Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Stirring up controversy

On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 05:33:17 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave
wrote:

On Thursday, 15 October 2020 at 13:13:31 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 04:04:16 +0100, williamwright
wrote:

HOW I MAKE PERFECT COFFEE

Boil the kettle (because I don't watch it), then either let it cool or
add some cold.
Two heaped table spoons strength 4 ground coffee per mug of coffee in
the cafetiere. Just enough water to fill the mug or mugs. Stir. Wait no
longer than 90 seconds. Stir again, press the thingy, and pour.
50 secs for one mug at 850W in the micro. 90 secs for two mugs.
Single cream to taste. Sugar to taste (I have two teaspoonsful.) Stir well.

Level spoonful of decaff in a mug. Suitable quantity of oat milk.

( https://ibb.co/pKGqZqV )

Boil kettle and fill mug, stir, drink. ;-)

I prefer decaff coffee too (L'OR Decaffeinated Instant Coffee)

I wouldn't say I prefer decaff, it's just we were advised to cut back
caffeine.

but found if I used soya 'fake milk' it went funny, sort of coagulated.

Yeah, that's why we use oat milk for hot drinks. ;-)

So went back to 'normal milk' then by accident and then a little test I discovered if the temprature of the coffee was below ~62C
when adding the soya it didn't coagulate.

Yeah, I've found that but oat is a bit creamier (and I can't taste the
oat in it etc).

This came about after I was trying to work out why soya 'milk' was OK with tea but not in coffee, I guess with the tea bag
in the cup for a few mins allowed the brew to cool to about 60C before I added the 'milk'

Yeah, that sounds right ... and why I put the instant coffee and milk
in first for coffee, so I don't scald the coffee and milk in last for
tea (because I want it brewed).

Had fun using my 'laser' gun thermometer, which I also use for checking the bath water temperature and soup
and as many things I can find to use it on.

Yeah, they can be 'fun' for all sorts of things (I've used them to
measure oil temperatures for cooking popadoms etc). ;-)

Cheers, T i m