Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.home.repair
ng_reader ng_reader is offline

Default Inkjet printers

On 1/28/2011 3:31 PM, G. Morgan wrote:
wrote:

1) How do you know when your print-head has gone bad? I took it off,
soaked it in alcohol, put it back and it was a little better, but not
completely. Seriously, is there any difference between a new print head
and mine other than the new one isn't clogged?

Yes, unfortunately.

Once a print head gets clogged I've found no remedy other than to
replace it. I've tried alcohol with swabs, even acetone.

You have to decide whether it's cost effective to buy a new head,
or a new printer. In your case, if nothing else is wrong with the
printer or it's other multi-function features it may be better to
buy the print head. I see one on Amazon for $70 that is
refurbished by Cannon.

You can help prevent a clogged head by leaving the printer on all
the time, so it can do it's self cleaning everyday. Did you
regularly turn yours off?

As a follow up, it was a defective cyan ink cart, once replaced, that
seemed to fix it. The black, however, still is not *perfect* after
soaking the head in isopropal alcohol over night.

At least not perfect on the self-test. But with another black in there
it might "fix itself".

As for Dan C, well, if I am writing about print heads why on earth would
I want the advice to "chuck it". I think, rather, I'd "chuck" your
answer. Silly.