Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stirring up controversy

On 15/10/2020 11:01, alan_m wrote:
On 15/10/2020 10:29, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
alan_m wrote on 15/10/2020 :
Boil kettle
Open jar
Heaped teaspoon of granules into a mug
Pour on water
Add a splash of skimmed milk

That's not coffee, its an apology for coffee.

At least it's not changing a drink named coffee to something else by
adding sugar!

I'm aware that unless the beans are plucked from a bush by a virgin in
some remote blue painted hill in Jamaica and then passed through the
digestive tract of your moggy that for some it's not real coffee.

There is middle ground.
No instant quite has the flavour of ground beans, for me, and it feels
like instant is higher in caffeine, too.

The instant I drink is much better than I've had in some commercial
establishments where they grind the beans and use a machine costing
thousands to make the resulting liquid. However after many decades of
using skimmed milk in tea and coffee anything made with full fat milk
gives the drink an underlying fatty milky taste that I don't
particularly like.

I agree with that. I also agree that many commercial coffee ideas make
decent coffee taste like ****,

I drink ground and instant. Just two or three varieties of each and
ignore the rest, after years, those are to me acceptable drinks.But I
regard them as different drinks with the same name.

As far as making them I have tried every conceivable way there is and
have settled on a stainless steel cafetiere for the ground, and pour
boiling water on instant. Simple, achieves nearly all of what to me is
desirable, and is bombproof and cheap

If camping, or in hotels etc, use coffee bags,

--
€œwhen things get difficult you just have to lie€

€• Jean Claud Jüncker