Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital

Default Inkjet printers (slightly OT)

I occasionally want to print drawings at A3, but my ancient Laserjet
8000 has just died. I swore I would never buy another inkjet, but all
the refurb A3 mono lasers are large, expensive, or both, whereas there
are several smaller, cheaper colour inkjets on the market. I guess I
might use one occasionally for photos or posters but I'm not worried
about exhibition quality. What *really* worries me is print head dryout
because I might only use it once a week.

Does anyone have any views / experience on current Epson / Canon / HP or
other A3 printers?

Don't need duplex. (A3 scanning might very occasionally be handy).

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital

newshound wrote:
I occasionally want to print drawings at A3, but my ancient Laserjet
8000 has just died. I swore I would never buy another inkjet, but all
the refurb A3 mono lasers are large, expensive, or both, whereas there
are several smaller, cheaper colour inkjets on the market. I guess I
might use one occasionally for photos or posters but I'm not worried
about exhibition quality. What *really* worries me is print head dryout
because I might only use it once a week.

Does anyone have any views / experience on current Epson / Canon / HP or
other A3 printers?

Don't need duplex. (A3 scanning might very occasionally be handy).

TIA

I use Epsons - cheaper the better and often have a week between printing
and rarely have trouble that a head cleaning cycle won't sort out.
However if you stick makes that have integral printheads with the ink
tanks, eg HP then if you had one dry out that would not submit when
cleaned, then all you would have to do is chuck the cartridge rather
than the whole printer.
Epsons have fixed print heads and usually are beyond economic repair
when they have problems.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital

On Mon, 26 Oct 2015 14:23:17 +0000, newshound wrote:

Does anyone have any views / experience on current Epson / Canon / HP or
other A3 printers?

Had a few Brother MFC A3's, they've all been great until as you say, if
not used in a while the printheads pack in and they are bricked.

If you are using it weekly i'd have thought you'd be OK.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:
What *really* worries me is print head dryout
because I might only use it once a week.

I think you'll be ok with any, if it really is used at least once a week.
It leaving them for ages that causes the problem. And modern inks may be
better anyway.

--
*A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital

On 26/10/15 14:23, newshound wrote:
I occasionally want to print drawings at A3, but my ancient Laserjet
8000 has just died. I swore I would never buy another inkjet, but all
the refurb A3 mono lasers are large, expensive, or both, whereas there
are several smaller, cheaper colour inkjets on the market. I guess I
might use one occasionally for photos or posters but I'm not worried
about exhibition quality. What *really* worries me is print head dryout
because I might only use it once a week.

Does anyone have any views / experience on current Epson / Canon / HP or
other A3 printers?

Don't need duplex. (A3 scanning might very occasionally be handy).

TIA

I have a large A1 inkjet that dries up... spare

But suggest refurbed laser for this job. Some nice old HP and RICOH sets
out there ex company etc.

--
Global warming is the new Margaret Thatcher. There is no ill in the
world it's not directly responsible for.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Landing/ecotank-super-tank-printers.do?UseCookie=yes&oid=0

--

Regards,

Savageduck

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/10/15 14:23, newshound wrote:
I occasionally want to print drawings at A3, but my ancient Laserjet
8000 has just died. I swore I would never buy another inkjet, but all
the refurb A3 mono lasers are large, expensive, or both, whereas there
are several smaller, cheaper colour inkjets on the market. I guess I
might use one occasionally for photos or posters but I'm not worried
about exhibition quality. What *really* worries me is print head dryout
because I might only use it once a week.

Does anyone have any views / experience on current Epson / Canon / HP or
other A3 printers?

Don't need duplex. (A3 scanning might very occasionally be handy).

TIA

I have a large A1 inkjet that dries up... spare

But suggest refurbed laser for this job. Some nice old HP and RICOH sets
out there ex company etc.

I think I paid just over £100 for my last LJ8000, but the reasonable
stuff now seems to be around £250, and is also larger than the 8000. One
of them weighs 65 kg. Don't think I can justify that for my very limited
use.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital

On 26/10/2015 14:23, newshound wrote:
I occasionally want to print drawings at A3, but my ancient Laserjet
8000 has just died. I swore I would never buy another inkjet, but all
the refurb A3 mono lasers are large, expensive, or both, whereas there
are several smaller, cheaper colour inkjets on the market. I guess I
might use one occasionally for photos or posters but I'm not worried
about exhibition quality. What *really* worries me is print head dryout
because I might only use it once a week.

Does anyone have any views / experience on current Epson / Canon / HP or
other A3 printers?

Don't need duplex. (A3 scanning might very occasionally be handy).

TIA

Thanks to all for the helpful comments. Still musing over the options.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital

On 2015-10-26 14:23:17 +0000, newshound said:

I occasionally want to print drawings at A3, but my ancient Laserjet
8000 has just died. I swore I would never buy another inkjet, but all
the refurb A3 mono lasers are large, expensive, or both, whereas there
are several smaller, cheaper colour inkjets on the market. I guess I
might use one occasionally for photos or posters but I'm not worried
about exhibition quality. What *really* worries me is print head dryout
because I might only use it once a week.

Does anyone have any views / experience on current Epson / Canon / HP
or other A3 printers?

Don't need duplex. (A3 scanning might very occasionally be handy).

TIA

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Landing/ecotank-super-tank-printers.do?UseCookie=yes&oid=0

BTW:

I have two Epson printers, a dedicated photo printer and an all-in-one.
Neither one has had clogged nozzle issues due to dried out ink
cartridges.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/10/15 15:18, newshound wrote:
[...]

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ricoh-SP81...-/111797085896

price is as you say, but these machines work

--
Global warming is the new Margaret Thatcher. There is no ill in the
world it's not directly responsible for.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
newshound wrote:
What *really* worries me is print head dryout
because I might only use it once a week.

I think you'll be ok with any, if it really is used at least once a week.
It leaving them for ages that causes the problem. And modern inks may be
better anyway.

I've got a Canon Pixma MG7100 series printer/scanner (always forget
which one) It can go for weeks without being used sometimes and we've
never had a problem with print heads drying up.

Ours is an A4 printer, but I'm sure the A3 printers use similar
technology

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Up to a point, Lord Copper.

We had a couple of similar (possibly the same) Ricoh's in the office of
my last employer, before I retired. About once a month, one or other of
them would go down and have the service engineer in all day. They were
not particularly intensively used (each typically servicing 15
engineering consultants). They were probably a bit better after the
first year, but by no means infallible.

I don't disagree, if I had sufficient use I would consider one. But I
already have two full duplex A4 laser printers (mono and colour).
Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital

In article ,
newshound wrote:

I occasionally want to print drawings at A3, but my ancient Laserjet
8000 has just died. I swore I would never buy another inkjet, but all
the refurb A3 mono lasers are large, expensive, or both, whereas there
are several smaller, cheaper colour inkjets on the market. I guess I
might use one occasionally for photos or posters but I'm not worried
about exhibition quality. What *really* worries me is print head dryout
because I might only use it once a week.

clogging is no longer an issue.

Does anyone have any views / experience on current Epson / Canon / HP or
other A3 printers?

Don't need duplex. (A3 scanning might very occasionally be handy).

consider a multifunction epson printer. the workforce series is
excellent, prints very fast and the cost per page is relatively low.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers

In article ,
newshound wrote:

On 26/10/2015 14:23, newshound wrote:
I occasionally want to print drawings at A3, but my ancient Laserjet
8000 has just died. I swore I would never buy another inkjet, but all
the refurb A3 mono lasers are large, expensive, or both, whereas there
are several smaller, cheaper colour inkjets on the market. I guess I
might use one occasionally for photos or posters but I'm not worried
about exhibition quality. What *really* worries me is print head dryout
because I might only use it once a week.

Does anyone have any views / experience on current Epson / Canon / HP or
other A3 printers?

Don't need duplex. (A3 scanning might very occasionally be handy).

TIA

Thanks to all for the helpful comments. Still musing over the options.

comp.periphs.printers might be helpful if you need more input.
--
teleportation kills
Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital

On 26/10/2015 14:23, newshound wrote:
I occasionally want to print drawings at A3, but my ancient Laserjet
8000 has just died. I swore I would never buy another inkjet, but all
the refurb A3 mono lasers are large, expensive, or both, whereas there
are several smaller, cheaper colour inkjets on the market. I guess I
might use one occasionally for photos or posters but I'm not worried
about exhibition quality. What *really* worries me is print head dryout
because I might only use it once a week.

Does anyone have any views / experience on current Epson / Canon / HP or
other A3 printers?

Don't need duplex. (A3 scanning might very occasionally be handy).

TIA

I have a Brother A3 printer and it hasn't dried out in 4 years.
However it is on all the time so it does periodic head cleaning.

This wastes a bit of ink but as I use compatible carts its peanuts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers

On 10/26/2015 12:45 PM, android wrote:
In article ,
newshound wrote:

On 26/10/2015 14:23, newshound wrote:
I occasionally want to print drawings at A3, but my ancient Laserjet
8000 has just died. I swore I would never buy another inkjet, but all
the refurb A3 mono lasers are large, expensive, or both, whereas there
are several smaller, cheaper colour inkjets on the market. I guess I
might use one occasionally for photos or posters but I'm not worried
about exhibition quality. What *really* worries me is print head dryout
because I might only use it once a week.

Does anyone have any views / experience on current Epson / Canon / HP or
other A3 printers?

Don't need duplex. (A3 scanning might very occasionally be handy).

TIA

Thanks to all for the helpful comments. Still musing over the options.

comp.periphs.printers might be helpful if you need more input.

I had an HP932 printer, that I bought about 2000. It was used for basic
document printing, and pictures. It was not used a lot but when it was
used we would print a lot business cards with photo backs and
brochures. Before mom died we printed a lot of photos.

Point being we needed the cards and brochures about once per year, and
documents less than that. In the 15 years I have had the printer I
never had a problem with the print heads. I have bought its
replacement, as the HP5704 printer/scanner combination was the price of
the scanner. Since I have an inventory of ink for the 932, I will use
it for several more years

Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital

I always found the HP ones better on the clog factor and Epson the worst.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
I occasionally want to print drawings at A3, but my ancient Laserjet 8000
has just died. I swore I would never buy another inkjet, but all the refurb
A3 mono lasers are large, expensive, or both, whereas there are several
smaller, cheaper colour inkjets on the market. I guess I might use one
occasionally for photos or posters but I'm not worried about exhibition
quality. What *really* worries me is print head dryout because I might only
use it once a week.

Does anyone have any views / experience on current Epson / Canon / HP or
other A3 printers?

Don't need duplex. (A3 scanning might very occasionally be handy).

TIA

Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital

In article ,
newshound scribeth thus
I occasionally want to print drawings at A3, but my ancient Laserjet
8000 has just died. I swore I would never buy another inkjet, but all
the refurb A3 mono lasers are large, expensive, or both, whereas there
are several smaller, cheaper colour inkjets on the market. I guess I
might use one occasionally for photos or posters but I'm not worried
about exhibition quality. What *really* worries me is print head dryout
because I might only use it once a week.

Does anyone have any views / experience on current Epson / Canon / HP or
other A3 printers?

Don't need duplex. (A3 scanning might very occasionally be handy).

TIA

Yes we have a HP Officejet 7110 for that very A3 reason. Can't grumble
about it. Bought it direct from HP, cartridges seem to last a sufficient
time its a "bit" noisy in operation farts around a bit but otherwise
fine. Print quality is fine

Handles paper very well to it replaced an 8600 which was in use for
years doing A3 and A4 sizes

I think its got wireless in it but we don't need that....

http://www.trustedreviews.com/hp-off...-format-review

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital

On 2015-10-26 17:58:08 +0000, "Brian-Gaff" said:

I always found the HP ones better on the clog factor and Epson the worst.
Brian

Epson has pretty much solved the ink clog issue on recent and current
inkjets. Some 10-12 years ago it was so bad I swore I would never buy
another Epson. My old Stylus 870 became a boat anchor quite quickly,
clog after clog, cleaning cartridge after clening cartridge. I moved to
Canon, and they were OK, but nothing special.
I relented when I couldn't get decent color rendition from my Canon
i9900. The solution was a move back to Epson, a move I have never
regretted. Not a single clogged nozzle since 2008 with an R2880, and my
XP-610 all-in-one has performed flawlessly for the last 18 months.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital

Brian-Gaff wrote:

I always found the HP ones better on the clog factor and Epson the worst.

Not sure if it's still true, but with HP the heads were a disposable
part of the cartridge, while with Epson the cartridge is just an ink
tank (plus revenue protection chip) and the heads are part of the printer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital

On 26/10/2015 14:23, newshound wrote:
I occasionally want to print drawings at A3, but my ancient Laserjet
8000 has just died. I swore I would never buy another inkjet, but all
the refurb A3 mono lasers are large, expensive, or both, whereas there
are several smaller, cheaper colour inkjets on the market. I guess I
might use one occasionally for photos or posters but I'm not worried
about exhibition quality. What *really* worries me is print head dryout
because I might only use it once a week.

Would printing across multiple A4 sheets be an option? I use Easy Poster
Printer (second one down at http://www.gdsoftware.dk/products.aspx)
which makes this very easy, particularly if your A4 printer can print
right to the edge of the paper.

--
Reentrant
Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital

On 10/26/2015 09:29 AM, Bob Minchin wrote:
newshound wrote:
[...]

Also use Epson here...and the printer can sometimes go unused for a
month. Never had an ink jam.

We just replaced the one we use for photos and it went ten years.

We thought it senseless to even think of repairing it
Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital

On Mon, 26 Oct 2015 08:26:42 -0700, Savageduck

On 2015-10-26 14:23:17 +0000, newshound said:

[...]

I've used Epson printers since the first inkjet I bought. Years ago,
I did have problems with ink heads clogging if the printer wasn't used
frequently. I haven't had an ink head clogging problem in five or
more years, though. I haven't run the ink head cleaning routine for
my current Epson for a least a year.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
I occasionally want to print drawings at A3, but my ancient Laserjet 8000
has just died. I swore I would never buy another inkjet, but all the
refurb A3 mono lasers are large, expensive, or both, whereas there are
several smaller, cheaper colour inkjets on the market. I guess I might use
one occasionally for photos or posters but I'm not worried about
exhibition quality. What *really* worries me is print head dryout because
I might only use it once a week.

Does anyone have any views / experience on current Epson / Canon / HP or
other A3 printers?

Canons dont dry out when used like that, or much less than that either.

Don't need duplex. (A3 scanning might very occasionally be handy).

Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital

On 26/10/2015 18:20, Reentrant wrote:
On 26/10/2015 14:23, newshound wrote:
I occasionally want to print drawings at A3, but my ancient Laserjet
8000 has just died. I swore I would never buy another inkjet, but all
the refurb A3 mono lasers are large, expensive, or both, whereas there
are several smaller, cheaper colour inkjets on the market. I guess I
might use one occasionally for photos or posters but I'm not worried
about exhibition quality. What *really* worries me is print head dryout
because I might only use it once a week.

Would printing across multiple A4 sheets be an option? I use Easy Poster
Printer (second one down at http://www.gdsoftware.dk/products.aspx)
which makes this very easy, particularly if your A4 printer can print
right to the edge of the paper.

It's a good point, but often I am printing scans off old blueprint type
drawings, or sections of them, and sometimes scaling in order to
estimate otherwise unobtainable dimensions. Having a single sheet of A3
paper gives you a chance of getting a value with some confidence.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital

On Mon, 26 Oct 2015 18:09:27 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

Brian-Gaff wrote:

I always found the HP ones better on the clog factor and Epson the worst.

Not sure if it's still true, but with HP the heads were a disposable
part of the cartridge, while with Epson the cartridge is just an ink
tank (plus revenue protection chip) and the heads are part of the printer.

It's more than (easily defeated) revenue protection. It's there to
prevent air from getting in the print lines by stopping printing when
the tank is running on empty. That's why there is always some ink left
in the tank.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens
Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital

On 26/10/2015 14:29, Bob Minchin wrote:
Epsons have fixed print heads and usually are beyond economic repair
when they have problems.

I took mine apart and soaked it in meths. It was OK for a couple of
years. I need to do it again now though.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital

In article , Vir
Campestris wrote:

Epsons have fixed print heads and usually are beyond economic repair
when they have problems.

I took mine apart and soaked it in meths. It was OK for a couple of
years. I need to do it again now though.

where did you get the meth?
Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital

On Mon, 26 Oct 2015 21:17:49 +0000, Vir Campestris
wrote:

On 26/10/2015 14:29, Bob Minchin wrote:
Epsons have fixed print heads and usually are beyond economic repair
when they have problems.

I took mine apart and soaked it in meths. It was OK for a couple of
years. I need to do it again now though.

There is a lot of information out there about cleaning Epson print
heads. All kinds of stuff has been suggested: ammonia, isopropyly
alcohol, and particularly Windex window cleaner. I've never heard of
straight meths though.

What kind of printer is it?
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens
Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital

On 26/10/2015 14:23, newshound wrote:
I occasionally want to print drawings at A3, but my ancient Laserjet
8000 has just died. I swore I would never buy another inkjet, but all
the refurb A3 mono lasers are large, expensive, or both, whereas there
are several smaller, cheaper colour inkjets on the market. I guess I
might use one occasionally for photos or posters but I'm not worried
about exhibition quality. What *really* worries me is print head dryout
because I might only use it once a week.

Does anyone have any views / experience on current Epson / Canon / HP or
other A3 printers?

Mines now a Canon Pixma ix6550 which was on offer when I got it.

It has the advantage of taking the same ink cartridges as another
multifunction printer that I own. I use third party clone inks as I
don't need it photo real or much longevity. It replaced an i9000 that
lost its magic smoke after more than a decade of use.

Both have survived intermittent heavy use without issue and latterly on
cloned inks (though not the very cheapest ones).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital

wrote:

On 26/10/2015 14:29, Bob Minchin wrote:
Epsons have fixed print heads and usually are beyond economic repair
when they have problems.

I took mine apart and soaked it in meths. It was OK for a couple of
years. I need to do it again now though.

There is a lot of information out there about cleaning Epson print
heads. All kinds of stuff has been suggested: ammonia, isopropyly
alcohol, and particularly Windex window cleaner. I've never heard of
straight meths though.

What kind of printer is it?

My question would be "Which meth product?". Methylene chloride is a
pretty standard ingredient in cleaning solvents.

http://hpd.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/house...queryx=75-09-2

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital

wrote:

On 26/10/2015 14:29, Bob Minchin wrote:
Epsons have fixed print heads and usually are beyond economic repair
when they have problems.

I took mine apart and soaked it in meths. It was OK for a couple of
years. I need to do it again now though.

There is a lot of information out there about cleaning Epson print
heads. All kinds of stuff has been suggested: ammonia, isopropyly
alcohol, and particularly Windex window cleaner. I've never heard of
straight meths though.

What kind of printer is it?

My question would be "Which meth product?". Methylene chloride is a
pretty standard ingredient in cleaning solvents.

http://hpd.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/house...queryx=75-09-2

I believe the reference was to methyl alcohol (methanol) which is
available in many countries as methylated spirits, better known in the
US as denatured alcohol. Due to consumption abuse the methanol content
has been reduced, and in some countries banned.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denatured_alcohol

--
Regards,

Savageduck

Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital

"nospam" wrote in message
In article , Vir
Campestris wrote:

Epsons have fixed print heads and usually are beyond economic repair
when they have problems.

I took mine apart and soaked it in meths. It was OK for a couple of
years. I need to do it again now though.

where did you get the meth?

That's the usual abbreviation for mentholated spirits, basically ethanol.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital

wrote:

On 26/10/2015 14:29, Bob Minchin wrote:
Epsons have fixed print heads and usually are beyond economic repair
when they have problems.

I took mine apart and soaked it in meths. It was OK for a couple of
years. I need to do it again now though.

There is a lot of information out there about cleaning Epson print
heads. All kinds of stuff has been suggested: ammonia, isopropyly
alcohol, and particularly Windex window cleaner. I've never heard of
straight meths though.

What kind of printer is it?

My question would be "Which meth product?". Methylene chloride is a
pretty standard ingredient in cleaning solvents.

http://hpd.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/house...queryx=75-09-2

I believe the reference was to methyl alcohol (methanol)

Nope.

which is available in many countries as methylated spirits,

Methylated spirits isn't methyl alcohol, its ethanol.

better known in the US as denatured alcohol.

Yes, but that isn't methanol either.

Due to consumption abuse the methanol content has been reduced, and in
some countries banned.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denatured_alcohol

That says its ethanol, not methanol.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"nospam" wrote in message
In article , Vir
Campestris wrote:

Epsons have fixed print heads and usually are beyond economic repair
when they have problems.

I took mine apart and soaked it in meths. It was OK for a couple of
years. I need to do it again now though.

where did you get the meth?

That's the usual abbreviation for mentholated spirits, basically ethanol.

Metholated, ****ing spelling checker.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital

On 10/26/2015 10:23 AM, newshound wrote:
I occasionally want to print drawings at A3, but my ancient Laserjet
8000 has just died. I swore I would never buy another inkjet, but all
the refurb A3 mono lasers are large, expensive, or both, whereas there
are several smaller, cheaper colour inkjets on the market. I guess I
might use one occasionally for photos or posters but I'm not worried
about exhibition quality. What *really* worries me is print head dryout
because I might only use it once a week.

Does anyone have any views / experience on current Epson / Canon / HP or
other A3 printers?

Don't need duplex. (A3 scanning might very occasionally be handy).

TIA

About seven years ago my old office Epson died. I replaced it with a
used 2100 laser, which works fine. I don't use it much anymore, but the
cartridge just needs replacement. I just ordered a new refill from
Cartridge World for $90.

--
PeterN
Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital

On Mon, 26 Oct 2015 22:35:50 +0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

On 26/10/2015 14:23, newshound wrote:
I occasionally want to print drawings at A3, but my ancient Laserjet
8000 has just died. I swore I would never buy another inkjet, but all
the refurb A3 mono lasers are large, expensive, or both, whereas there
are several smaller, cheaper colour inkjets on the market. I guess I
might use one occasionally for photos or posters but I'm not worried
about exhibition quality. What *really* worries me is print head dryout
because I might only use it once a week.

Does anyone have any views / experience on current Epson / Canon / HP or
other A3 printers?

Mines now a Canon Pixma ix6550 which was on offer when I got it.

It has the advantage of taking the same ink cartridges as another
multifunction printer that I own.

My only beef with Epson is that 1) the printer will die only if you
have purchased a complete new set of ink cartridges, and, 2) the ink
cartridges purchased for the old printer will not work in the new
printer.

I use third party clone inks

I use only Epson ink and Epson photo paper.

as I
don't need it photo real or much longevity. It replaced an i9000 that
lost its magic smoke after more than a decade of use.

Both have survived intermittent heavy use without issue and latterly on
cloned inks (though not the very cheapest ones).

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital

On Tue, 27 Oct 2015 10:37:50 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"nospam" wrote in message
.. .
In article , Vir
Campestris wrote:

Epsons have fixed print heads and usually are beyond economic repair
when they have problems.

I took mine apart and soaked it in meths. It was OK for a couple of
years. I need to do it again now though.

where did you get the meth?

That's the usual abbreviation for mentholated spirits, basically ethanol.

Oops.

Ethanol (ethyl alcohol) is drinkable and as such is normally taxed all
over the world. To render industrial grade ethyl alcohol undrinkable
(and hence not taxable) it is commonly contaminated with 25%-35%
Methyl alcohol which while drinkable, will cause brain damage. It is
usually dyed purple to warn the would be alcoholic. The dye can be
largely removed by filtering through a loaf of bread and desperate
alcoholics hopefully think that renders it safe to drink. It doesn't
though.

In any case, it is meth = methylated spirits, where spirits = ethanol.

p.s. My spell checker thinks it is mentholated too.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens
Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital

On Tue, 27 Oct 2015 10:44:58 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"nospam" wrote in message
In article , Vir
Campestris wrote:

Epsons have fixed print heads and usually are beyond economic repair
when they have problems.

I took mine apart and soaked it in meths. It was OK for a couple of
years. I need to do it again now though.

where did you get the meth?

That's the usual abbreviation for mentholated spirits, basically ethanol.

Metholated, ****ing spelling checker.

MethYlated!
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens
Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.photo.digital

wrote:

On 26/10/2015 14:29, Bob Minchin wrote:
Epsons have fixed print heads and usually are beyond economic repair
when they have problems.

I took mine apart and soaked it in meths. It was OK for a couple of
years. I need to do it again now though.

There is a lot of information out there about cleaning Epson print
heads. All kinds of stuff has been suggested: ammonia, isopropyly
alcohol, and particularly Windex window cleaner. I've never heard of
straight meths though.

What kind of printer is it?

My question would be "Which meth product?". Methylene chloride is a
pretty standard ingredient in cleaning solvents.

http://hpd.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/house...queryx=75-09-2

As commonly used in paint stripper. Not anywhere near my print head
thank you!
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Printers (again) Uncomplicated Inkjet AiO? Adrian C UK diy 72 August 21st 11 11:56 AM
Inkjet printers ng_reader Home Repair 64 January 31st 11 02:46 PM
OT - Inkjet printers? Harry Bloomfield[_3_] UK diy 22 August 18th 08 07:57 PM
Inkjet ink removal John UK diy 13 February 26th 07 10:42 PM
Home-made ink-level sensor for inkjet printers? Al Deveron UK diy 8 August 25th 06 08:11 PM