Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

Default Printers (slightly OT)

****ed off with Ebuyer and Lexmark. At the beginning of December my
cheap Brother mono laser had a toner leak inside. Changed the cartridge
but still making messy prints, I was too busy to grovel around inside so
I picked up a similar looking £100 Lexmark from Ebuyer (showing
reasonable reviews on Amazon, but faster delivery from eBuyer).

Six weeks on, the low capacity cartridge is out, at which point I find
it seems to have a "chip" like inkjet ones, nothing third party
available, and cartridge prices vary from £50 for 1300 pages to over
£200 for 6k. And nothing with fast delivery.

Seems to me Lexmark are taking the ****, Ebuyer too. I have had a
Lexmark colour laser for a couple of years and that has been fine. I
must have put about ten cartridges at less than £20 a time through the
Brother. And a couple of replacement "drums".

I've had various HP and Dell lasers over the past 20 years or so, and
never had this sort of problem before.

So be careful out there if you are in the market!
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

I picked up a similar looking £100 Lexmark from Ebuyer
Six weeks on, the low capacity cartridge is out, at which point I find
it seems to have a "chip" like inkjet ones,

Depending on the model, there are bottles of CMYK toner together with a
"reset chip" on ebay ...

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 07/01/2021 22:33, newshound wrote:
[...]

Try
https://www.stinkyinkshop.co.uk/
They offer same day shipping if ordered before 4pm. (possibly not at
weekends)

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

[...]

Buy an office printer, not one made for small office/home office/john
lewis/currys. The clue is in the tray capacity and number of prints in
the largest cartridge, and probably slightly more costly.

Brother printers have small trays, small carts - and IME costly to
replace consumables. Compatible carts made a mess of one of my friend's
printer, we gave up even after changing the drum.

My Samsung ML-3710ND will do 10,000 5% pages before needing a change.
Compatible cart cost £25, last changed Jan 2017. Printer bought in 2012
from printerland.co.uk

Not a colour one though.

Used to install loads of Lexmarks in Hotel reception desks. Never
impressed by any of them, plastic covers too floppy - or maybe made that
way to bounce when the staff trash them.

Do we have a printer section in the uk.d-i-y FAQ?

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

[...]

I have an OKI C712 which cost very little to run.

Bill

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking newshound wrote :
Six weeks on, the low capacity cartridge is out, at which point I find it
seems to have a "chip" like inkjet ones, nothing third party available, and
cartridge prices vary from £50 for 1300 pages to over £200 for 6k. And
nothing with fast delivery.

I always checked consumable costs, before committing to a purchase.

You cannot beat a used ex-office laser, they sell for peanuts, are
built for hard work and the consumables are silly cheap.
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

My old hp bw laser still works countless years on with recycled carts. The
integral drums do not seem to be any issue, and never had to clean the high
voltage bits as you do in some of the Brothers who use a platinum wire I
think.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"newshound" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

One word of warning though, its awfully tempting, I am told to vacuum the
spilled toner inside the printer to clean up printouts. DON'T!. Toner is low
melting point plastic with a conductive additive and very very small
particles. The vacuum used for this needs a special filter to stop it
getting into the and seizing it and shorting it out!

"williamwright" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2021 08:36, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
After serious thinking newshound wrote :
Six weeks on, the low capacity cartridge is out, at which point I find
it seems to have a "chip" like inkjet ones, nothing third party
available, and cartridge prices vary from £50 for 1300 pages to over
£200 for 6k. And nothing with fast delivery.

I always checked consumable costs, before committing to a purchase.

You cannot beat a used ex-office laser, they sell for peanuts, are built
for hard work and the consumables are silly cheap.

electricity is not however

--
"And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch".

Gospel of St. Mathew 15:14

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 07/01/2021 22:33, newshound wrote:

Seems to me Lexmark are taking the ****, Ebuyer too. I have had a
Lexmark colour laser for a couple of years and that has been fine. I
must have put about ten cartridges at less than £20 a time through the
Brother. And a couple of replacement "drums".

I've had various HP and Dell lasers over the past 20 years or so, and
never had this sort of problem before.

So be careful out there if you are in the market!

Also beware firmware upgrades. I have a Samsung laser printer (SoHo)
which I can use toner refills with, but only because I shorted out a
couple of pins on a counter chip on the main board ,/and/ didn't
download a firmware upgrade. That upgrade would have negated the
possibility o using the pin shorting method on the chip. I happened to
have a couple of old, but full, Brother toner cartridges , and have
slowly been using the toner in them to refill the Samsung cartridge.

--

Jeff

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 07/01/2021 23:38, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

Brother printers have small trays, small carts - and IME costly to
replace consumables. Compatible carts made a mess of one of my friend's
printer, we gave up even after changing the drum.

Horses for courses. I have a Brother laser purchased because it has a
very small footprint and fits in a small space. The toner cartridge only
lasts for 1000 sheets but is £15 for a compatible replacement. I've had
no problems with compatible cartridge nor with compatible inks for my
Epson. My usage of the printer(s) is light.

With the Brother laser I did check out the cost of consumables before
purchase having been caught in the same situation as the OP 25 years
ago with a beast of a HP laser

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

williamwright wrote:
[...]

But do you print anything? :-)

Actually I too have an OKI, it's an MC342n "do everything" laser and
works very well. It is quite big though.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

In article , Harry Bloomfield wrote:
After serious thinking newshound wrote :
Six weeks on, the low capacity cartridge is out, at which point I find
it seems to have a "chip" like inkjet ones, nothing third party
available, and cartridge prices vary from £50 for 1300 pages to over
£200 for 6k. And nothing with fast delivery.

I always checked consumable costs, before committing to a purchase.

You cannot beat a used ex-office laser, they sell for peanuts, are built
for hard work and the consumables are silly cheap.

Depends on the printer. I have an ex-office A3 colour laser - it's a
wonderful workhorse, but toner s nearly £200 per colour

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2021 08:36, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
After serious thinking newshound wrote :
Six weeks on, the low capacity cartridge is out, at which point I find
it seems to have a "chip" like inkjet ones, nothing third party
available, and cartridge prices vary from £50 for 1300 pages to over
£200 for 6k. And nothing with fast delivery.

I always checked consumable costs, before committing to a purchase.

You cannot beat a used ex-office laser, they sell for peanuts, are built
for hard work and the consumables are silly cheap.

I agree. But on a point of detail, check the weight: 'er indoors can't
carry our (admittedly ancient) HP.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 07/01/2021 22:33, newshound wrote:
****ed off with Ebuyer and Lexmark. At the beginning of December my
cheap Brother mono laser had a toner leak inside. Changed the cartridge
but still making messy prints, I was too busy to grovel around inside so
I picked up a similar looking £100 Lexmark from Ebuyer (showing
reasonable reviews on Amazon, but faster delivery from eBuyer).

Six weeks on, the low capacity cartridge is out, at which point I find
it seems to have a "chip" like inkjet ones, nothing third party
available, and cartridge prices vary from £50 for 1300 pages to over
£200 for 6k. And nothing with fast delivery.

You didn't check that third party ink cartridges were available before
you bought a printer? That is *the* way to get royally ripped off.

Though I confess I have done it once with the colour Dell laser printer
because of its for the time almost photoreal colour reproduction.

Fortunately for me the thing was so hard to assemble correctly without
breaking it that huge numbers of damaged ones were available from Morgan
with 3 sets of OEM cartridges for the same price as a new one. So I
bought a second one from them just to get the toner cartridges. By the
time they ran out aftermarket compatible toner cartridges were
available. I had the original from new. I have just had to swap to the
other one after the original print engine finally gave up the ghost.

Colour reproduction is now nothing special by comparison with the latest
generation of lasers (especially on cheap toner at £20 a set CMYK).

Seems to me Lexmark are taking the ****, Ebuyer too. I have had a
Lexmark colour laser for a couple of years and that has been fine. I
must have put about ten cartridges at less than £20 a time through the
Brother. And a couple of replacement "drums".

I've had various HP and Dell lasers over the past 20 years or so, and
never had this sort of problem before.

They all do it to some extent on their newest printers. They make most
of their money from selling the consumables. Aftermarket toner/ink
suppliers generally crack the chips within 12 a year or so.

So be careful out there if you are in the market!

It was ever thus.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher formulated the question :
electricity is not however

All modern printers go into very low power standby, besides mine is
tucked away in an upstairs bedroom and only powered up when needed via
a Smart Plug.
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

charles wrote :
Depends on the printer. I have an ex-office A3 colour laser - it's a
wonderful workhorse, but toner s nearly £200 per colour

HP4000 A4 printer, with network interface. It cost me £20 many years
ago. The toner finally ran low a couple of years ago, the replacement
cost me £25.
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

Robin was thinking very hard :
I agree. But on a point of detail, check the weight: 'er indoors can't carry
our (admittedly ancient) HP.

Carry it, why would you want to carry it? Mine is on my network and I
just print to it from any device, providing the device is somewhere on
my property in range of wifi.
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

on 08/01/2021, Brian Gaff (Sofa) supposed :
My old hp bw laser still works countless years on with recycled carts. The
integral drums do not seem to be any issue, and never had to clean the high
voltage bits as you do in some of the Brothers who use a platinum wire I
think.

Yep, same here HP4000n
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa) formulated the question :
One word of warning though, its awfully tempting, I am told to vacuum the
spilled toner inside the printer to clean up printouts. DON'T!. Toner is low
melting point plastic with a conductive additive and very very small
particles. The vacuum used for this needs a special filter to stop it getting
into the and seizing it and shorting it out!

I agree, much better to take it outside on a dry day and if you have an
airline - blow it out, but standing upwind of it to avoid breathing in
the dust.

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 07/01/2021 23:10, alan_m wrote:
[...]

Not for B2236dw. And only genuine Lexmark cartridges, £85 for standard
£125 for high capacity, for a similar model.
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2021 11:38, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Robin was thinking very hard :
I agree.* But on a point of detail, check the weight: 'er indoors
can't carry our (admittedly ancient) HP.

Carry it, why would you want to carry it? Mine is on my network and I
just print to it from any device, providing the device is somewhere on
my property in range of wifi.

In our case because it needs to be moved in order to access the boiler.

I am given to understand other users have other reasons - including that
they are not sluts and like to dust behind and even /underneath/ their
printers.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2021 08:36, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
After serious thinking newshound wrote :
Six weeks on, the low capacity cartridge is out, at which point I find
it seems to have a "chip" like inkjet ones, nothing third party
available, and cartridge prices vary from £50 for 1300 pages to over
£200 for 6k. And nothing with fast delivery.

I always checked consumable costs, before committing to a purchase.

You cannot beat a used ex-office laser, they sell for peanuts, are built
for hard work and the consumables are silly cheap.

I'd stopped bothering, for mono lasers, although I do check out inkjets.
I've had three ex-ofice lasers, all HP. One A3 (the duplex system
eventually wore out) and two LJ5s. On one of them the "comms" board died
and a replacement was more expensive than another printer, I forget what
happened to the other. There don't seem to be so many around now whereas
there are plenty of cheap home office models. This is the first time I
have been burned. I certainly won't be buying Lexmark again (unless they
turn out to be refillable, I'm waiting to see what Ebuyer say).

Interestingly, I can't post a review for that model on Amazon. They say
something like "There have been a lot of posts for this model and now
they are only accepting reviews from verified purchasers".
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2021 09:37, Martin Brown wrote:
On 07/01/2021 22:33, newshound wrote:
****ed off with Ebuyer and Lexmark. At the beginning of December my
cheap Brother mono laser had a toner leak inside. Changed the
cartridge but still making messy prints, I was too busy to grovel
around inside so I picked up a similar looking £100 Lexmark from
Ebuyer (showing reasonable reviews on Amazon, but faster delivery from
eBuyer).

Six weeks on, the low capacity cartridge is out, at which point I find
it seems to have a "chip" like inkjet ones, nothing third party
available, and cartridge prices vary from £50 for 1300 pages to over
£200 for 6k. And nothing with fast delivery.

You didn't check that third party ink cartridges were available before
you bought a printer? That is *the* way to get royally ripped off.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. This is, I think, my fourth "soho" laser
(two colour, two mono) and never had this problem before (including with
the colour Lexmark).

Also, I think I'll be sticking with Amazon in future.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

On Friday, January 8, 2021 at 12:04:02 PM UTC, newshound wrote:
[...]

It may not be the same 'comms card', but I have had a few instances of the
network card for my Laserjet 2200 failing (P/No J169 rings a bell). These have
a Ball Grid Array chip on the from the early days of BGA fabrication.
There is a common fault where the BGA chip partly loses contact with the pads
on the PCB. I have had some success renovating these boards with the judicious
use of a hot air gun and Al foil as a heat shield. The info for this used to be on
the web; I haven't had need of this in quite a few years as the J169 as currently
fitted seems rock solid.

I just pass this on in case it is of use. I am vaguely after a replacement for my
2200, of a similar quality and capability (duplex, network,...)

J^n

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 08/01/2021 11:53, Robin wrote:
On 08/01/2021 11:38, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Robin was thinking very hard :
I agree.* But on a point of detail, check the weight: 'er indoors
can't carry our (admittedly ancient) HP.

Carry it, why would you want to carry it? Mine is on my network and I
just print to it from any device, providing the device is somewhere on
my property in range of wifi.

In our case because it needs to be moved in order to access the boiler.

I am given to understand other users have other reasons - including that
they are not sluts and like to dust behind and even /underneath/ their
printers.

My DW decided many many years ago that she would move her electric
typewriter from one side of the office to the other. She managed to get
it most of the way before running out of strength and dropping it. Her
boss was really surprisingly nice about it.

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2021 09:17, Chris Green wrote:
williamwright wrote:
[...]

My Canon Pixma IP1200 is quite economical, but I only print a dozen or
so pages a year :-). I get 3rd-party cartridges from 7-day shop and they
seem to work OK.
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2021 11:32, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
The Natural Philosopher formulated the question :
electricity is not however

All modern printers go into very low power standby, besides mine is
tucked away in an upstairs bedroom and only powered up when needed via a
Smart Plug.

https://www.zerohedge.com/energy/bre...ergy-companies

Smells fishy to me
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2021 11:53, Robin wrote:
On 08/01/2021 11:38, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Robin was thinking very hard :
I agree.* But on a point of detail, check the weight: 'er indoors
can't carry our (admittedly ancient) HP.

Carry it, why would you want to carry it? Mine is on my network and I
just print to it from any device, providing the device is somewhere on
my property in range of wifi.

In our case because it needs to be moved in order to access the boiler.

I am given to understand other users have other reasons - including that
they are not sluts and like to dust behind and even /underneath/ their
printers.

But surely people only do that when upgrading software or changing
consumables ?.

The more you 'dust' the more dust you create and spread, surely ?.
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2021 12:03, newshound wrote:
[...]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSK1D3bZhRs

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

williamwright wrote:
[...]

I found that I couldn't get the colours right with replacemnt laser
cartridges. Many years ago I had an inkjet printer gum up with non
manufacturers' ones. That was expensive since it was a specialised device
with pin-feed. So, I stick to 'originals'.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

[...]

There is a seller on E bay USA who supplies Firmware for $10 which takes
care for Chip.

I will try finding his ID today.

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2021 11:32, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
The Natural Philosopher formulated the question :
electricity is not however

All modern printers go into very low power standby, besides mine is
tucked away in an upstairs bedroom and only powered up when needed via a
Smart Plug.

But a second hand office printer is [probably being sold because it is
an electron gobbler

--
"Socialist governments traditionally do make a financial mess. They
always run out of other people's money. It's quite a characteristic of them"

Margaret Thatcher
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2021 12:14, jkn wrote:

I just pass this on in case it is of use. I am vaguely after a replacement for my
2200, of a similar quality and capability (duplex, network,...)

TBH, when I looked at repairing my 2200 it was more expensive in parts
than replacing it with a Laserjet Pro M402dne. Which is smaller and
faster...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher submitted this idea :
But a second hand office printer is [probably being sold because it is an
electron gobbler

No, the biggest improvements have been in speed, not much change in the
consumption department, since they were forced to reduce the standby
consumption of all devices.

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2021 11:32, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
The Natural Philosopher formulated the question :
electricity is not however

All modern printers go into very low power standby, besides mine is
tucked away in an upstairs bedroom and only powered up when needed via
a Smart Plug.

But a second hand office printer is [probably being sold because it is
an electron gobbler

So don't leave it on all the time. Even our ancient HP4200 has
"instant-on" fuser so there's no need to leave it on to avoid warm-up
time; and we are not so far gone as to turn it off while t'other's job
is actually being processed. It's not like an office with umpteen users.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2021 12:24, GB wrote:
[...]

One of the secretaries where I worked complained about the weight of the
IBM Selectrics when they first arrived. Procurement's advice was a
classic combination of accuracy and stupidity - on the lines of "it
weighs less if you remove the golfball, ribbon and correction tape."

--
Robin
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 08/01/2021 11:32, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
The Natural Philosopher formulated the question :
electricity is not however

All modern printers go into very low power standby, besides mine is
tucked away in an upstairs bedroom and only powered up when needed via a
Smart Plug.

But a second hand office printer is [probably being sold because it is
an electron gobbler

more likely that everything is replaced after x years for tax purposes/

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2021 12:08, newshound wrote:
[...]

I find eBuyer and Morgan both useful for bargains sometimes. YMMV

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2021 13:39, Robin wrote:
On 08/01/2021 11:32, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
The Natural Philosopher formulated the question :
electricity is not however

All modern printers go into very low power standby, besides mine is
tucked away in an upstairs bedroom and only powered up when needed
via a Smart Plug.

But a second hand office printer is [probably being sold because it is
an electron gobbler

So don't leave it on all the time.Â* Even our ancient HP4200 has
"instant-on" fuser so there's no need to leave it on to avoid warm-up
time; and we are not so far gone as to turn it off while t'other's job
is actually being processed.Â* It's not like an office with umpteen users.

fair point

--
Labour - a bunch of rich people convincing poor people to vote for rich
people by telling poor people that "other" rich people are the reason

Peter Thompson

Inkjet printers (slightly OT) newshound UK diy 72 November 6th 15 09:43 PM
Service Manuals - Electronics,Audio,TV,Monitors,Copiers,Printers [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 December 20th 05 01:52 AM
USB PRINTERS West Midlands, UK. UK diy 9 February 9th 05 09:37 PM
GREATE MANUAL TO DESASSEMBLY AND REPAIR NEARLY ALL PRINTERS batteryman Electronics Repair 1 September 29th 04 07:54 PM
For Sale!!! Brand New $ 50.00 EPSON C84 Ink Jet, Photo Printers 825! [email protected] Metalworking 0 July 7th 04 05:24 PM