Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stirring up controversy

HOW I MAKE PERFECT COFFEE

Boil the kettle (because I don't watch it), then either let it cool or
add some cold.
Two heaped table spoons strength 4 ground coffee per mug of coffee in
the cafetiere. Just enough water to fill the mug or mugs. Stir. Wait no
longer than 90 seconds. Stir again, press the thingy, and pour.
50 secs for one mug at 850W in the micro. 90 secs for two mugs.
Single cream to taste. Sugar to taste (I have two teaspoonsful.) Stir well.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 04:04:16 +0100, williamwright wrote:

HOW I MAKE PERFECT COFFEE

Boil the kettle (because I don't watch it), then either let it cool or
add some cold.
Two heaped table spoons strength 4 ground coffee per mug of coffee in
the cafetiere. Just enough water to fill the mug or mugs. Stir. Wait no
longer than 90 seconds. Stir again, press the thingy, and pour.
50 secs for one mug at 850W in the micro. 90 secs for two mugs.
Single cream to taste. Sugar to taste (I have two teaspoonsful.) Stir
well.

Bill

Similar, but no sugar or milk. Only make one cup at a time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/2020 04:04, williamwright wrote:
HOW I MAKE PERFECT COFFEE

Boil the kettle (because I don't watch it), then either let it cool or
add some cold.
Two heaped table spoons strength 4 ground coffee per mug of coffee in
the cafetiere. Just enough water to fill the mug or mugs. Stir. Wait no
longer than 90 seconds. Stir again, press the thingy, and pour.
50 secs for one mug at 850W in the micro. 90 secs for two mugs.
Single cream to taste. Sugar to taste (I have two teaspoonsful.) Stir well.

Bill

Coffee???? Urgh..... It actually smells like something is burning and on
fire.....

Its considered to be vile in our house that the two sets of builders we
had on two seperate occasions were asking for coffee instead of tea to
our surprise (I am rather fond of "builder's" tea which is two tea bags
in a mug but without the sugar)

We explained we would happily make tea for them but we drew the line at
making coffee.

We gave them a camping table, kettle, jug of milk, mugs, teaspoons,
sugar cubes and a brand new sealed jar of *spit* coffee *spit* on a tray.

They were pointed to an outside tap which also had an outdoor socket
next to it.

So they made their own outside!

S.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/2020 09:31, No Name wrote:
On 15/10/2020 04:04, williamwright wrote:
HOW I MAKE PERFECT COFFEE

Boil the kettle (because I don't watch it), then either let it cool or
add some cold.
Two heaped table spoons strength 4 ground coffee per mug of coffee in
the cafetiere. Just enough water to fill the mug or mugs. Stir. Wait no
longer than 90 seconds. Stir again, press the thingy, and pour.
50 secs for one mug at 850W in the micro. 90 secs for two mugs.
Single cream to taste. Sugar to taste (I have two teaspoonsful.) Stir well.

Bill

Coffee???? Urgh..... It actually smells like something is burning and on
fire.....

Yep - I don't know what the attraction is. Overpowering smell and bitter
taste. I find it strange that after spending a lot of money on good food
in a high-class restaurant, people then ask for coffee at the end of the
meal which completely drowns the taste of anything they ate. Something
like green tea would be much better after a meal, but do many
restaurants serve it?

Its considered to be vile in our house that the two sets of builders we
had on two seperate occasions were asking for coffee instead of tea to
our surprise (I am rather fond of "builder's" tea which is two tea bags
in a mug but without the sugar)

We explained we would happily make tea for them but we drew the line at
making coffee.

We gave them a camping table, kettle, jug of milk, mugs, teaspoons,
sugar cubes and a brand new sealed jar of *spit* coffee *spit* on a tray.

They were pointed to an outside tap which also had an outdoor socket
next to it.

So they made their own outside

I don't like coffee, but will reluctantly drink cappuccino in a cafe as
it seems to me most coffee houses can't make a reliably decent cup of
tea, and to some extent the chocolate masks the coffee taste.

We are, however, in a very small minority. C'est la vie...

--

Jeff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

williamwright explained on 15/10/2020 :
HOW I MAKE PERFECT COFFEE

Boil the kettle (because I don't watch it), then either let it cool or add
some cold.
Two heaped table spoons strength 4 ground coffee per mug of coffee in the
cafetiere. Just enough water to fill the mug or mugs. Stir. Wait no longer
than 90 seconds. Stir again, press the thingy, and pour.
50 secs for one mug at 850W in the micro. 90 secs for two mugs.
Single cream to taste. Sugar to taste (I have two teaspoonsful.) Stir well.

I use one of those gurgle, gurgle electric ones - where you put the
measured amount of water in the machine, coffee in the reusable filter
and a glass jug kept warm on the hot plate.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/2020 04:04, williamwright wrote:
HOW I MAKE PERFECT COFFEE

Boil the kettle (because I don't watch it), then either let it cool or
add some cold.
Two heaped table spoons strength 4 ground coffee per mug of coffee in
the cafetiere. Just enough water to fill the mug or mugs. Stir. Wait no
longer than 90 seconds. Stir again, press the thingy, and pour.
50 secs for one mug at 850W in the micro. 90 secs for two mugs.
Single cream to taste. Sugar to taste (I have two teaspoonsful.) Stir well.

Bill

Boil kettle
Open jar
Heaped teaspoon of granules into a mug
Pour on water
Add a splash of skimmed milk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 10:19:48 +0100, alan_m wrote:

HOW I MAKE PERFECT COFFEE

Boil kettle
Open jar
Heaped teaspoon of granules into a mug
Pour on water
Add a splash of skimmed milk

+1

Semi-skimmed though, skimmed is white water.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg laid this down on his screen :
I did try a cafetiere, but
it let fine grounds through, and I like to drain the mug and don't
like the last mouthful to be full of grounds.

As said, I use one of those machines with the hotplate and glass jug to
keep it warm. I don't mind the fine grounds which escape through the
filter, which land in the bottom of the cup. I buy Lidl's cheapest
ready ground coffee (Gold something), supplied tightly vacuum packed
and like a brick, carefully measured into the filter with a plastic
scoop. I have the water reservoir level viewer marked with a tape
arrow, so I always get the amount of water just right for two cups and
have china coffee cups reserved for the purpose - freebies from Esso
petrol from 40 years ago.

My ritual, is to leave the coffee machine lid up, turn it on, then wait
until it is gurgling well before putting the lid down. My theory is
that the initial gurgle will be circulating cold water into the filter.
Lid up, the water goes back in the reservoir.

If I am not too desperate for the first coffee, I like to leave it in
the jug on the hotplate, to gain a bit of extra heat. It cools down on
its way through the coffee grounds and filter.

Then a spoon of brown sugar and cream.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote on 15/10/2020 :
Boil kettle
Open jar
Heaped teaspoon of granules into a mug
Pour on water
Add a splash of skimmed milk

That's not coffee, its an apology for coffee.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 10:19:48 +0100, alan_m wrote:

On 15/10/2020 04:04, williamwright wrote:
HOW I MAKE PERFECT COFFEE

Boil the kettle (because I don't watch it), then either let it cool or
add some cold.
Two heaped table spoons strength 4 ground coffee per mug of coffee in
the cafetiere. Just enough water to fill the mug or mugs. Stir. Wait no
longer than 90 seconds. Stir again, press the thingy, and pour.
50 secs for one mug at 850W in the micro. 90 secs for two mugs.
Single cream to taste. Sugar to taste (I have two teaspoonsful.) Stir
well.

Bill

Boil kettle Open jar Heaped teaspoon of granules into a mug Pour on
water Add a splash of skimmed milk

Place mug under spout
Push button
When coffee is made, steam milk and add

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/2020 10:29, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
alan_m wrote on 15/10/2020 :
Boil kettle
Open jar
Heaped teaspoon of granules into a mug
Pour on water
Add a splash of skimmed milk

That's not coffee, its an apology for coffee.

At least it's not changing a drink named coffee to something else by
adding sugar!

I'm aware that unless the beans are plucked from a bush by a virgin in
some remote blue painted hill in Jamaica and then passed through the
digestive tract of your moggy that for some it's not real coffee.

The instant I drink is much better than I've had in some commercial
establishments where they grind the beans and use a machine costing
thousands to make the resulting liquid. However after many decades of
using skimmed milk in tea and coffee anything made with full fat milk
gives the drink an underlying fatty milky taste that I don't
particularly like.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote on 15/10/2020 :
Boil kettle
Open jar
Heaped teaspoon of granules into a mug
Pour on water
Add a splash of skimmed milk

That's not coffee, its an apology for coffee.

At least it's not changing a drink named coffee to something else by
adding sugar!

I'm aware that unless the beans are plucked from a bush by a virgin in
some remote blue painted hill in Jamaica and then passed through the
digestive tract of your moggy that for some it's not real coffee.

There is middle ground.
No instant quite has the flavour of ground beans, for me, and it feels
like instant is higher in caffeine, too.

The instant I drink is much better than I've had in some commercial
establishments where they grind the beans and use a machine costing
thousands to make the resulting liquid. However after many decades of
using skimmed milk in tea and coffee anything made with full fat milk
gives the drink an underlying fatty milky taste that I don't
particularly like.

I agree with that. I also agree that many commercial coffee ideas make
decent coffee taste like ****,

I drink ground and instant. Just two or three varieties of each and
ignore the rest, after years, those are to me acceptable drinks.But I
regard them as different drinks with the same name.

As far as making them I have tried every conceivable way there is and
have settled on a stainless steel cafetiere for the ground, and pour
boiling water on instant. Simple, achieves nearly all of what to me is
desirable, and is bombproof and cheap

If camping, or in hotels etc, use coffee bags,

--
when things get difficult you just have to lie

Jean Claud Jüncker
Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m laid this down on his screen :
The instant I drink is much better than I've had in some commercial
establishments where they grind the beans and use a machine costing thousands
to make the resulting liquid. However after many decades of using skimmed
milk in tea and coffee anything made with full fat milk gives the drink an
underlying fatty milky taste that I don't particularly like.

I'll go with that - I don't like coffee from the commercial places at
all. Better than those, is the instant coffee granules we use here, for
between times when I don't make the 'proper' coffee. Again, that is
from Lidl.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:
On 15 Oct 2020 at 10:26:15 BST, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 10:19:48 +0100, alan_m wrote:

HOW I MAKE PERFECT COFFEE

Boil kettle
Open jar
Heaped teaspoon of granules into a mug
Pour on water
Add a splash of skimmed milk

+1

Semi-skimmed though, skimmed is white water.

1% milk is perfectly adequate, trouble is it's no longer in the
soopermarkets.

But its only got half the goodness of semi skimmed. ;-). Ill grant you it
tastes a heap better than skimmed milk though.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 10:19:48 +0100, alan_m wrote:

HOW I MAKE PERFECT COFFEE

Boil kettle
Open jar
Heaped teaspoon of granules into a mug
Pour on water
Add a splash of skimmed milk

+1

Semi-skimmed though, skimmed is white water.

when we had a cat, she wouldn't touch the fully skimmed stuff

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote on 15/10/2020 :
[...]

The Seattle based lot for a start.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/2020 12:16, charles wrote:

when we had a cat, she wouldn't touch the fully skimmed stuff

I was under the impression that despite the traditional portrayal of
putting down a saucer of milk for a cat it wasn't good for them and a
cat should only be given water to drink.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
On 15/10/2020 12:16, charles wrote:

when we had a cat, she wouldn't touch the fully skimmed stuff

I was under the impression that despite the traditional portrayal of
putting down a saucer of milk for a cat it wasn't good for them and a
cat should only be given water to drink.

Like dogs shouldn't be given choclate

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

HOW I MAKE PERFECT COFFEE

Boil the kettle (because I don't watch it), then either let it cool or
add some cold.
Two heaped table spoons strength 4 ground coffee per mug of coffee in
the cafetiere. Just enough water to fill the mug or mugs. Stir. Wait no
longer than 90 seconds. Stir again, press the thingy, and pour.
50 secs for one mug at 850W in the micro. 90 secs for two mugs.
Single cream to taste. Sugar to taste (I have two teaspoonsful.) Stir well.

Level spoonful of decaff in a mug. Suitable quantity of oat milk.

( https://ibb.co/pKGqZqV )

Boil kettle and fill mug, stir, drink. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" Wrote in message:
One has to be very careful if you let water boil in a microwave as the
surface tension stops it from boiling due to the way it heats evenly. Then
put anything in that breaks the surface and it erupts.

Brian

Thats never ever happened to me yet...
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/2020 12:33, alan_m wrote:
On 15/10/2020 12:16, charles wrote:

when we had a* cat, she wouldn't touch the fully skimmed stuff

I was under the impression that despite the traditional portrayal of
putting down a saucer of milk for a cat it wasn't good for them and a
cat should only be given water to drink.

That is correct as the cat's digestive system cannot digest Lactose
(because their livers do not produce the enzyme required (Lactase) to
break the Lactose down)

undigested lactose will stay in their intestines rather than passing
into the bloodstream, and end up fermenting, says Dr. Richter. Whole,
2 percent, and skim cows milk can also add unhealthy amounts of fat to
your cats diet. Since cats dont have the enzyme necessary for
digesting lactose, drinking milk can lead to gastrointestinal issues
such as an upset stomach, diarrhea, vomiting, loss of appetite and
weight, abdominal pain and discomfort, and cause behavior changes such
as increased scratching.

You can buy milk that has had the lactose removed and thus the cat can
drink this. Otherwise its water

S.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/2020 13:15, Tim Streater wrote:
On 15 Oct 2020 at 12:55:31 BST, charles wrote:

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
On 15/10/2020 12:16, charles wrote:

when we had a cat, she wouldn't touch the fully skimmed stuff

I was under the impression that despite the traditional portrayal of
putting down a saucer of milk for a cat it wasn't good for them and a
cat should only be given water to drink.

Like dogs shouldn't be given choclate

This is also correct. It's fairly toxic to IIRC most animals (except humans).

Theobromine, formerly known as xantheose, is a bitter alkaloid of the
cacao plant, with the chemical formula CHNO. It is found in chocolate

Humans can break down the theobromine but most animals cannot break it down
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

HOW I MAKE PERFECT COFFEE

Boil the kettle (because I don't watch it), then either let it cool or
add some cold.
Two heaped table spoons strength 4 ground coffee per mug of coffee in
the cafetiere. Just enough water to fill the mug or mugs. Stir. Wait no
longer than 90 seconds. Stir again, press the thingy, and pour.
50 secs for one mug at 850W in the micro. 90 secs for two mugs.
Single cream to taste. Sugar to taste (I have two teaspoonsful.) Stir well.

Level spoonful of decaff in a mug. Suitable quantity of oat milk.

( https://ibb.co/pKGqZqV )

Boil kettle and fill mug, stir, drink. ;-)

I prefer decaff coffee too (L'OR Decaffeinated Instant Coffee) but found if I used soya 'fake milk' it went funny, sort of coagulated.
So went back to 'normal milk' then by accident and then a little test I discovered if the temprature of the coffee was below ~62C
when adding the soya it didn't coagulate.
This came about after I was trying to work out why soya 'milk' was OK with tea but not in coffee, I guess with the tea bag
in the cup for a few mins allowed the brew to cool to about 60C before I added the 'milk'

Had fun using my 'laser' gun thermometer, which I also use for checking the bath water temperature and soup
and as many things I can find to use it on.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/2020 13:08, Jimk wrote:
"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" Wrote in message:
One has to be very careful if you let water boil in a microwave as the
surface tension stops it from boiling due to the way it heats evenly. Then
put anything in that breaks the surface and it erupts.

Brian

Thats never ever happened to me yet...

I've had the volcano experience after heating a mug full of skimmed milk
in a microwave for a couple of minutes and then trying to add drinking
chocolate powder. As soon as the powder hit the surface of the milk much
of the contents of the mug rapidly ended up on the work surface.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 15 October 2020 at 13:28:16 UTC+1, No Name wrote:
[...]

Yes I agree with the above, I read a similar post about this where the person said that
after thier cat had drunk milk it had a dire rear. I assume he meant diarrhea , but it seemed so apt, correct and funny.
Poor kitty

S.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/2020 04:04, williamwright wrote:

HOW I MAKE PERFECT COFFEE

Boil the kettle (because I don't watch it), then either let it cool or
add some cold.
Two heaped table spoons strength 4 ground coffee per mug of coffee in
the cafetiere. Just enough water to fill the mug or mugs. Stir. Wait no
longer than 90 seconds. Stir again, press the thingy, and pour.
50 secs for one mug at 850W in the micro. 90 secs for two mugs.
Single cream to taste. Sugar to taste (I have two teaspoonsful.) Stir well.

1) 2 tbsp measures of ground coffee in a miniature cafetière.
2) Nearly boiling water nearly to the top.
3) 1 tsp demerara sugar in a mug, plus a shot of Napoleon brandy (35ml).
4) After 5 minutes brewing, push down the plunger and pour the coffee
into the mug leaving room for...
5) Double cream poured over the back of a spoon.
6) Serve with a selection of biscuits.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Coffee???? Urgh..... It actually smells like something is burning and on
fire.....

Yep - I don't know what the attraction is. Overpowering smell and bitter
taste. I find it strange that after spending a lot of money on good food
in a high-class restaurant, people then ask for coffee at the end of the
meal which completely drowns the taste of anything they ate. Something
like green tea would be much better after a meal, but do many
restaurants serve it?

+1.

Even my in-laws find coffee a vile smell drink like my wife and I do.

The MIL drinks camomile tea, the FIL drinks hot chocolate, wifey drinsk
green tea and I drink very strong fruit tea (4 fruit tea bags in one mug)

[...]

The smell of coffee is so vile I cannot physically enter a Costly coffee
or a Starsucks shop.

I cannot even carry a mug of hot coffee that someone has asked me to
take to so and so due to the smell.

I can even smell it on people's breath hours after they have drunk it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

HOW I MAKE PERFECT COFFEE

Boil the kettle (because I don't watch it), then either let it cool or
add some cold.
Two heaped table spoons strength 4 ground coffee per mug of coffee in
the cafetiere. Just enough water to fill the mug or mugs. Stir. Wait no
longer than 90 seconds. Stir again, press the thingy, and pour.
50 secs for one mug at 850W in the micro. 90 secs for two mugs.
Single cream to taste. Sugar to taste (I have two teaspoonsful.) Stir well.

Level spoonful of decaff in a mug. Suitable quantity of oat milk.

( https://ibb.co/pKGqZqV )

Boil kettle and fill mug, stir, drink. ;-)

I prefer decaff coffee too (L'OR Decaffeinated Instant Coffee)

I wouldn't say I prefer decaff, it's just we were advised to cut back
caffeine.

but found if I used soya 'fake milk' it went funny, sort of coagulated.

Yeah, that's why we use oat milk for hot drinks. ;-)

So went back to 'normal milk' then by accident and then a little test I discovered if the temprature of the coffee was below ~62C
when adding the soya it didn't coagulate.

Yeah, I've found that but oat is a bit creamier (and I can't taste the
oat in it etc).

This came about after I was trying to work out why soya 'milk' was OK with tea but not in coffee, I guess with the tea bag
in the cup for a few mins allowed the brew to cool to about 60C before I added the 'milk'

Yeah, that sounds right ... and why I put the instant coffee and milk
in first for coffee, so I don't scald the coffee and milk in last for
tea (because I want it brewed).

Had fun using my 'laser' gun thermometer, which I also use for checking the bath water temperature and soup
and as many things I can find to use it on.

Yeah, they can be 'fun' for all sorts of things (I've used them to
measure oil temperatures for cooking popadoms etc). ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/2020 13:28, No Name wrote:
[...]

Cats however thrive on cream which is nearly all fat..

and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally
important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for
the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the
truth is the greatest enemy of the State.

Joseph Goebbels

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/2020 12:55, charles wrote:
In article ,
alan_m wrote:
On 15/10/2020 12:16, charles wrote:

when we had a cat, she wouldn't touch the fully skimmed stuff

I was under the impression that despite the traditional portrayal of
putting down a saucer of milk for a cat it wasn't good for them and a
cat should only be given water to drink.

Like dogs shouldn't be given choclate

Doesn't mean they don't like to eat it though.

In a pub i used to go to (over 40 yrs ago), the owners dog loved
Maltesers, it's party trick was to sit near the bar and when someone
came to order a drink would paw their leg to ask for some. (It was quite
and old dog so had no obvious ill effects)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/2020 09:31, No Name wrote:
Coffee???? Urgh..... It actually smells like something is burning and on
fire.....

Its considered to be vile in our house that the two sets of builders we
had on two seperate occasions were asking for coffee instead of tea to
our surprise (I am rather fond of "builder's" tea which is two tea bags
in a mug but without the sugar)

We explained we would happily make tea for them but we drew the line at
making coffee.

Yeah, when I was working I sometimes encountered nutters.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:
On 15/10/2020 12:16, charles wrote:

when we had a cat, she wouldn't touch the fully skimmed stuff

I was under the impression that despite the traditional portrayal of
putting down a saucer of milk for a cat it wasn't good for them and a
cat should only be given water to drink.

Like dogs shouldn't be given choclate

And old men shouldn't be given beer or gin.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/2020 13:30, No Name wrote:
Theobromine, formerly known as xantheose, is a bitter alkaloid of the
cacao plant, with the chemical formula CHNO. It is found in chocolate

Humans can break down the theobromine but most animals cannot break it down

One year our dog raided the chocolates under the Christmas tree. He went
completely wappy, running round at mach 9, for the rest of the day.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

*** alan_m wrote:
On 15/10/2020 12:16, charles wrote:

when we had a* cat, she wouldn't touch the fully skimmed stuff

I was under the impression that despite the traditional portrayal of
putting down a saucer of milk for a cat it wasn't good for them and a
cat should only be given water to drink.

Like dogs shouldn't be given choclate

And old men shouldn't be given beer or gin.

Bill

Do you have a scientific justification for that Bill?

There has to be some pleasure in getting old!

Too cold? Not enough stirring? Or something else? [email protected] Woodworking 37 November 2nd 14 12:03 AM
Stirring paint freecycle UK diy 5 March 9th 09 10:19 AM
Amana RadarRange: Ate It's Own Stirring Device? (PeteCresswell) Electronics Repair 8 August 18th 07 11:49 PM
Stirring Watco? Mark & Juanita Woodworking 6 October 12th 04 02:59 AM