Mark & Juanita

Default Stirring Watco?

I'm applying Watco clear wiping poly to the cherry entertainment
center after applying Danish oil. [currently doing the door panels so I can
assemble the doors]. The instructions on the Watco can say to stir (not
shake) before using. Given that these are 1 quart cans with a standard
screw cap, stirring is an interesting process.
http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=932-460

Are there really elements that separate out of clear Watco, or is
this a carry-over from the colored Watcos?

George

Likely a carryover, but I always "stir" the Minwax variety by agitating the
can. Invert a few times and don't worry. It's thin, you're using a rag,
and there's always sandpaper.

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message

I'm applying Watco clear wiping poly to the cherry entertainment
center after applying Danish oil. [currently doing the door panels so I

can
assemble the doors]. The instructions on the Watco can say to stir (not
shake) before using. Given that these are 1 quart cans with a standard
screw cap, stirring is an interesting process.
http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=932-460

Are there really elements that separate out of clear Watco, or is
this a carry-over from the colored Watcos?

Pat

I just applied some Watco that I think has been sitting for 10 years. I
shook it a couple of times and used it. No problem.

Slowhand

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message

I'm applying Watco clear wiping poly to the cherry entertainment
center after applying Danish oil. [currently doing the door panels so I

can
assemble the doors]. The instructions on the Watco can say to stir (not
shake) before using. Given that these are 1 quart cans with a standard
screw cap, stirring is an interesting process.
http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=932-460

Are there really elements that separate out of clear Watco, or is
this a carry-over from the colored Watcos?

I stir it. The main reason is I don't want any residual chunks that may
have formed on the bottom ending up on my rag or brush. YMMV.
SH

Rumpty

I no longer use Watco, but used gallons of it over the years, I never
stirred, just shook a little and poured it out. I never had a problem of
settling.

--

Rumpty

"Pat" wrote in message
I just applied some Watco that I think has been sitting for 10 years. I
shook it a couple of times and used it. No problem.

George

The OP was talking about the wiping Poly. I imagine you and others are
referring to the "Danish oil" variant.

WATCO is now back to the phenolic resin? Haven't used it since formula
changed the first time.

"Pat" wrote in message
I just applied some Watco that I think has been sitting for 10 years. I
shook it a couple of times and used it. No problem.

Mark & Juanita

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 08:21:04 -0400, "George" george@least wrote:

Likely a carryover, but I always "stir" the Minwax variety by agitating the
can. Invert a few times and don't worry. It's thin, you're using a rag,
and there's always sandpaper.

Thanks to everyone for their replies. I have been stirring with a thin
stick and have seen no issues in the results.