Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

Default Printers (slightly OT)

My old hp bw laser still works countless years on with recycled carts. The
integral drums do not seem to be any issue, and never had to clean the high
voltage bits as you do in some of the Brothers who use a platinum wire I
think.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"newshound" wrote in message
****ed off with Ebuyer and Lexmark. At the beginning of December my cheap
Brother mono laser had a toner leak inside. Changed the cartridge but
still making messy prints, I was too busy to grovel around inside so I
picked up a similar looking £100 Lexmark from Ebuyer (showing reasonable
reviews on Amazon, but faster delivery from eBuyer).

Six weeks on, the low capacity cartridge is out, at which point I find it
seems to have a "chip" like inkjet ones, nothing third party available,
and cartridge prices vary from £50 for 1300 pages to over £200 for 6k. And
nothing with fast delivery.

Seems to me Lexmark are taking the ****, Ebuyer too. I have had a Lexmark
colour laser for a couple of years and that has been fine. I must have put
about ten cartridges at less than £20 a time through the Brother. And a
couple of replacement "drums".

I've had various HP and Dell lasers over the past 20 years or so, and
never had this sort of problem before.

So be careful out there if you are in the market!