Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.home.repair

Default Inkjet printers

So, I have this printer the Canon MX700 all-in-one.

Which, I would recommend, only as the inks are affordable if you use
refurbs and such. Basically $2 an ink cart.

But, buyer beware, what will $2 get you? Pretty sure you can omit "quality".

I have two questions:

1) How do you know when your print-head has gone bad? I took it off,
soaked it in alcohol, put it back and it was a little better, but not
completely. Seriously, is there any difference between a new print head
and mine other than the new one isn't clogged?

and

2) Actually, I only have that one question.

Thanks in advance

Mr. Curious
Posted to alt.home.repair

ng_reader wrote:
So, I have this printer the Canon MX700 all-in-one.

Which, I would recommend, only as the inks are affordable if you use
refurbs and such. Basically $2 an ink cart.

But, buyer beware, what will $2 get you? Pretty sure you can omit
"quality".

I have two questions:

1) How do you know when your print-head has gone bad? I took it off,
soaked it in alcohol, put it back and it was a little better, but not
completely. Seriously, is there any difference between a new print head
and mine other than the new one isn't clogged?

and

2) Actually, I only have that one question.

Thanks in advance

Mr. Curious

Hi,
Printer uti;ity lets you clean things and do alignment w/o taking the
head out. I like Canon printers. I have MP990 and MX530

Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote:

I always assumed it was because they had a fax machine and not a
scanner. They will fax my labs or mail them to me, but they won't
email them.

Very often the 'policies' on the mode of transmission of something
depends on the resources available to the person doing the sending.

Some senders have access to a fax machine but they aren't provided with
a supply of envelopes or stamps.

Some senders with a hard copy of the lab report have access to a fax
machine and even envelopes and stamps, but they aren't furnished with a
computer or scanner to scan and email.

Some senders have a digital copy of the results but not a hard/paper
copy or other resources.

And so forth.

Fax machines are still very much around where other resources are
missing. Some facilities don't have a lot of computers with
connectivity, but they have more telephones and fax machines and copiers.

--
Mike Easter
Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.home.repair

"ng_reader" wrote in message
On 1/27/2011 12:51 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
?
"ng_reader" wrote
I have two questions:

1) How do you know when your print-head has gone bad? 2) Actually, I
only have that one question.

Try comp.printers newsgroup

doggone free usenet servers don't carry that newsgroup

i can't be the only idiot to try this. not that I'm an idiot.

try entering the word printer(s) into your news group seach option.

That said most cheap printers it's just not worth the time/money to fix.
Likely you can buy a referbished unit cheaper then you can buy the part (on
the assumption you can buy the part)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Easter wrote:
Metspitzer wrote:

[...]

My understanding is fax copy is equal to original legally.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 13:38:58 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Mike Easter wrote:
Metspitzer wrote:

[...]

Now that I think about it a little more, the hospital starts with a
digital copy of my labs. They either have to print it out and then
fax it, or they have a service that faxes the digital copy.

If security is not the right answer, it make me think long and hard
about the people responsible for my health care.
Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.home.repair

ng_reader wrote:
So, I have this printer the Canon MX700 all-in-one.

1) How do you know when your print-head has gone bad? I took it off,
soaked it in alcohol, put it back and it was a little better, but not
completely. Seriously, is there any difference between a new print
head
and mine other than the new one isn't clogged?

http://www.averad-blog.com/docs/ja/C...eadNozzles.pdf

Tells you how to check and clean the print heads and when its gone bad.

More info:
http://www.printerproblemsolved.co.u...hp?model_id=17

--
http://savewikileaks.net/another-wikileaks-address/
http://video.rutube.ru/86a89775776433978a1ef4a83538899b
Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.home.repair

http://www.averad-blog.com/docs/ja/C...eadNozzles.pdf

Tells you how to check and clean the print heads and when its gone bad.

More info:
http://www.printerproblemsolved.co.u...hp?model_id=17

thank you for your response.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Mike Easter wrote:
Metspitzer wrote:

[...]

Not necessarily - and an emailed JPEG is a whole lot better quality -
and can be accurate colour to boot.
Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.home.repair

On 1/27/2011 2:07 PM, jeff_wisnia wrote:
Steve Barker wrote:
On 1/27/2011 10:10 AM, ng_reader wrote:

So, I have this printer the Canon MX700 all-in-one.

Which, I would recommend, only as the inks are affordable if you use
refurbs and such. Basically $2 an ink cart.

But, buyer beware, what will $2 get you? Pretty sure you can omit
"quality".

I have two questions:

1) How do you know when your print-head has gone bad? I took it off,
soaked it in alcohol, put it back and it was a little better, but not
completely. Seriously, is there any difference between a new print head
and mine other than the new one isn't clogged?

and

2) Actually, I only have that one question.

Thanks in advance

Mr. Curious

I use an HP 8000 wireless and just keep a new one in stock. They're
cheaper on amazon dot com than the replacement ink. I stack the
printers in the barn, and use the ink and printheads that come with it
for $89. (a full replacement of ink and printheads is $125)

Do you get as much ink with the "new" printer as you do from the
"replacements"?

IIRC a lot of "new" inkjet printers come with an underfilled ink supply,
so you have to buy a "full" refill one rather quickly.

Jeff

I had heard that also. ALLs i know is that the ONE black cartridge i
bought at the store did NOT last as long as the ones that come with the
printers. I'm not buying any more at the store.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.home.repair

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 13:46:09 -0500, Metspitzer wrote:

On 27 Jan 2011 18:04:10 GMT, Dan C wrote:

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 11:10:09 -0500, ng_reader wrote:

So, I have this printer the Canon MX700 all-in-one.

Which, I would recommend, only as the inks are affordable if you use
refurbs and such. Basically $2 an ink cart.

But, buyer beware, what will $2 get you? Pretty sure you can omit
"quality".

I have two questions:

1) How do you know when your print-head has gone bad? I took it off,
soaked it in alcohol, put it back and it was a little better, but not
completely. Seriously, is there any difference between a new print
head and mine other than the new one isn't clogged?

and

2) Actually, I only have that one question.

Buy a whole new printer, not worth ****ing around trying to repair
something that isn't meant to be repaired.

I saw a color multi function Canon ink jet in Walmart for 35 bucks. I
don't think it had fax.

My Canon has a fax feature, but I don't have long distance on my phone.
When I need to send a fax I just ask for an email address. Scan it and
email it.

Receiving faxes are more complicated. I have to find out I am getting a
fax and put the machine in fax mode for the call. I can't get the
hospital to email faxes to me though.

Fax machines should have died 10 years ago.

What the **** does any of that drivel have to do with what I posted? Who
the **** are you replying to?

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he wondered why he bothered to answer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Mike Easter wrote:
Metspitzer wrote:

[...]

They do it that way, because that is the way they have always done it.
Change is scary for paper pushers- they resist it whenever and wherever
they can. BTDT at work numerous times. We even had people faxing within
the building, of all silly things.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Mike Easter wrote:
Metspitzer wrote:

[...]

a fax is not equal to an original document legally, just as a photocopy is
legally not the same as the original.

I won't claim to know what is actually legal or not in court, but faxes
are very often *accepted* as legal for 5 to 10 or more years now. I
just settled a car insurance claim from when someone hit my car. The
release form was emailed to me. I signed it and had it notarized, then,
at their request, faxed it back to them (the insurance company). I
still have the original notarized copy. Over 7 years ago most of the
paperwork for buying the house I am in was done by sending faxes back
and forth. (I lived 700 miles away).

I know back around 1989 the paperwork for the house I was buying was
originals sent back and forth by federal express (the seller moved out
of state). I remember it well because the fed ex package didn't show up
for our settlement date. Someone put the wrong zip code on it and it
showed up in another state. Being my first home purchase, that really
was a bummer.
Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.home.repair

On 28 Jan 2011 03:44:09 GMT, Dan C
wrote:

[...]

I do Usenet for "my" entertainment. Sorry if you feel left out.
That's a lie. I don't give a flying **** if you feel left out.

Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

OK, so you're an ignorant drooling moron, who can't answer what is asked.

Got it.

FOAD, punk.

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he hacked up a hairball.
Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.home.repair

Dan C wrote:

Buy a whole new printer, not worth ****ing around trying to repair
something that isn't meant to be repaired.

Right. We've junked many an ink-jet printer.

Where you CAN save money is on the cartridges. Enough money to provide a
handsome dowery for an ugly daughter.

We just bought a set of ink cartridges (8) for the printer we use for
printing CDs. The set came with 8 bottles of ink and 8 syringes to refill
the cartridges. The whole thing cost (I think) $17.00.

These re-fillable cartidges, moreover, had special chips that fooled the
printer driver into thinking the cartridges were always full.

Check Ebay for your printer's availability.

Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

"HeyBub" wrote in
m:

We just bought a set of ink cartridges (8) for the printer we use for
printing CDs. The set came with 8 bottles of ink and 8 syringes to
refill the cartridges. The whole thing cost (I think) $17.00.

I tried that, but apart from being messy, the ink didn't last long. Where
did you buy your stuff? I'd like to try again with something that would
work on my Canon iP6700D ...
Thanks in advance!

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Jan 28, 7:42*am, Han wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote innews:idmdnd0P5KAwX9_QnZ2dnUVZ_rWdnZ2d@earthlink. com:

We just bought a set of ink cartridges (8) for the printer we use for
printing CDs. The set came with 8 bottles of ink and 8 syringes to
refill the cartridges. The whole thing cost (I think) $17.00.

I tried that, but apart from being messy, the ink didn't last long. *Where
did you buy your stuff? *I'd like to try again with something that would
work on my Canon iP6700D ...
Thanks in advance!

--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid

==
I gave up on the refillable route. I now buy generic ink cartridges at
one third the price of regular replacements. Best part is that they
are made by the same manufacturers in CHINA. They are essentially the
same quality.
==
Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.home.repair

Found usenet alternative. posted. response came, thanks guy in
Netherlands. (I'm guessing)

Using another cheap cartridge solved 85% of the problems. Could be that
when I get another black replacement we will be to 100%.

In any event the use of inkjets is clearly one of cost. *If* there is a
steady supply of refurbished cartridges, it is WELL worth it. I have
been quite successful with the Canon product line, in as much as finding
the ebay marketplace willing to offer inks for, like I said, $1 to $4 a
piece. New ones are $30?

For that matter alone, I am sticking with Canon printers. But, you have
to buy ones that are 3-5 years old for a market to exist for ink-carts.

FWIW

On 1/27/2011 3:19 PM, NotMe wrote:
wrote in message
On 1/27/2011 12:51 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
?
wrote
I have two questions:

1) How do you know when your print-head has gone bad? 2) Actually, I
only have that one question.

Try comp.printers newsgroup

doggone free usenet servers don't carry that newsgroup

i can't be the only idiot to try this. not that I'm an idiot.

try entering the word printer(s) into your news group seach option.

That said most cheap printers it's just not worth the time/money to fix.
Likely you can buy a referbished unit cheaper then you can buy the part (on
the assumption you can buy the part)

Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Ask a flippant question, get a flippant answer.
Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Dan C. is a troll. He usually tells people to format their hard drives.
He's flippant and vindictive because his penis was accidentally amputated
in a surgery mix up with a man who had penile cancer.

Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.home.repair

Mike Easter wrote:

And so forth.

I think we (TINW) are placating the people who refuse to join the
21st century. They are lazy, they want a printed copy delivered
right to their desk without having to press a button. Then, if
something is not to their liking, the onus of modifying it and
re-transmitting it falls on the sender.

A good response is to send a fax with a black background and white
text. When it eats up their precious toner at a high rate they
are more willing to switch to email. ;-)

Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.home.repair

ng_reader wrote:

1) How do you know when your print-head has gone bad? I took it off,
soaked it in alcohol, put it back and it was a little better, but not
completely. Seriously, is there any difference between a new print head
and mine other than the new one isn't clogged?

Yes, unfortunately.

Once a print head gets clogged I've found no remedy other than to
replace it. I've tried alcohol with swabs, even acetone.

You have to decide whether it's cost effective to buy a new head,
or a new printer. In your case, if nothing else is wrong with the
printer or it's other multi-function features it may be better to
buy the print head. I see one on Amazon for $70 that is
refurbished by Cannon.

You can help prevent a clogged head by leaving the printer on all
the time, so it can do it's self cleaning everyday. Did you
regularly turn yours off?

Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I didn't ask you a flippant question. I asked you why you posted a bunch
of bull**** about fax machines in reply to my post telling the other guy
he should just replace his printer instead of trying to repair it.

How/why did you go off on a tangent about fax machines, and why reply to
*ME*, when I wasn't the one asking about the ****ing printer in the first
place?

You understand now?

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he mounted Piglet from behind.

Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.home.repair

On 1/28/2011 3:31 PM, G. Morgan wrote:
wrote:

1) How do you know when your print-head has gone bad? I took it off,
soaked it in alcohol, put it back and it was a little better, but not
completely. Seriously, is there any difference between a new print head
and mine other than the new one isn't clogged?

Yes, unfortunately.

Once a print head gets clogged I've found no remedy other than to
replace it. I've tried alcohol with swabs, even acetone.

You have to decide whether it's cost effective to buy a new head,
or a new printer. In your case, if nothing else is wrong with the
printer or it's other multi-function features it may be better to
buy the print head. I see one on Amazon for $70 that is
refurbished by Cannon.

You can help prevent a clogged head by leaving the printer on all
the time, so it can do it's self cleaning everyday. Did you
regularly turn yours off?

As a follow up, it was a defective cyan ink cart, once replaced, that
seemed to fix it. The black, however, still is not *perfect* after
soaking the head in isopropal alcohol over night.

At least not perfect on the self-test. But with another black in there
it might "fix itself".

As for Dan C, well, if I am writing about print heads why on earth would
I want the advice to "chuck it". I think, rather, I'd "chuck" your
answer. Silly.
Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.home.repair

ng_reader wrote:

As for Dan C, well, if I am writing about print heads why on earth would
I want the advice to "chuck it". I think, rather, I'd "chuck" your
answer. Silly.

I told you chuck the printhead too. Am I silly?

Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.home.repair

ng_reader wrote:

The black, however, still is not *perfect* after
soaking the head in isopropal alcohol over night.

At least not perfect on the self-test. But with another black in there
it might "fix itself".

The experts that I read recommend against alcohol in favor of
appropriately diluting ammonia with distilled water.

Alcohol doesn't work well and has disadvantages to the system.

Ammonia works much better and doesn't have those disadvantages, except
you have to be more careful about exposing yourself to it wrongly such
as breathing and mishandling.

--
Mike Easter
Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.home.repair

On 1/28/2011 6:17 PM, Mike Easter wrote:
ng_reader wrote:

The black, however, still is not *perfect* after soaking the head in
isopropal alcohol over night.

At least not perfect on the self-test. But with another black in there
it might "fix itself".

The experts that I read recommend against alcohol in favor of
appropriately diluting ammonia with distilled water.

Alcohol doesn't work well and has disadvantages to the system.

Ammonia works much better and doesn't have those disadvantages, except
you have to be more careful about exposing yourself to it wrongly such
as breathing and mishandling.

a-ha! I knew someone would provide some helpful information. Welp, the
alcohol route has been done, and done again.

Perhaps next time I'll try ammonia (as that's regularly in the house).
The distilled water (rain water in Kubrick's classic Strangelove), err,
not so easy. That's a special trip.

Of note, though, when researching, was that alcohol for we colonialists
is about 70% pure, whilst in Jolly Old, it's more than 90%. Is that a
truism?
Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.home.repair

On 1/28/2011 5:59 PM, G. Morgan wrote:
wrote:

As for Dan C, well, if I am writing about print heads why on earth would
I want the advice to "chuck it". I think, rather, I'd "chuck" your
answer. Silly.

I told you chuck the printhead too. Am I silly?

Well the easiest answer *would be* "get a new microwave oven". That's
always the case. But providing some additional inasmuch as providing a
thoughtful answer, does not deserve derision. And silly is derision.

Maybe Dan C isn't such a bad person after all, what do you think?

Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.home.repair

ng_reader wrote:

[snip]

Of note, though, when researching, was that alcohol for we colonialists
is about 70% pure, whilst in Jolly Old, it's more than 90%. Is that a
truism?

Here (east Texas) the Wal-Mart has both 70% and 90% alcohol.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"DO! or DO NOT! - there is no TRY." -- Jedi Master Yoda
Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.home.repair

wrote:

As for Dan C, well, if I am writing about print heads why on earth would
I want the advice to "chuck it". I think, rather, I'd "chuck" your
answer. Silly.

I told you chuck the printhead too. Am I silly?

Well the easiest answer *would be* "get a new microwave oven". That's
always the case. But providing some additional inasmuch as providing a
thoughtful answer, does not deserve derision. And silly is derision.

What the **** are you talking about? If you don't like the reply,
don't say anything. It's rude as hell to tell a respondent their
advice is "silly", and you'll "chuck it". Why waste energy to
deride someone who's trying to help you?

Maybe Dan C isn't such a bad person after all, what do you think?

Dan is okay with me. At least he knows his **** and doesn't ask
stupid ****ing questions.

Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.home.repair

ng_reader wrote:

Of note, though, when researching, was that alcohol for we colonialists
is about 70% pure, whilst in Jolly Old, it's more than 90%. Is that a
truism?

You can buy it in both strengths, genius. Since you're such a
cheapskate I figured you would have scoured the aisle. I bet you
asked for a 20% discount at the counter to make up for the
dilution.

Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.home.repair

wrote:

1) How do you know when your print-head has gone bad? I took it off,
soaked it in alcohol, put it back and it was a little better, but not
completely. Seriously, is there any difference between a new print head
and mine other than the new one isn't clogged?

Yes, unfortunately.

Once a print head gets clogged I've found no remedy other than to
replace it. I've tried alcohol with swabs, even acetone.

You have to decide whether it's cost effective to buy a new head,
or a new printer. In your case, if nothing else is wrong with the
printer or it's other multi-function features it may be better to
buy the print head. I see one on Amazon for $70 that is
refurbished by Cannon.

You can help prevent a clogged head by leaving the printer on all
the time, so it can do it's self cleaning everyday. Did you
regularly turn yours off?

I'll never buy an inkjet again. Between the printheads getting clogged,
and them following the Gillette business model of basically giving away
the printers and gouging forever on the refills, they just aren't worth
it. Entry-level lasers are just too cheap.

--
aem sends..
Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Wow. Some people take life way too seriously. And then there are those
who take usenet way, way too seriously! Let us all gather our thoughts
and never stray from the original subject. We are not people, we are
usenet robots.

Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.home.repair

On 1/28/2011 10:27 AM, Roy wrote:
On Jan 28, 7:42 am, wrote:
[...]

Where do you buy them?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Miklos wrote:
On 1/28/2011 10:27 AM, Roy wrote:
On Jan 28, 7:42 am, wrote:
[...]

I get them from eBay. A set of 6 carts. for Canon MP990
costs ~17.00 including postage. Works great. If one prints
a lot on inkjet, better invest in a CISS kit.
Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:

I'll never buy an inkjet again. Between the printheads getting clogged,
and them following the Gillette business model of basically giving away
the printers and gouging forever on the refills, they just aren't worth
it. Entry-level lasers are just too cheap.

That's true, and 95% of my printing is B&W. I've been eyeballing
them but I've had a Brother MFC-210C for a couple of years and it
keeps chugging away. I'm also well-stocked on ink for it, so I
hope it does not get bricked anytime soon.

Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Just remember what "entry level" and "cheap" mean.
If you want "inexpensive" laser class printers on the long run, you
cannot beat an OKIDATA LED printer. Like the Energizer bunny they just
keep on going, and going, and going, and-----
And you do not have to replace the whole drum assembly when you run
out of toner. A roughly $28 tube of toner does the trick, and the
drums last a LONG time. Just replaced the drum on my brother's unit I
sold him something like 8 years ago that prints all the invoices and
workorders in his auto repair shop. The drum was still in excellent
condition but the crud in the air (being in an active repair shop) had
stiffened up some of the bushings in the drive assembly in the drum,
causing paper feed to slow down and fault out.

They cost a bit more to BUY than an entry level Lexmark or HP, but a
LOT less to own.
Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Jan 28, 7:44*pm, Tony Miklos wrote:
On 1/28/2011 10:27 AM, Roy wrote:

On Jan 28, 7:42 am, *wrote:
[...]

I get mine from a small book store that sells computer supplies and
general home and office supplies. A travelling salesman calls on him
so I don't know all the poop.
==

OT - Inkjet printers? Harry Bloomfield[_3_] UK diy 22 August 18th 08 07:57 PM
Inkjet ink removal John UK diy 13 February 26th 07 10:42 PM
Home-made ink-level sensor for inkjet printers? Al Deveron UK diy 8 August 25th 06 08:11 PM
Canon inkjet Michele Smith Electronics Repair 1 September 5th 04 05:54 AM