (moore) wrote:

Has anyone out there ever tried a miter guillotine? I've seen some
that range in price from $150 to over $2k. How well do they work?

I have one. they work great.

they don't do through cuts though. they're for cleaning up your miter
saw cut.

sandman November 30th 04 11:08 PM

In article ,
(moore) wrote:

Has anyone out there ever tried a miter guillotine? I've seen some
that range in price from $150 to over $2k. How well do they work?

They're handy and do an excellent job for 'extra' fine adjustments
They don't cut 'through' though.
Also to cut the head off of a 16d nail... like that helper did......
that used to work for me.... funny, I haven't seen him around at all
since that day.... 'tis been over a year now.

Must have been something I said...

or the look in my eyes?

*shrugs*

Andy Dingley December 1st 04 12:18 AM

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 18:08:51 -0500, sandman
wrote:

Also to cut the head off of a 16d nail... like that helper did......

I think mine would cheerfully take the head off a helper, without even
chipping the blades. You've got to love that 115 year old ironwork.

--
Smert' spamionam

Prometheus December 1st 04 12:21 AM

wrote:

I install a large amount of quarter round in customers' homes and
being wondering if there is a faster tool to cut the angles. I now use
either a power mitre saw or the mitre box & hand saw combination. Is
there any special power tool to cut these angles?

Whoa there, Zippy! How is it possible that you need something
"faster" than a power miter saw? Heck, even a dull handsaw only takes
a few seconds to cut quater round- I think I even used a utility knife
once in a pinch, with fairly quick results.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

[email protected] December 1st 04 01:29 AM

wrote:

I install a large amount of quarter round in customers' homes and
being wondering if there is a faster tool to cut the angles. I now use
either a power mitre saw or the mitre box & hand saw combination. Is
there any special power tool to cut these angles?

Whoa there, Zippy! How is it possible that you need something
"faster" than a power miter saw? Heck, even a dull handsaw only takes
a few seconds to cut quater round- I think I even used a utility knife
once in a pinch, with fairly quick results.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

maybe his quarter round is 6" radius... didja think of that? huh,
didja?

Prometheus December 1st 04 02:50 AM

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 18:29:57 -0700, s wrote:

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 18:21:30 -0600, Prometheus
wrote:

On 29 Nov 2004 20:08:30 -0800,
(ississauga)
wrote:

I install a large amount of quarter round in customers' homes and
being wondering if there is a faster tool to cut the angles. I now use
either a power mitre saw or the mitre box & hand saw combination. Is
there any special power tool to cut these angles?

Whoa there, Zippy! How is it possible that you need something
"faster" than a power miter saw? Heck, even a dull handsaw only takes
a few seconds to cut quarter round- I think I even used a utility knife
once in a pinch, with fairly quick results.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

maybe his quarter round is 6" radius... didja think of that? huh,
didja?

No, I guess I didn't. Hmmm... does your quarter round have a 6"
radius? Perhaps a chainsaw is the way to go... Seriously, though-
why the need for such speed? I always found the measuring and nailing
to take a heck of a lot longer than the cutting! Those trimmers the
other posters mentioned look like they're more for making a clean
finished edge or correcting a bad angle (both of which are real
useful, but I don't know that adding a step saves any time) than for
chomping through a million linear feet of 1/4 round in 5.5 seconds
flat.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

DanG December 1st 04 11:37 AM

Look at these:
http://www.sylvanproducts.com/produc...dware.html?o=/

I use them on concrete chamfer strip. Clean precise cuts. Great
tool.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"J T" wrote in message
Mon, Nov 29, 2004, 8:08pm (EST-3)

(ississauga)
who wonderingly asks:

Morris Dovey December 1st 04 02:41 PM

ississauga wrote:

I install a large amount of quarter round in customers' homes
and being wondering if there is a faster tool to cut the
angles. I now use either a power mitre saw or the mitre box &
hand saw combination. Is there any special power tool to cut
these angles?

Well, a power mitre saw is pretty fast - but if you need to go
/really/ fast, it's difficult to beat a chain saw...

(^:
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Lewis December 1st 04 05:30 PM

This has got to be a troll. Check the posts in the last few months:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...ho tmail.com+
"How are pieces of wood joined together?" C'mon -- I'm going to pay
this guy to install stairs?
Also note that once he posts to start a thread he never revisits it.
Just starts a ball rolling and watches us chase it....
Lewis

mnterpfan December 1st 04 05:40 PM

You must have really been attached to that nail. Was it your last one?
ET

Joe Gorman December 1st 04 05:55 PM

Morris Dovey wrote:
ississauga wrote:

I install a large amount of quarter round in customers' homes
and being wondering if there is a faster tool to cut the
angles. I now use either a power mitre saw or the mitre box &
hand saw combination. Is there any special power tool to cut
these angles?

Well, a power mitre saw is pretty fast - but if you need to go /really/
fast, it's difficult to beat a chain saw...

(^:

Yeah, but for really fast you'll need a helper:-)
http://www.compfused.com/directlink/154/
Joe

RemodGuy December 1st 04 09:14 PM

"DanG" wrote in message news:s1ird.62084$_g6.21984@okepread03...
Look at these:
http://www.sylvanproducts.com/produc...dware.html?o=/

I use them on concrete chamfer strip. Clean precise cuts. Great
tool.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

absolutely, dan. i borrowed a pair of shoe cutters like this years
ago when doing production trim on a 700 home development. keep a
sharp blade on it. you can get them with different base plates for
different miters. you never have to stand up when shoeing a room. i
do only custom cabinet work now and havent used them in quite some
time, but i'll never get rid of them. best inexpensive toll i've ever
purchased.

steve December 3rd 04 07:38 PM

wrote:

I install a large amount of quarter round in customers' homes and
being wondering if there is a faster tool to cut the angles. I now use
either a power mitre saw or the mitre box & hand saw combination. Is
there any special power tool to cut these angles?

I do Trim and Stairs for a living and I have to install quarter round (a lot
of it) I use a SCMS (dewalt). an average house (all the hardwood and tile)
only takes about 4 hours. Unless the measuring sucks and you have to keep
re-cutting the stuff.
If you install "a large amount" as you say the speed should come naturally.